Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Electrical question Reply with quote

I searched but didn't see anything specific to my problem. In my '73 when I hit the high beam switch it will trigger the relay BUT it also honks the horn! Also if I push my steering wheel in (towards the front end) I can trip the relay for the high beams.

I have replaced the turn signal switch though the problem existed before I did that.

Is there a coupler or bushing in the steering column? Mine seems to have a little play left to right up and down.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the wires to the parts in question are reversed in some way, but not as simple as the horn button and the hi beam switch. You stated that the horn honks... just the once or does it stay on?
-
As to the rattle or play, yes there is a bushing between the steering shaft and the upper bearing. The upper bearing is just "Behind" the steering wheel.
Part # 175-419-341 A
-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-
As a side note, I have that bushing in stock, $8.50 shipped.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First replace all fuses and clean the fuse holder. There is and adjustment on the steering column, 2 bolts inder the dash. Sounds like the switch is to close to the steering wheel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
I would guess that the wires to the parts in question are reversed in some way, but not as simple as the horn button and the hi beam switch. You stated that the horn honks... just the once or does it stay on?
-
As to the rattle or play, yes there is a bushing between the steering shaft and the upper bearing. The upper bearing is just "Behind" the steering wheel.
Part # 175-419-341 A
-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-
As a side note, I have that bushing in stock, $8.50 shipped.

It just honks when the high beam switch is pulled. I also had the relay humming when I pulled the light switch out for parking lights and when the head lights were turned on they were on highbeam.

My switch is a POS, maybe thats part of it too?

I have a similar looking thing on the colum but it appears to be metal, maybe brass? Is that what the original bushings looked like?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ron might be on the right track. The contacts for the Hi Low switch are on the left side of the signal switch and are exposed to the back of the wheel hub. If the wheel is too close to the switch you could make contact with the horn contact. Your comment about pushing the wheel forward tells me the same thing.
-
So... you need to move the wheel away from the column a bit. There are two adjustments.
-
The first is the two bolts that Ron spoke off. These are the same two bolts that hold the column to the body, under the dash, just behind the switches. Loosen the two bolts and push/ wiggle the column towards the front of the car perhaps only a 1/16", then tighten the bolts.
-
If that works, the horn and highs are separate, great!
-
If not or if you need more adjustment ask and I detail the other procedure.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed your second question...
The plastic bushing goes between the brass and the shaft, or perhaps someone "Made" something to try and replace the bushing.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
First replace all fuses and clean the fuse holder. There is and adjustment on the steering column, 2 bolts inder the dash. Sounds like the switch is to close to the steering wheel

That's what it ended up being- thanks.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take the steering wheel off? I had mine off and decided to clean the conacts for the turn signal arm and wiper arm and found copper shavings there. I just used some compressed air and some corrosion X.
I am glad you found out what the cause was. Happy driving.
Anchorage, AK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: