Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

Hi:
We are in the planning stages of a trip to Asheville, NC area late April/ early May and I need some local input. From eastern Iowa through Lexington Ky to Asheville. Not planning on going to any VW shows. Driving a relatively modern car with the roof down (2008 VW EOS). OldFahrt that I am, I still use paper maps---no GPS for me. We are not interested in Dollywood and such. Of course the Biltmore mansion is on the menu. We will be staying in Asheville for a few days, so just looking for suggestions of day-trip ideas for out-of-the-ordinary scenic things and strange stuff.
Thanks for your help:

Chuck
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

I’d skip Biltmore (sure, it’s impressive, but do you really want to spend a day walking through the gardens & from room to room?) & run the Blue Ridge Pkwy until I could leapfrog over to the Skyline Drive. Considering the roads that you’re used to, you’ll quickly be overstimulated by all of the twisties. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

We did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. Stopped at cafes and little towns along the way. We skipped the Biltmore.. Spent one night in a cheap motel near Floyd Virgina and heard some good music. Eventually ended up at Luray Caverns.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

Hooray for Luray
Harpers Ferry is nice visit, headquaters of. the ATC.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies----keep the ideas coming.
I love twisty roads and old villages. And little cafes with local fare.
The Luray Caverns are farther up the road than we are planning on going----but we will hit Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky on the way back home.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

If you like twisty roads, you may wanna make a run on the Tail of the dragon.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

Yes you will want to take Tail of the Dragon. Just watch for the motorcycles. That road kills several bikers every year.
David
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

Tail of the Dragon looks like fun-----even if I don't get nutty playing Walter Mitty with the Tiptronic. Very Happy
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Smokey/ Blue Ridge Parkway trip Reply with quote

One son called the day on the Blue Ridge Parkway the best day on a motorcycle he's ever had, while riding his 500cc Royal Enfield from CT to Ashville.
The other drove his Miata from CT to drive Tail of the Dragon, said it was a blast.
I enjoyed some of the beers made in and around Ashville when I was there, and we made a point to avoid interstates and take state highways. Some real nice country to be seen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: