Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Wrapped up John Adams by David McCullough last week. I liked this book much better than Alaxander Hamilton. My guess is David McCullough is a better writer. Anyway, he really brought to life John Adams in a way that I felt like I really knew the man like a you would a good friend.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I'm closing in on the end of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It is nothing short of epic.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333223-the-goldfinch
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

"Grinding it out". by Ray Kroc
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Col. Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guild To Living On Earth." Pretty cool book read by the author. Kind of read like a positive motivational guild to life, but still very interesting.
From the book.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Don't waste your time on this pot boiler. A self congratulatory ditty written back in 1977. Eat a burger today Very Happy
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I finished Trinity (Wars of the Roses, #2 of 4) by Conn Iggulden today. Historical fiction and very exciting reading. Two more books to go in this series, but I'm going to read some Sherlock Holmes first. Then on to book three.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
The Sage wrote:
keifernet wrote:
Green Eggs and Ham Brick wall Neutral

Keifer,

When you are finished with that one, I have one I could recommend. Do you like cats?

You mean the one with the hat? That was last month's book... Wink

As far as adult reading I was given a copy of "Small Wonder" and have skimmed through some of it.

Small Wonder should be required reading for all Air Cooled owners. I've read it a few times.

# 303 and #156

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Fast Food Genocide by Joel Fuhrman M.D. A scientific look at the connection between fast food,junk food,processed foods and chronic disease backed up by over 400 studies. A good read, educational, eye opening.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Don't waste your time on this pot boiler. A self congratulatory ditty written back in 1977. Eat a burger today Very Happy

If you are interested in a very thorough (and honest) book about Ray and Joan Kroc I strongly recommend:

Ray & Joan: The Man Who Made the McDonald's Fortune and the Woman Who Gave It All Away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Reading 2 books right now...

Stitches and Grace Eventually both by Anne Lamott...this is after I read Joe Jones a couple of weeks ago....

MikeC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

"Unsafe at any speed" by Ralph Nader.

Originally printed in 1965 I've got a hardback 3rd printing in my library. I first looked at it maybe 25 years ago after hearing second hand opinions. Runs just over 345 pages of which only 45 deal with the Corvair. What started as an investigation of that car blossomed into a full investigation of the entire industry. It was a very good book when written and touched on such ideas as air bags,crumple zones,anti lock brakes, padded dash boards and a host of other features we take for granted now. Rather than repeat what you've heard why not read it and form your own opinion??????
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Reading again, A Bus Will Take You There, by Johnny Bock

It's available on Kindle now.
Has anyone read his other book?

https://www.amazon.com/Bus-Will-Take-You-There-ebook/dp/B00U9PV8DE

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I finished Bloodlines (Wars of the Roses, #3 of 4) by Conn Iggulden. Book four is waiting for me to start as soon as my commuter car is out of the shop.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Finished the series Wars of the Roses, Ravinspru. #4 of 4 by Conn Iggulden. The Rise of the Tutors.
It was difficult at times to keep all the Edwards, Richards and Henry’s straight, but Iggulden did a good job of it by giving some of them nick names.

And I finished Orbit by John J. Nance. A short book. It was ok, not great.

# 303 and #156

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Thanks Zundfolge1432 for posting as this is a book I have wanted to read for a long time and would like to make it a required read for my senior engineering design class except I can't find a reprint or ebook. Cheapest is $50. which is out of my range. Checking the library and our english department for copies for my students now. Thanks for the added info on the investigation of the industry and safety discussion in the book. I wonder if this book was squashed by industry?

Anyone have a copy to sell PM me. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
"Unsafe at any speed" by Ralph Nader.

Originally printed in 1965 I've got a hardback 3rd printing in my library. I first looked at it maybe 25 years ago after hearing second hand opinions. Runs just over 345 pages of which only 45 deal with the Corvair. What started as an investigation of that car blossomed into a full investigation of the entire industry. It was a very good book when written and touched on such ideas as air bags,crumple zones,anti lock brakes, padded dash boards and a host of other features we take for granted now. Rather than repeat what you've heard why not read it and form your own opinion??????

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

eBay right now 38.00 free shipping or Abebooks for 32.50 as of 11:15 CST.

I’d also check smaller used book sellers.

Getting back to what you said if industry tried to quash this the answer is yes .
In fact GM hired private investigators to watch Ralph Nader and used illegal means to make him look bad, character assassination. That’s a whole different story whereby Mr. Nader took them to court and won and collected for damages. People to this day like to vilify and talk shit about Nader but fact is he did quite a bit of good in the field of consumer safety.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Got two books in rotation now the first “ Six years in the Hanoi Hilton” by Amy Shively Hawk.... the forward is by John McCain.

The second which seems to be hot right now “Fire and Fury” by Michael Wolff
Rather than listen to talking heads I’ll form my own opinion 😀
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I just finished reading "Dead Wave" by Erik Larson
the story about the last sailing of the Lusitania

Me having a bit of salt water in my veins it was interesting to hear of Captain Turners and the German "Unterseeboot" Captain Walther Schwieger sides of the story.
8/10
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Just finished one called "Brainwashed." German-American father goes back to Germany pre-war with his 10 year old son and family to work for Ferd. Porsche and the VW plant asan engineer. Kid gets put in the Hitler youth, and the father gives up his citizenship in 38. Kid gets drafted into the German army near wars end. Gets his American citizenship back several years after the war and returns to America...and gets drafted into the US Army and sent to Germany!! Good story but a fairly simplistic book. Some good VW/KDF references though.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I've always been interested in the Lusitania.

Da TOW'D wrote:
I just finished reading "Dead Wave" by Erik Larson
the story about the last sailing of the Lusitania

Me having a bit of salt water in my veins it was interesting to hear of Captain Turners and the German "Unterseeboot" Captain Walther Schwieger sides of the story.
8/10

Got an author looks good.

Joe 20 wrote:
Just finished one called "Brainwashed." German-American father goes back to Germany pre-war with his 10 year old son and family to work for Ferd. Porsche and the VW plant asan engineer. Kid gets put in the Hitler youth, and the father gives up his citizenship in 38. Kid gets drafted into the German army near wars end. Gets his American citizenship back several years after the war and returns to America...and gets drafted into the US Army and sent to Germany!! Good story but a fairly simplistic book. Some good VW/KDF references though.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 26

Jump to: