Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible move to Canada?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Possible move to Canada? Reply with quote

I would like to stay on the West side of the country in B.C. What are good places to live in and do they have a good VW dealer? Any exsperences or stories would be great. Thanks, Scott.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Victoria B.C.?
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

It gets cold there; like snow and stuff. What are you trying to do ?

Victoria is on an island. That might annoy you after a while, or not. I lived in Vancouver for nine months when I attended the University of British Columbia for a year. Loved the place at the end of summer and during the fall but MAN.... this like, white stuff started coating everything. F**cking weird.

I got out of there.

Canadians are kinda strange people too. It's like being in the twilight zone; they sound like us but then they start talking about weird things like free health care and no guns.

Do yourself a favor and THINK about it.

Are you planning on living there illegally ? That would make it cool.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to move to Canada? Is it for work, or do you just want to get away from things?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the syory. I went to school at UTI for auto mechanics. The state paid for part of my school. I have the paperwork. Well it seems they have changed their mind and want it back. I faxed them the contrct and they said it was no good. So they are trying to garnish my pay. They want 1/3 of what I make. That leaves me with almost nothing. The auto industry is slow and the gov't wants what little I have. I have tried to fight them but it no use without a lawyer. I cannot get. I am sick of California as the gov't here is just screwing everything up. I am just tire of it. I am ready for a change. It seems no matter what I cannot get a head. Victoria has a VW shop and there are many other VW shops there so that is good for me. They also have BMW. If the state tries 1 more time to take my money I am out of here. What they are doing is completly wrong and I cannot fight them.
As far as guns are concerned I don't care. I don't own any and they are only good for hunting and I don't do that either. Social heath care maybe good as my daughter and I are Diabetics. Right now we have nothing as I can't afford it and they state say I make to much money to get Gov't help. So I pay out of pocket. I am just looking for options and I don't see any where I am now. I don't need to live in Victoria but I do need to be near a VW shop for work. Thanks for your comments. And besides. Canada seems layed back. I don't see them going to war for nothing.
kobylan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria is for the newly wed or nearly dead. Stick to the mainland.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
I am asking for you help if you live or have visited the B.C area.

I've visited many times. Great Province with many positives. It IS expense to live there but so are most urban areas on the left coast. Also be aware it's not quite that easy anymore to become a citizen or even a resident there. The Canadians are very aware of the attraction of their welfare (medical) system and guard against moving in for that reason.

You should check on all the hoops before making a move up there, or settle in the 'Republic of Eugene' in Oregon as an intermediary step.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the income tax for Canadian residents, to pay for the "Free" health care ?

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
meyervw wrote:
I am asking for you help if you live or have visited the B.C area.

I've visited many times. Great Province with many positives. It IS expense to live there but so are most urban areas on the left coast. Also be aware it's not quite that easy anymore to become a citizen or even a resident there. The Canadians are very aware of the attraction of their welfare (medical) system and guard against moving in for that reason.

You should check on all the hoops before making a move up there, or settle in the 'Republic of Eugene' in Oregon as an intermediary step.

Will do and thank you.
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Victoria, BC.
Its the nicest place on Earth - but like anywhere its a matter of your own attitude.
We have a conservative government, not "USA" conservative, but still conservative and most in Victoria can't stand them.
The taxes are high, this helps pay for things that we want.
There are LOTS of VWs.
Which one of the many VW shops are you looking to work at?
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will cost $2000 just to get work visa's and resident visa's. That may put me out of the game. I saw one shop called Speedway Motors. They have Porshe too and that would be really nice. I will have to contact a place about fee's and see if its even possible.
I do believe that California and the US have the most corupt government. How much do you pay in taxes as a percent. For me I pay about 15% of my income goes to taxes.
I would not be moving until Julyish. I hope this works out.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
What is the income tax for Canadian residents, to pay for the "Free" health care ?

I think it's like eighty percent or so.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Income tax percentage is dependent on income.

Quote:
15% on the first $38,832 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $38,832 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $38,832 and $77,664), +
26% on the next $48,600 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $77,664 and $126,264), +
29% of taxable income over $126,264.

is from http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html Google is your friend, I found this by typing 'income tax rate canada' and hitting the first link.

And there will be a provincial rate on top of that.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PST is currently charged at a rate of 7% on goods and services, except liquor and some passenger vehicles.

Liquor is subject to a tax rate of 10%.

Federal Goods and Services Tax 5%

and BC is the first jurisdiction in North America to institute a Carbon Tax... about time the rest of you catch up.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
It will cost $2000 just to get work visa's and resident visa's. That may put me out of the game. I saw one shop called Speedway Motors. They have Porshe too and that would be really nice. I will have to contact a place about fee's and see if its even possible.
I do believe that California and the US have the most corupt government. How much do you pay in taxes as a percent. For me I pay about 15% of my income goes to taxes.
I would not be moving until Julyish. I hope this works out.

Dude,

I don't think you're grasping a basic concept; It's a different country

Unfortunately, we never liberated their lands and population (it's still not too late and did I mention they have no weapons?)so we're subject to THEIR immigration laws. In other words, you can't just fill out an online application to move to Khanadastan. You will be an illegal alien, living underground, unable to get official work; don't be surprised if you find yourself at the parking lot of a local lumber supply store with a bunch of other VW mechanics, desperately rushing a Passat owner while screaming, "need a coolant sensor? How about an ECU scan?"

Plus everything printed there is also printed in bad French.

You've been warned !

- Chester
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you Chester - do you yell 54-40 or fight every time you cross the border? Very Happy
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was funny. I was just suprised by the amount. The rules are tough too but we qualify. I think we will use our Fed tax return to pay the fees.
The taxes are not to bad. The state and feds keep 10% or so and up there it will be 20% total. So its not the end. This is not a for sure thing we are just looking into it as a just in case. My wifes job is on the line here as the govt cut funding to mentally handicapped programs. Since that is what she does her job may let people go. I don't mind running in a lumber yard to fix a temp sensor or thermosta on a Passat. I only get scared if a Chysler croutan rolls by.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW_Victoria wrote:
Question for you Chester - do you yell 54-40 or fight every time you cross the border? Very Happy

Freedom fighters don't 'cross' the border; they i n f i l t r a t e

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are SO fed up with the U.S.A. then my vote is="MOVE"..............somewhere.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I am saying. I need info on Canada. Don't get mad about it. The town I live in is Bankrupt, So is the state. The school systems are going down as is the quality of life. Its time to move on. If this govt could ever pull its head out iof its but and realize they are the problem, then we would be ok. But that will not happen. Its been a nice place to be but its time to go for me and my family.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: