Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I’d like to mount Vanagon armrests (or even eurovan armrests) on my eurovan seats.

Searched and read half a dozen eurovan seat swap threads here but apparently I’m the only person to own eurovan seats that didn’t have armrests as a standard option from the junk yard.

I have felt up my eurovan seats and can’t readily feel where the Vanagon armrests might mount. Anyone successful do this? Is there a mount under there I cannot feel? Thanks

I have seen EV seats without armrests, but they are oddballs.
I have a pair of EV seats the I can cut up if you want to get into that project.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

All of the EVs I've seen without armrests were either Canadian base models or Euro imports.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

The ones I saw were US models, just a few of them. I noticed them because the seats looked odd without armrests so I checked if they were removed or they came without them.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I got mine years ago from a pick and pull. Never thought it an issue as I was thinking I’d swap my Vanagon armrests. Go figure. I accidentally bought a junkyard rare option!

Syncrodoka. I was thinking I’d cut off the Vanagon seat armrest mounts and weld them on the eurovan seat backs. What parts do you have that you would recommend?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I've seen this question come up before, in case others were wondering you can modify the Eurovan jumpseat and make it work for the vanagon. Heres a pic of one I just finished. Whats great about this is that jumpseats really dont get used that much. I found two that were basically brand new.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you think it would be beneficial to post the process let me know, i will document and post when i do the passenger side.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I'm interested. Are the jumpseats not as tall as the regular seats? (Kind of looks that way in the pic.)

I installed regular Eurovan seats in my Bus but they sat too tall so I attempted to cut some of the foam from the bottom to make them sit shorter. I'm not super happy with how that turned out so I've been thinking of ways to fix that.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

The jumpseats are the same height as the front Eurovan seats I think, i believe that are made of the same base and back rest parts. So they so sit about 1-1.5" higher than the vanagon seat. Im 6'1" and still have head room, tho I would not want to be too much higher up.

But what an amazing difference in comfort over the vanagon seats. Im mad at myself for not doing this sooner.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I have Eurovan jumpseats as replacment front seats in my Vanagon. Basically I took all four seats from the Eurovan, and put the foam and springs from the less-used jumpseats into the Eurovan front seats and then installed them in my Vanagon.

While I was swapping the foam I also washed the Eurovan seat covers and made other repairs to the foundations.

The result, 20,000 miles later, is the most comfortable seats of any car I have ever owned. I can drive 12 hour stretches and be comfortable the whole time.

kourt
ghiaguy_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I recently installed a pair of seats out of a 2000 eurovan in my 1987 Westy, it was pretty easy. I aligned the seat rails, and in the front of both existing and the new seat there are holes. I was able to use oil pan cap nuts used on a air cooled VW engine and bought some hardened 6mm button hex head bolts for the front of the seat rail. For the rear part of the seat rail I drilled a 5/16 hole thru the existing mount hole of the eurovan rails thru the swivel base and used 8mm button hex head bolts to fasten the seat in place.

FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
rmcd wrote:
I’d like to mount Vanagon armrests (or even eurovan armrests) on my eurovan seats.

Searched and read half a dozen eurovan seat swap threads here but apparently I’m the only person to own eurovan seats that didn’t have armrests as a standard option from the junk yard.

I have felt up my eurovan seats and can’t readily feel where the Vanagon armrests might mount. Anyone successful do this? Is there a mount under there I cannot feel? Thanks

I have seen EV seats without armrests, but they are oddballs.
I have a pair of EV seats the I can cut up if you want to get into that project.

Even more odd is an ev seat I have with only one armrest and no hole in the fabric for what I thought was a missing armrest.

I recently bought a set of grey eurovan seats from a mv and the headrests are only adjustable in the vertical direction. My blue ones from a gl are adjustable in both directions. I like the horizontal adjustment since I have neck problems. Maybe I can swap the headrests but seems like a lot of work.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I’ve been screwing around with early and late eurovan seats for the front seat of my van. Sew fine was able to source new eurovan seat foam that was shorter than oem height by nearly 2”.

I’m not done yet. I’ll post pictures and details.

If this is helpful to anyone here are some pictures of the seats including the different headrests.

Late 2002 eurovan seat construction
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...nstruction

Early eurovan seat construction.

Late 2002 and early eurovan headrest seat construction
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Sew fine was able to source new eurovan seat foam that was shorter than oem height by nearly 2”.

Tell me more! I have eurovan seats in my '78 Bus, and tried to trim the foam down, because the Bus pedestals are slightly taller than a Van, so the problem is even worse of being too close to the ceiling. Plus the foam was a little broke down anyway.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

Just because sometimes I'm slow, I'm assuming people use a cutoff wheel to take the extra rail material off the seats?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

That's what I did. Hacksaw across where I could because it was quicker and easier, and the Dremel with cutoff wheels (took several) on the longitudinal cuts.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I used a 6 l inch angle grinder with a grinding wheel. Then I hit it with a sanding pad to get the sharp edge down and hit it with some spray paint.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I picked up a set of seats over the weekend from a '93 base model EV passenger van w/ 165k miles on it. No armrests, sadly, but $50 was a good price to at least try them. I have them out for a cleaning at an auto detail shop today. WEAR A MASK when grinding the rails to fit. I didn't. I'm stupid.

A couple funny things:

- I followed all the mods needed to get the seats in the van, but the EV passenger seat wouldn't latch when I slid it into place on the passenger side. I swapped it over to the driver side and it worked fine. I then placed the EV driver seat on the passenger side of the vanagon and it latched fine. I have a eurocampers swivel seat adapter on the passenger side that I wondered if it was causing the trouble.

- I'm missing more than just the plastic recline knob on one seat. Any advice on tracking do the correct components? I thought I'd try the VW dealer, but haven't yet. GoWesty only sells the plastic knob.

- The headrests also won't lock in position when adjusting the height. They just fall to their lowest level. Need to figure out a solution here as I'm not seeing any replacement parts to fix this issue online.

metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

I'd consider finding the height you want those headrests and maybe cut a piece of plastic conduit the right height and slip it in there to stop them from falling down ..

Seat covers:

I was hoping for a generic seat covers ( with option for armrests ) that would help disguise my blue seats in a tan 86 interior. I have had no luck without finding very $$ covers over 200 bucks .. anyone found anything somewhat universal that would cover the whole seat nicely ?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

Nevermind

Last edited by elizer on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
I'd consider finding the height you want those headrests and maybe cut a piece of plastic conduit the right height and slip it in there to stop them from falling down ..

Well played. Thanks!
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

Sorry still no final photos of my efforts to swap eurovan seats.

Here are some early model seat versus late model seats.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

You can also buy seat cushions that are nearly 2” lower than regular late or early model seats. Sewfine was able to source them for me as well as make seat covers.

Warning will Robinson. Eurovan seats sit much higher than oem Vanagon seats especially if you mount them to a swivel like I did. Your head nearly touches the headliner.

Pictures this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: