Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Target Tokyo by James Scott. 2015 telling of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo right after Pearl Harbor. Great story and book.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Target Tokyo by James Scott. 2015 telling of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo right after Pearl Harbor. Great story and book.

I thumbed through it at Barnes & Noble and it looked interesting. I'll have to pick it up.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. About the building of the Chicago's World Fair in 1893 and a local serial killer who plied his trade during it. Non-fiction.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Read that about ten years ago great read. Loved the dichotomas story line.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Uncommon carriers. By John McPhee. Trucks , trains , barges. etc.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The road to Jonestown, Jim Jones and the people's temple. By Jeff Guinn

Some of you are old enough to remember what is still the largest murder suicide in history. The back story and life and times of that nut job before 1978 is interesting as well. Be sure to not drink the koolaid. Idea
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I've got the entire Lymond Chronicles series coming in the mail--can't wait!!!
Reading Blood Ties, sequel of The French Executionner by CC Humphreys.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Blood in the water, the Attica uprising of 1971.

Many facts just now come to light. Another true story in American history.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Public Therapy Bus's by Steven M. Johnson...a simple but chilling view of now from a 1990 point of view
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

World Without End By Ken Follett. Kingsbridge England 1329 - 1361 and the Black Plague. Long, but good. I enjoyed it a lot. Times were pretty F up back then. Glad I'm living now.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Fish---Did you know World Without End is a sequel to Pillars of the Earth? Same place, previous generation. I was almost finished reading World Without End and starting to mourn when someone at the coffee shop I was reading in stopped to talk to me about the book and told me it was a sequel----It's a good book too! Also made into a mini-series.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Yes, I did. I've been keeping an eye open for it (Pillars of the Earth) at the library. I may have to put in a request for it. I also need to find Edge of Eternity so I can finish that trilogy. I've really enjoyed Ken Follet books.
Right now I just started Tony Hillerman's The Sinister Pig.

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Finished Tony Hillerman's "The Sinister Pig" and "Fallen man". I should have read them in reverse order. LOL. Enjoyed both of these books. A fun read.

Barely finished Ron Chernow biography of Alexander Hamilton. This is the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to write the hit musical Play, "Hamilton". It's got to be good, huh? Damn if it wasn't putting me to sleep in the mornings. Got through it and while I did learn a lot (way more than I did in High School), it was not too exciting of a read, for me anyway.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Stormbird (War of the Roses #1) by Conn Iggulden. One of four books. We're back in England, 1437. This book follows what leads up to the breaking of the ruling linage of rule in England. Very well written that you get the feel of these people as real people and not just names and dates like you would a History class. I'm looking at the library book #2, Trinity.
In the mean time I'm going to start "The Martin" by Andy Weir.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Martian by Andy Weir. This is the novel of the movie of the same name with Matt Damon. Like always, the book is better than the movie.

# 303 and #156

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

"The end of Loyalty" the rise and fall of good jobs in America by Rick Wartzman

A history of labor relations in America from early 1900s to present. Before any job security or benefits three corporations began programs to value workers and give back to communities. Coca Cola, General Motors and General Electric followed a lead started by Eastman Kodak which gave people retirements and health insurance. Fascinating read as it's history. Kind of a George Bailey wonderful life vibe where people actually cared about one another. This would be as foreign as a fish riding a bicycle to young folks today.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Killers of the Flower Moon- The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.
By David Grann. True story.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Simon Winchester, Men Who United the States. The history of how they came to be written by a ex-British, now American citizen. All the known and unknown Explorers, Inventors, Eccentrics, Politicians and Mavericks, and how they physically connected the State and the Creation of One Nation from Sea to shining Sea.
He covers all the stuff you know and more you didn't know. Good read.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Field of Prey by John Stanford. Fiction about the black hole serial killer and the men and women who searched to find him.

# 303 and #156

martyhibb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Killers of the Flower Moon- The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.
By David Grann. True story.
I too am reading this book, it's a very interesting bit of American history. Not very flattering when describing the treatment of American Indians.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 26

Jump to: