Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible move to Canada?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, Benny-Boy...

You always know where you can go...

http://www.meteo.gc.ca/city/pages/ns-38_metric_f.html

Now isn't that better?

RonC
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Here is one very good reason to stay west, or even south!

And don't tell me it's sunny... Smile

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-147_metric_e.html

Here's an excerpt for my part of the S.F. Bay Area.

Detailed Local Forecast

* Today: Abundant sunshine. Warm. High 72F. Winds light and variable.
* Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 47F. Winds light and variable.
* Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. Near record high temperatures. High near 70F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

I'll need to use the a/c today.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No a/c needed here! We just open the windows. Cool
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Canada eh?? Reply with quote

Some of the ranting on this thread about personal liberties and "big brother" do, in fact, I believe point out a fundamental difference between the way things are viewed differently by Canadians.
For example - years ago, Toronto Hydro had an arrangement with homeowners whereby their hot water tank would be heated by electricity on o flat reate basis - usually worked out to be about 50% of the real rate fr the energy used - with the proviso that Toronto Hydro could (and would occasionally as necessary) shut down the power to the hot water tanks at times of peak demand - usually between about 7am - 8:30am and between about 5pm and 7pm. The tank was always full of hot water at the beginning of the shutdown period so nobody in our house was ever inconvenienced by the shutdown. Inasmuch as the practise allowed Toronto Hydro to use its excess capacity during off peak times and have access to it at peak times it seemed like a fine arrangement.
Was it an example of "big brother" intrusion or just plain common sense and the acceptance that through co-operation and minimal inconvenience we were all able to avoid the unnecessary expenses involved in the creation of more electrical power generation plants (and their commensurate impact on the environment)? Power generation plants work most efficiently when they run at a pretty constant rate of generation - especially nuclear power plants - expect more differential pricing and availability of electrical energy in the future as "plug in" electric vehicles become available. Big brother or common sense - guess it depends on how you view it.
For us now, the flat rate option is no longer available. Now we have an evacuated tube solar collector on the roof to supply our hot water. Right now, its -20C outside (-4F) and I have 80+ gallons of water at about 50C (122F) and rising - its bright and sunny and cold outside. The solar heated hot water tank feeds a gas fired "on demand" tankless water heater so we never run out of hot water at just the right temperature.
What does all of this have to do with Westies and Vanagons? Well this is a pretty co-operative forum. People are quite generous and helpful in terms of sharing expertise and experiences. The original thread was started in order to solicit opinions re a possible move to another country by a Westie owner and VW mechanic - as such, whatever insights and experiences we can share in a helpful manner are in keeping with the intent of the forum.
JC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Canada eh?? Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Some of the ranting on this thread about personal liberties and "big brother" do, in fact, I believe point out a fundamental difference between the way things are viewed differently by Canadians.
-JC

Good post, JC.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0211.html

1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0211.html
err.. yeah..

A bit unseasonable, eh?
record temps by 6-10 degs over previous records for the date.

weird feckin weather... eery.. the ocean is nearly flat. (though something is brewing out there, Mavericks is on call for a possible go. big swell from Japan with huge interval)

76 at Ocean Beach, SF yesterday (but the water temp isn't fooled... still 48.. brrr)

This great weather means my vanagon is rusting at a much slower rate. YAY!

Last edited by j_dirge on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Here is one very good reason to stay west, or even south!

And don't tell me it's sunny... Smile

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-147_metric_e.html

Try this one Ben!
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-23_metric_e.html
Twisted Evil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Canada eh?? Reply with quote

Hey meyervw the weather is the weather is the weather. Its what one does with the weather that matters. Living in Toronto most of my life I regarded winter as a PITA - when I lived about 300km north for a few years my eyes were opened to snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing and a host of other winter activities that only happen with a real winter. I'm back in Toronto now and winter is still abit of a PITA but its also an opportunity to take my little guys (5 and 7) to our local outdoor rink, teach them to skate, play hockey and love the season.
I like the cyclic variation of the seasons - OK I don't like Febuary very much - but all of the other months have their unique appeal, variation and opportunities. I use my Westie pretty much only April through October to keep it away from road salt but other than that there isn't much of a downside to a real winter. I just wish that we could have a real winter from about Dec 15 to Feb 15, then move right into Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada eh?? Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Hey meyervw the weather is the weather is the weather. Its what one does with the weather that matters. Living in Toronto most of my life I regarded winter as a PITA - when I lived about 300km north for a few years my eyes were opened to snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing and a host of other winter activities that only happen with a real winter. I'm back in Toronto now and winter is still abit of a PITA but its also an opportunity to take my little guys (5 and 7) to our local outdoor rink, teach them to skate, play hockey and love the season.
I like the cyclic variation of the seasons - OK I don't like Febuary very much - but all of the other months have their unique appeal, variation and opportunities. I use my Westie pretty much only April through October to keep it away from road salt but other than that there isn't much of a downside to a real winter. I just wish that we could have a real winter from about Dec 15 to Feb 15, then move right into Spring.

Good for you Smile
It's nice to see it this way. Specially with kids, they seem to enjoy.

Season are nice for the exception of winter, well, nice until Christmas but i want to die from January to March, not for me, i won't die in Canada, i'll go die on an isolated island in the south.

Now, i can't even heat the shop properly. Both heater full blast.
I have to buy a bigger heater system and it's already big.

Crazy hot and HUMID summer and super crazy cold winter. Not for me.

Yeap...
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foods Of Canada

- Macaroni and Cheese = Kraft Dinner known as "KD"
- French Fries is just Fries and if you are in Quebec get Poutine (Fries with Gravy and Cheese Curds, awesome). There us a small place in St Jean Sur Richaleau near Ben's place that puts all sorts of stuff on their like coleslaw, hamburger meat. Real good drunk food
- If you ever make it to Halifax, try the Donairs also known as Gyros.
- Beer is still beer but if you want to make it taste like US Beer you have to mix it 50/50 with water.
- Moose is good all across the country. Consider it "Wild Cow"
- Fiddle Heads (like wild asparagus that grows in forests)
- Dulse (Basically, it is dried sea weed)
- Fish is great coast to coast especially over an open camp fire
- Lobster from Atlantic Canada makes that stuff from Maine look like Cat Food but you have to love Alaskan King Crab
- Beaver Tails - A big flat pancake/donut

Anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Canada eh? Reply with quote

"- Beer is still beer but if you want to make it taste like US Beer you have to mix it 50/50 with water"
That's for light beer - for real beer you have to mix 3 parts water to one Canadian beer to make it taste like American beer.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we made a decision. We will save up and this summer go to B.C. and visit for a few day to check things out. This way we will get a good idea of jobs and housing. Maybe even meet a few of you on the way. If it goes well we will save up and move next year. If its not good then we will hopefully have a great vacation.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
So we made a decision. We will save up and this summer go to B.C. and visit for a few day to check things out. This way we will get a good idea of jobs and housing. Maybe even meet a few of you on the way. If it goes well we will save up and move next year. If its not good then we will hopefully have a great vacation.

Good decision
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Canada eh? Reply with quote

I agree - good decision. Be aware though that canada is a vast and diverse country. BC and Vancouver in particular have lots of advantages, but reasonably priced housing isn't one of them.
Go online and check out the various real estate prices/values in several provinces - if you move, you'll have to live somewhere - my advice is to look for simething - or and area - that is affordable.
JC
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in my short 31 yeards of life that living outside a major city is usualy cheaper and not a bad commute. I would not live in the middle of Victoria as it cost ALOT as does Vancouver. But on the outskirts its not bad. Also the price is a little better on an older home. Not a 50 year old home but maybe 20. The rent seems way cheaper. I now have something to look forward to this summer. I really thank all of you for your help. Even if it was not about my vanagon.
jfarsang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me a PM when you guys are coming.

I can show you around.

You may want to bring a few of these back home with you. Laughing

They'll be coming in from Japan mid-spring.

2.8 TD intercooled
4H/4L transfer case
Option lock/unlock center differential/Tcase
Option lock/unlock center viscous coupler

I can't wait. Price points are around 6-9k landed.

'72 Baja bug (project) - can't seem to leave us
'92 TD Delica camper - gone to a good home
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
I almost twisted my head off checking out the right hand Mitsubishis when I visited there last summer--Wow they are great!

As mention I visited Vancouver Island last summer, I live in Ontario--from Victoria in the south to Port Alice in the north---kept to the right side. Saw black bears and killer whale, bald eagles,lots of deer, a road kill cougar and even a humpback whale. my main base was at my sister's in Qualicum Beach.
It's an amazing place to see--hope you have a great visit.

Talk about getting jobs--my husband once headed up a very small computer game company animation department--a guy came in for a go-fer job, he was a Russian heart surgeon--it's hard to figure sometimes.

And the Canadian national anthem is the Hockey Night in Canada theme.

Colour--not colour
Zed not Zee
Is Celine Dion really deaf???
Rene Simard---hahahahahahahahahaha
Stop is Stop in french or english
Mulroney boy's hair --yucker!

You might get into the country faster if you want to move to Nunavut??
Doka70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada eh?? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
J Charlton wrote:
-JC

Good post, JC.

Does it not go back to the fact that we revolted against European monarchy and Canada never did?

We yanks never did like government all up in our "bidness", where you guys seemed not to mind from the start.

In the current US climate we'll have to see what happens though. They're fixing to meddle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: