Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Added to the list. Zundefolge in Ordnung
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I'm re-reading all of my Ivan Doig books (This House of Sky at present). What a lovely writer.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I've been doing a little light reading

Hitler: Ascent 1889 - 1939
By Volker Ullrich

to be followed up with his second Hitler Biography

Hitler: Downfall 1939-1945

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Well this looks like a classic and it is VW related. I’ve had it for years never bothered to read it. Snow and ice coming my way so I gotta book to read. A quick look this is a first edition from 1971, it came to me from the used book store. It lives on and has been reprinted so it’s not hard to find.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

If you’re a hiker there is a new book about those who hike the Appalachian trail.
It is written from the perspective of those who run a hostel stop in Delaware Water Gap Pa.
The hostel is church based so naturally there is a degree of spirituality in the book but no brow beating evangelism.

A lot of entertaining stories of colorful and encouraging individuals.

Tales From the Trail

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Trail-Stories-Oldest-Appalachian-ebook/dp/B09SRS567L

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

a recent book that's getting media reviews is 'nazi billionaires' by david de jong. looks at the businessmen who profited from the third reich and built on that post-war. of interest to us is that porsche (father and son) and piech are featured. it details how porsche company co-founder adolf rosenberger was 'bought out' because he was jewish, the use of slave labour and how ferry porsche employed ex ss officers including joachim peiper perpetrator of the malmedy massacre.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesdigitalcovers/2...74f545458e

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

finster wrote:
a recent book that's getting media reviews is 'nazi billionaires' by david de jong. looks at the businessmen who profited from the third reich and built on that post-war. of interest to us is that porsche (father and son) and piech are featured. it details how porsche company co-founder adolf rosenberger was 'bought out' because he was jewish, the use of slave labour and how ferry porsche employed ex ss officers including joachim peiper perpetrator of the malmedy massacre.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesdigitalcovers/2...74f545458e

There’s a friggen 20 season series that could be made about all that, but the living family and its contradictions will never be known to the common man. Just remember all history is revised. The Venn diagram would shatter collective minds. I’ll guard the wall. https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

In other book news
eBay flipped some switches when I presented an author signed copy original first edition Jack London for sale. The owner was less known, by design. He has quite a collection.
The book is now in preservation mode.

Then this homeless guy gives me a book for letting him bend my ear about his VW. Vagabond’s House. 😂
On my shelf.

Then a book I entrusted to a friend , price paid $300 about 10 years ago,
Today is around 50k and I don’t think they took very good care of it. Lolz
Maybe sold it? 😂

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Deltoid Pumpkinseed

John McPhee
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

McPhee is one of my faves.

Anyone read any Mark Helprin? His book A Soldier of the Great War is a masterpiece, at least to me!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

…and the band played on… by Randy Shiltz

Talk about a soul searching and depressing book on how we bungled HIV in the 1970-1980s
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Iceberg Slim is the story of a Pimp turned author. I was hooked after reading the first page of the introduction. Must be something to because the series keeps getting reprinted, folks are buying it. Non fiction history that’s what it is 😀

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I have just enjoyed reading 'the winter soldier' by daniel mason. it's a novel set in ww1 and nothing to do with capt america! even though the setting is a rudimentary field hospital in the carpathians it drew me in and the ending was the right outcome

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Since we turned the T.V. off over a year ago, I've had some time to read in the winter, mostly Tom Clancy stuff Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Left for Dead; My Journey Home from Everest
By Beck Weathers

I had bought it as a kindle book but just couldn’t get through it as digital media. Much better as hard cover. I usually only read manuals, journals etc. but there is something about mountaineering that I will read. Maybe in my former life I was a mountaineer? Wink

I will try some of the books mentioned above as they seem interesting.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I read that but could not get past the meme of rich people hiring Sherpas to carry them up a mountain as some sort of bucket list accomplishment.

My Mountain of Fear

The Savage Mountain

Are two of my favourite.

I did base camp at Everest in the 1980s, had no interest in trying to summit. I get bad altitude sickness even in Rockies !
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Got his one for xmas, Really looking forward to digging in.

Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Left for Dead; My Journey Home from Everest
By Beck Weathers

I had bought it as a kindle book but just couldn’t get through it as digital media. Much better as hard cover. I usually only read manuals, journals etc. but there is something about mountaineering that I will read. Maybe in my former life I was a mountaineer? Wink

I will try some of the books mentioned above as they seem interesting.

I haven't read this yet - and based on the other books written, what a nightmare that whole season was, and it's only gotten worse based on Nirmal Purja's photo taken recently ~

Having grown up in a climbing family - I was never interested in the big mountains (never saw the attraction) - just stuck with our PNW peaks and called it good at a young age. My grandfather and his pals were considered assholes back in their day (Seattle Mountaineers) as they weren't really interested in teaching others about mountaineering, they figured it out on their own on many first ascents, so the rest should too Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

My Wife Heide's Uncle's Had a Few fingers & Toes missing from frostbite,She Said it was German & American Expedition to Mt.Everest BITD.
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I'm about halfway through The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien/edited by Christopher Tolkien.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: