Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
crofty wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Best book I ever read. Not only did it validate a lot of my own beliefs it introduced me to my wife.

Who is John Galt?

This book is probably more relevant in this country today then ever.

Also 1984.

All the way back to page one for that,wow. You like that you might also like the fountainhead. A cliff notes version of the author Her works and peer review can be found on Wikipedia. Very interesting indeed.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

if you have read any of these books, know that the others do an equally excellent job of clarifying human behavior. if you have read any, read all:

The Art of War, attributed to Sun Tzu. a 2500 year old textbook which is the standard text in every military academy everywhere.

The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer. In which a gent known as the longshoreman philosopher explains that the early adopters of any mass movement of any kind would have been equally fervent if they joined the other side. Nazis would have become communists if they went to that rally first. just search for Eric Hoffer quotes. all 8 of his books are full of similar pearls of wisdom.

Lost Tribes & Lost Continents. Robert Wauchope expounds on the nature of people who claim the Injuns are the lost tribe of Israel, the pyramids were built by aliens and 5G is the source of COVID. bottom line: experts get respect. they want that respect. so they make up data not based in research, then decree themselves an expert researcher.

The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli. he wrote in the introduction that if you did a tiny percent of what he advised a prince to do, you would be a horrible human being but a great prince. he was vilified for writing such evil, by people who did not bother reading the foreword. Example: if you have a successful revolution, throw a party to celebrate your success. kill everybody for dessert. you have a room full of people you know are capable of overthrowing the current leader, and you are the current leader. why would you leave them alive?

you read all of these, and the news goes from WTF? to, I see the witch checked off another box.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Great Influenza by John M Barry. Referred to as Spanish Flu it actually began in an Army camp in Kansas moved East with American troops, then exploded , killing as many as 100 million people worldwide. Many parallels between then and now. It is believed but never reported that President Woodrow Wilson died from complications of this disease.
Twin Peaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I'm about halfway through Ernest Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms" a ok read, mostly trying books from authors I haven't really read from.

If anyone is interested in a good read, may I suggest Christopher Morley's "Parnassus on Wheels" series.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Just today I finished “Hell In The Heartland” by Jax Miller true story of four people murdered less than 100 miles from where I live. Meth heads did it. It’s been over 20 years and two teenage girls were never found.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Archie and Jughead commix collection. Just the right speed for these odd times.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Innumeracy

Second time I’ve read it, or is it the third?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
crofty wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Best book I ever read. Not only did it validate a lot of my own beliefs it introduced me to my wife.

Who is John Galt?

This book is probably more relevant in this country today then ever.

Also 1984.

All the way back to page one for that,wow. You like that you might also like the fountainhead. A cliff notes version of the author Her works and peer review can be found on Wikipedia. Very interesting indeed.

Cliff notes are perfect because you have.Good destination for her drivel afterwards, at the bottom of same.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Just finished "The Cobra in the Barn" by Tom Cotter. A good read for car guys.

Just started Wayne Kramer's autobiography "The Hard Stuff" on the recommendation of a long time friend who grew up listening to the MC5 and other bands of the era.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I read this book years ago and picked it up again. If you saw the movie only it sucks compared to this book, as is often the case books are always better than movies. Tough way to make a living beating the crap out of other tough guys. It’s Rubin Hurricane Carter the sixteenth round.

Obligatory VW content
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Another interesting read if you ever wonder about what’s in the food you eat. I’ll give some of it away. Doritos corn chips, where when and how they were developed, it’s engineered food, you don’t know why it tastes good but you do want more, that’s not an accident. The story on chicken and tomatoes will give you pause as well.

The Dorito Effect the surprising new truth about food and flavor
Mark Schatzker ISBN 781476724232
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

bomber by len deighton, an oldie (1970) but good read. as the jacket says -' is a novel of war. there are no victors, no vanquished. there are simply those who remain alive and those who die...'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I read this book years ago and picked it up again. If you saw the movie only it sucks compared to this book, as is often the case books are always better than movies. Tough way to make a living beating the crap out of other tough guys. It’s Rubin Hurricane Carter the sixteenth round.

Obligatory VW content

My Dad grew up in Patterson N.J., got to see Rubin Hurricane Carter fight back in the day, my Pops taught all 4 of us kids how to Box, "Hurricane Style".

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

A Quiet Cadence by Mark Treanor. A novel about a Marine rifle platoon in Vietnam and the long term impact on those caught up in that war. Powerful.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I became interested in first person accounts of Vietnam after hearing a POW talk to us for a few hours. Then I read all these books

Some are really good like “unchained Eagle” Everett Alverez who was thought to be the first POW because the govt didn’t want to tell the truth about this guy in “glory denied” Jim Thompson who was captured in March 1964. The first group of POWs had a more difficult time because Vietnam didn’t know what to do with them.

Jeremiah Denton, Jim Stockdale, McCaine and hundreds more. These men paid a heavy price. I got to Meet with Charlie Plumb, he spent 5 + years in a tiny room shitting into a bucket. I once saw a list of the books written by POWs, it’s a lot more than this tiny sampling.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

read books??? I thought thats why the samba was hear so we dont have to read books any longer Shocked Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Fahrenheit 451 is for you baby😀
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Fahrenheit 451 is for you baby😀

Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

451 is when OG cylinder heads melt, to be Kurt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/29/24-percent-of-amer...-why-.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: