Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will these Thing seats fit in a Beetle?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Will these Thing seats fit in a Beetle? Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know if these Thing seats in the link below will fit in a Beetle up to '71? Or are they too wide? If they won't fit beetles will they fit any other cars? thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=709939
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Will these Thing seats fit in a Beetle? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Hi does anyone know if these Thing seats in the link below will fit in a Beetle up to '71? Or are they too wide? If they won't fit beetles will they fit any other cars? thanks

They will probably NOT fit because of the seat slide rail. You need to check if your car has the wide slide rail. They are not any wider then a beetle seat. They will fit beetles if the car has the wide slide rail.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also $325 seems like a crazy amount of money for those. Just my opinion.
vwdug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Will these Thing seats fit in a Beetle? Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

They will probably NOT fit because of the seat slide rail. You need to check if your car has the wide slide rail. They are not any wider then a beetle seat. They will fit beetles if the car has the wide slide rail.

I have used seats from a 71 Beetle in one of my Things to move it around the yard and from what I remember they slid right in the Thing tracks. I do have to agree that the price seems a bit much for those. Why not find some 1968-1972 bug seats...should be easier to find and much less expensive
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to know what years have the wide slide rail? Also what would be a good going price on these seats? thanks
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'71 and '72 Beetles AND Super Beetles have the same seat tracks (rails) and the Things. The price seems Ok to me, considering that they are Thing only, and as such not easy to find.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using a Thing seat in a beetle is leaning them forward, the knob isn't on the side. Is it the lowback seat you want in a 71 72 beetle or some other year beetle.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... I learned a neat trick with my stock Thing seats. Yes the seat back release lever is not there. However the "wedge" it connected to IS!!! And it's just visible and within finger flicking range down by the seat back angle adjuster between the seat back frame and the side of the seat bottom, Once you find it, no more sliding the seat forward just to load up something bulky in the back!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971 Seats from a U.S. Beetle will fit perfectly in a 1973 or 1974 U.S. Thing. My Thing has a set of high-back seats from a 71 Bug and they fit perfect and required no modification.

If the Thing seats are 73/74 and U.S. models, they will fit on the Beetle for sure.

By the way, I put in the Bug seats because they are high-back.
Someone in a 1960s Bus got rear-ended at low speed and got a nasty spinal injury. The low-back seats in that Bus are almost the same size as the Thing lowback seats.

Since us antique car owners have to deal with digital-phone-driving-douchebags, I decided that I didn't want some idiot to paralyze me while they are sending text messages to American Idol.

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alg wrote:
Since us antique car owners have to deal with digital-phone-driving-douchebags, I decided that I didn't want some idiot to paralyze me while they are sending text messages to American Idol.

Exactly! I see these idiots texting while driving and just can't believe it. They swerve all over the road because they just HAVE to type "LOL" to someone, and couldn't care less about anyone else. The punishment for texting while driving should be the same (if not worse) as DUI.

I have always wanted to get high-back seats with a 3-point shoulder harness because I know how unsafe those low-back seats are. Too bad I blew my budget on the engine and tranny. I still need to save for both seats and gauges.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alg wrote:
1971 Seats from a U.S. Beetle will fit perfectly in a 1973 or 1974 U.S. Thing. My Thing has a set of high-back seats from a 71 Bug and they fit perfect and required no modification.

If the Thing seats are 73/74 and U.S. models, they will fit on the Beetle for sure.

Absolutely correct. In fact, I sold my stock highbacks from my '71 Super to a Thing owner thinking it would be years before I got a Thing. (Of course, no one plans for their car to go up in smoke. Embarassed )
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seats will work in a ealy up to 67 GHIA.
Anchorage, AK
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
Seats will work in a ealy up to 67 GHIA.

I question that...

While Thing and Ghia share the same pan configuration the seat rails on the Ghia's are quite different than Thing.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet is too nice! Laughing
-
No questioning involved, kme_eone is incorrect, wrong if you will! Seats from '71 and '72 Beetles AND Super's will interchange with our US spec Things, period.
-
And the year break for Ghia seats tracks in a Ghia is '69!
-
Can you imagine Ghia seats in a Thing? Rolling Eyes You'd be sitting on the floor, maybe peering over the dash like a little old lady!
And what about Thing seats in a Ghia, I think the tops of the seat backs would hit the headliner, maybe the perfect combo for the previously mentioned little old lady!
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I guess my seat material I got from TMI which also fits in the middle 60 GHIA shouldn't fit then after I put it on perfectly.
maybe it is the seat base that is different. Why would you want to put BUG seats in the THING in the first place?
I have seen way too many PIMP MY RIDE THINGs on the samba here.
Is there something wrong with German engineering and you guys knows better or you want another basterized THING?
Why is it VW took the THING seats from the GHIA then?
Anchorage, AK
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st, some people like the extra safety of the '71 - '72 hiback, for better neck protection in a rear-ender.
-
2nd, Because it's their car not yours. So help with correct information or go away. Evil or Very Mad You resurrected a way dead thread with incorrect information so you get called out.
-
3rd, The TMI catalogue (on my parts counter!) lists 43-1503 as '66-'67 Ghia front only and 43-1403 as '73-'74 Thing front only. Also TMI lists ALL hard top Ghia seat kits as 43-15XX. No 14XX at all, except in the Things. When it comes down to it the seats aren't even the same shape. Now '65-'67 upholstery will fit a Thing (the seat backs share the same square corners) however the ribbing, or pleats is very wrong for our Things.
-
4th, You are doubly wrong, Ghia seats are Ghia seats, period. Go back to "guessing".
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWS FLASH: VW never designed the THING to have Beetle seats installed. If the Highly Educated desingers at VW Germany wanted to have Beetle seats in a THING don't you think they would have put them in all of the THINGs?
I am sure the VW engineers did take into account the chance of a rear ender. The engineers put everything on the THING that should be put on it. If you want a THING to be fast, handle like a current sports cars, be more off road, high back seats, warm, stop on a dime, etc. There is a new model VW called a TOUREG and TIGUAN.
I know guys want to customoze their THINGS but it comes to a point you are trying to turn a THING into something it was never meant to be.
I have a guy in the local VW club that wants me to installed some 2700 turbo motor in the THING, and I said WHY?, and he said to make it go fast. I said the THING never was designed to go fast. I told him I purchased a Porsche Boxster when I want to go fast.
The THING is not the model of a safe VW, that is why Ralp Nader wanted the THING to be classified as a car to have VW do crash tests. VW new it wouldn't pass the ten current US crash test certification, so VW classified the 73 and 74 THING as a MPV, but in 74 sales of the THING were that great and VW decided to pull the THING from the market around the same time Ralph Nader got the US government classify the THING as a car.
This gave VW a good reason to stop importation of the THING into the US as of July 1974. 74 THINGs were marketed in some places of the US as 1975MY that were unsold after July 1974. I know this becuase my dealership here showed me the paperwork from 73 and 74 when he had the dealership at a larger location. The dealer told me who has the first 74 THING in Alaska still and I met with this guy last year who still owns the THING.
When I was in Bellevue WA last year at Carter VW, a salesperson says there are rumors of a ver low mileage THING like under 500 miles somewhere in the Seattle area owned by a gentleman in his 70's. I have not yet confirmed this rumor yet.
I never guess, Ask VW Germany of GHIA seats in a THING, the rail are different because of height.
Anchorage, AK
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
NEWS FLASH: VW never designed the THING to have Beetle seats installed. If the Highly Educated desingers at VW Germany wanted to have Beetle seats in a THING don't you think they would have put them in all of the THINGs?
I am sure the VW engineers did take into account the chance of a rear ender. The engineers put everything on the THING that should be put on it. If you want a THING to be fast, handle like a current sports cars, be more off road, high back seats, warm, stop on a dime, etc. There is a new model VW called a TOUREG and TIGUAN.
I know guys want to customoze their THINGS but it comes to a point you are trying to turn a THING into something it was never meant to be.
I have a guy in the local VW club that wants me to installed some 2700 turbo motor in the THING, and I said WHY?, and he said to make it go fast. I said the THING never was designed to go fast. I told him I purchased a Porsche Boxster when I want to go fast.
The THING is not the model of a safe VW, that is why Ralp Nader wanted the THING to be classified as a car to have VW do crash tests. VW new it wouldn't pass the ten current US crash test certification, so VW classified the 73 and 74 THING as a MPV, but in 74 sales of the THING were that great and VW decided to pull the THING from the market around the same time Ralph Nader got the US government classify the THING as a car.
This gave VW a good reason to stop importation of the THING into the US as of July 1974. 74 THINGs were marketed in some places of the US as 1975MY that were unsold after July 1974. I know this becuase my dealership here showed me the paperwork from 73 and 74 when he had the dealership at a larger location. The dealer told me who has the first 74 THING in Alaska still and I met with this guy last year who still owns the THING.
When I was in Bellevue WA last year at Carter VW, a salesperson says there are rumors of a ver low mileage THING like under 500 miles somewhere in the Seattle area owned by a gentleman in his 70's. I have not yet confirmed this rumor yet.
I never guess, Ask VW Germany of GHIA seats in a THING, the rail are different because of height.

Here's a NEWS FLASH for you... this babble has little to do with the original posters question... Keep it up and I will just be moving it to abuse/garbage file... and you are wrong about the seats. GHIA seats are for GHIA they are not the same as THING... period end of story.

Check this picture of a GHIA pan and tell me how seats that are totally different design/tracks are the same as a Thing??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SEATS WILL FITS, SEAT BASES ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY WASTE TIME PUTTING THING SEATS IN A BEELTE, BUY BEETLE SEATS AND INSTALL THEM IN A BEETLE, AND BUY THING SEATS AND INSTALL THEM IN A THING, VERY SIMPLE PROCEDURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anchorage, AK
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
THE SEATS WILL FITS, SEAT BASES ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY WASTE TIME PUTTING THING SEATS IN A BEELTE, BUY BEETLE SEATS AND INSTALL THEM IN A BEETLE, AND BUY THING SEATS AND INSTALL THEM IN A THING, VERY SIMPLE PROCEDURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPS OFF please.

Thank you.

kme_eone wrote:
SEAT BASES ARE DIFFERENT!

So then the answer is No... they don't fit.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: