Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type three single port manifolds on a type 1- 40 hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: type three single port manifolds on a type 1- 40 hp Reply with quote

Question... Will a set of type three single port manifolds work on my 1200 as far as the fit both onto the motor and inside the house,i am looking for a mild upgrade to a stock motor thanks for any help or any positive advise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean dual carbs? I'm not sure if VW ever offered dual carbs when those very early type 3 heads with the right angle intake ports were in use. Most 1500s had the angled intake ports which are not compatible with 40HP heads. (You could always change to 1300 heads, but then you'd also be able to use a set of Weber SP ICT manifolds if you did that)

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy thanks for the reply ,i was looking at the classified carburetor section and saw there was a type 3 duel carburetors set for a single port heads and as i am not to familiar with these was wondering if any one had tried to fit this type of manifold to the type 1- 1200 head . if this works on older type threes what would be the problem with using it on a 40 hp 1200 ?
Are they too short ( the Manifolds to install carbs on the top, i have read about problems with balancing pulses from the two sides)
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo169/bml6117/2357340-1.jpg
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't work. The 2 attachment studs on the 40hp are slightly closer together than those on the Type 3 single-port heads. Also, on the T3 SP heads (same as those on the 1300 and 1500 type 1 single port engines in the USA) the mounting surface on the head where you bolt on the manifold is slanted slightly outward. On the 40hp head the surface is flat/level- That's what glutamodo was referring to.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking of the angled/straight manifolds, but also was thinking of the very very early type 3s which I think did have straight-up manifolds... At least they look like it in the 10/1961 owner's manual:
-Andy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Both of you guys for the help and responses to my question's!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: