Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rerouting Fuel Filter/Fuel Lines Away From Dizzy?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Rerouting Fuel Filter/Fuel Lines Away From Dizzy? Reply with quote

So, tried several searches and got too much input to wade through.....

rolled the Thing out Friday to fill the tank with super and check out the mechanics and ask our local Discount Import Parts counter employee where he suggested I move the fuel line/fuel filter. Right before Xmas, I redid the fuel lines from trunk back and engine firewall forward. WOW, was that a shock and now I have no more gas smell. REPLACE YOUR FUEL LINES NOW! Mine cracked and fell to pieces when I removed the clips and slipped them off the Metal line Embarassed

I noticed during our recent snow and cold snap that I had a spark coming from my Dizzy one night when I fired up the Thing in a dark garage. I clamped the connections and redid them all tight and no longer see any live spark. My fuel filter is right next to the Dizzy! He suggested that I just lengthen the line and tuck it back away from the Dizzy.

Any pics, posts or suggestions will be much appreciated. Want to do it right the first time!

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Jeffrey
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a topic about Beetles and fires. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131225

First off replace the distributor cap and wires. If they are sparking, there's half your problem.

The safest and best location for the filter is under the tank. There is protects the hardline in the body from getting clogged with junk and the filter is protected. The next best place is next to the tranny.

Also don't use the cheap plastic filters. They are junk and are only made because cheapskates want them. Spend a whole $3 and get a metal filter.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/465626/Hastings_Filters_GF1_Fuel_Filter

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Here's a topic about Beetles and fires. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131225

First off replace the distributor cap and wires. If they are sparking, there's half your problem.

The safest and best location for the filter is under the tank. There is protects the hardline in the body from getting clogged with junk and the filter is protected. The next best place is next to the tranny.

Also don't use the cheap plastic filters. They are junk and are only made because cheapskates want them. Spend a whole $3 and get a metal filter.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/465626/Hastings_Filters_GF1_Fuel_Filter

Thanks Glenn for the Links and suggestions.That thread is pregnant with info I sought! So, where the metal line goes forward through the firewall is (2nds choice for you) where you would suggest placing the filter? That is not so bad at all!

I have done some reading in this forum about dual filters, one up front and one in back. Just another thing to check but, makes perfect sense with the age of these Things. I have heard both schools of thought on the fuel filters. Clear= easier to see blockages but not as hearty. Metal= More expensive and unable to see the blockage. I guess it really does not matter as I take mine off and try to blow it out monthly and replace quarterly when driving daily, and, I always have spare fuel line, filters and tools on hand.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel the need to run two filters, then its time to pull the tank and have it "hot tanked" and sealed. Remember these cars never came with a filter from the factory.

I have a metal filter next to the tranny and zip tied to the bowen tube so it doesn't bounce around.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If you feel the need to run two filters, then its time to pull the tank and have it "hot tanked" and sealed. Remember these cars never came with a filter from the factory.

I have a metal filter next to the tranny and zip tied to the bowen tube so it doesn't bounce around.

Cool. Tank has been "Hot Tanked" already. No issues there, just want the car to be around for a few more years so I will do as you say. Thanks!
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Filter Reply with quote

All of the VW stuff I have read and seen, there has been no fuel filter. Anyone else see anything that showed a fuel filter that is an OFFICIAL VW publication?
Anchorage, AK
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory fuel filter...
#1 in the tank, wrapped around the pick-up tube
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-
#2 Hiding under the top of the OE fuel pump. Page 3, factory owners manual, bottom right photo. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73thing/73thingmanual.pdf
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: filter Reply with quote

Forgot about the fuel screen. doesn't do much. Make sure you have cleaned the fuel tank of any crud that finds it way into the fuel tank from fuel fill ups.
My own habbit is to take the fuel tank out every winter and give it a good cleaning since it spends most of it's time like a bear in winter.
RejectX I found works good at keeping some crud from attaching itself to the tank walls during the off season. Aslo you use it as a paint coating to help keep dirt from sticking to the paint and easier to wipe off brake dust from the wheels and back side of chrome hubcaps. Aviation places sell RejectX, cheap stuff too.
Anchorage, AK
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A screen is not a filter.

Every modern car has a screen/sock in the tank. They also have a replaceable filter near the tank.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Glenn, a screen is a filter, it may only filter out the big chunks, but it does filter and yes all modern cars have one too and they keep the big chunks from going through the very expensive pump.
-
Anyway, the second factory "Filter" was in the fuel pump and between the two the system worked great.
-
Now as the filter top pump hasn't been available for a long time the system does need another filter and I agree with you put it under the tank and call it done.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the location of my fuel filter. I have been doing it this way for years with nary a problem. I replace the fuel filter every oil change. It doesn't show in the pic but it is zip tied to the heater duct clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn those dual cleaners are SEXY!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: