Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:

Warning will Robinson. Eurovan seats sit much higher than oem Vanagon seats especially if you mount them to a swivel like I did. Your head nearly touches the headliner.

Pictures this weekend.

Within this thread I've read 1/2", 1", and now "much" higher. I guess I'll find out.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

A Eurovan front seat, like a non-Westy Vanagon seat, is about 1" taller than a Westy seat. Pictured below is a brown non-Westy seat next to my stock grey Westy seat. The brown seat on a swivel will be taller than a Westy seat on a swivel, just as my Eurovan seat is taller than the Westy seat by about one inch. If I get cold-and-snowed into my garage this week I'll get more pictures showing all three together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

True statement about different heights.

there are at least three different approaches described in this thread and all will yield different bun heights. And you also have to consider that a swivel seat has a different height than a fixed seat. And you can get at least two different eurovan seat cushion thicknesses. And there are early and late model eurovan seats with different rails. You do the permutations.

One option is to rebuild a Vanagon seat base with a early or late eurovan cushion. Genius. Wish I’d thought of this.

Another option is to shave the rail of a later model eurovan seat and use the existing Vanagon mount rails. Good luck when you hit the brakes and the slider doesn’t hold.

Another option is to drill and bolt a eurovan rail through a Vanagon track. Not sure about using early versus late eurovan seats for this one.

My option was a little more involved most because I’m a jackass. In my defense I didn’t want to rely upon non-oem bolts, i wanted the adjustable lumbar and I didn’t think to swap out the seat cushions. Plus I had early model eurovan seats.

I weld a swivel base where my Vanagon rails used to be for the passenger side. I then Welded a channel to the swivel and bolted the early model eurovan seat rail to it the new channel. The channel can be seen in the picture below. The drivers side was less involved and doesn’t include the added height of the swivel so it sits at a lower height.

Here is the only picture I have of the driver side channels. Again I’ll post more later.

And I can state through painful and personal experiences that there are at least two thicknesses of eurovan seat cushions. Guess I do have some pictures.

Here they are.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Sorry still no final photos of my efforts to swap eurovan seats.

Here are some early model seat versus late model seats.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

You can also buy seat cushions that are nearly 2” lower than regular late or early model seats. Sewfine was able to source them for me as well as make seat covers.

Warning will Robinson. Eurovan seats sit much higher than oem Vanagon seats especially if you mount them to a swivel like I did. Your head nearly touches the headliner.

Pictures this weekend.

Glad to hear about the Sewfine seat cushions. I chopped mine down a little bit, but wasn't happy with the results.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

This photo actually does not best illustrate the differences due to the grey seats having been stacked for storage and being somewhat deflated-looking as a result. Trust me, as they say.

Stock '87 Vanagon Westy seat on the left end, stock '86 non-Westy Vanagon seat in the center and '93 Eurovan seat on the right. Westy seat cushion is shorter front-to-back and lower in height. The other two are very similar to each other in fit and feel but the EV seat has cloth headrest, full recline and taller seatback.

The two taller seats will have your thighs closer to the steering wheel and your head closer to the ceiling relative to the Westy seat, but both provide much better thigh support and general comfort than a Westy seat, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I listed the seat years since I am not familiar with all years and all versions of Vanagons and EVs and do not know how seats might vary year-to-year and within the same year in different models.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

This is great information. Thanks for the thorough feedback. I'll post comparison pics of mine once completed.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

Well, this thread has prompted me to do something that I've needed to do since moving five years ago, build a rolling storage cart for the seats. No more squashage. One large Harbor Freight furniture dolly (about $17) and some scrap lumber and this now fits in the same "storage footprint" that the stacked seats did before. Yay!

I try to keep one garage rule for order: if it's not up off the floor, it's on wheels so it can be moved easily.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons Reply with quote

campism wrote:

I try to keep one garage rule for order: if it's not up off the floor, it's on wheels so it can be moved easily.

Great rule.

Wheels are the most amazing thing ever.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Got my seats in and drove the van 150 miles or so over a weekend trip. Seat bottom cushions were measured equal in height when compared to my original ones before I installed them in my van (after the EV seat rails were cut to fit the Vanagon, of course). Once in the van, I could tell the Eurovan seats were slightly higher based on my view of the instrument cluster. I'm guessing the foam is more rigid in the EV seats.

Overall, for $50 plus $40 for cleaning, I'm pretty happy. The EV seats were firm and had a little more bolster support side to side. I'll keep my OEM seats for a bit to make sure. I'm wondering if I could get a upholstery shop that could replace just the base foam on my Vanagon seats and reuse the covers. May still look into that since the EV seats I have don't have arm rests.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Now that you've entered the seating arena, you could also consider the Town & Country swap that's becoming popular. Our EV seats have pretty bad upholstery and, while my bride has plans to recover them, we'd just as easily consider something more up to date. You're lucky to have found the cheap EV seats. There was just the one pair when I was looking.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Now that you've entered the seating arena, you could also consider the Town & Country swap that's becoming popular. Our EV seats have pretty bad upholstery and, while my bride has plans to recover them, we'd just as easily consider something more up to date. You're lucky to have found the cheap EV seats. There was just the one pair when I was looking.

I was very close to going this route, but had a random Uber ride in a T&C and sat in the exact seats. I didn't think highly of them. Poor lumbar support and very little shaping to keep you in the seat. After thinking more about it, I wasn't surprised. It would make sense that passenger seats in an American minivan would see a lot less design effort than a driver seat. Not to mention it was designed to fold into the floor of the vehicle. I'll rebuild the Vanagon seats before considering T&C stow and go.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Not to get off track from the EV seats, but was the Uber ride in a Mopar van from '08-'15 (square-ish body) or was it older (jellybean body)? My '05 Dodge has the middle seats that are not as comfortable as the newer middle seats. Easy to tell the seats apart; the older ones are scooped and have seams that flare out from the center (pic below from my van) while the newer ones are flatter and have straight seams. Don't have a photo of that. Both seat versions have been used but the newer ones are the most popular.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Not too sure, but Uber drivers have some restrictions on how old their cars can be. The seats looked like the one Small Car sells. Cloth version.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/vanagon-direct-replacement-parts/seat-replacements.html
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

which you can get directly off fleabay for a few hundred$ less
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leather-Bucket-Seat...2891479045

Slimvest wrote:
Not too sure, but Uber drivers have some restrictions on how old their cars can be. The seats looked like the one Small Car sells. Cloth version.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/vanagon-direct-replacement-parts/seat-replacements.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 98 - 2000+ Eurovan front seat to 80s Westfalia Reply with quote

AirCooledColorado wrote:
Hey Mike and everyone else looking to put a later model Eurovan seat into a Westfalia. I picked some seats up for real cheap for a 1999 Eurovan and thought I'd try to get them into my 82, since the original seats were down to the wires. It really wasn't too bad at all! It took me about 2.5 hours to get both in, and that never having seen the bottom of either seat before.

Tools required: Allen key set, maybe a star drive set (but I used allen key), eight 5/8" bolts and nuts (could use washers too), a drill and a metal cutting drill bit.

Here's what I did:
1) Slide out the Westy seats
2) Get the Eurovan seats out of the van (four allen bolts holding the seat and track down to the body)
3) Get your new Eurovan seats and take the bottom cushion off. There are two star drive bolts holding the front on. Remove these bolts and recline the seat slightly. Then the whole bottom cushion slides off the factory rails by pulling it to the front.
4) Disconnect the seat back by removing the four allen bolts in the back holding it to the rail.
5) Take the whole Eurovan factory rail contraption and set it on the Westy swivel seat rails. Make sure you have the rail front forward and right side up, and just overlay it on top of the Westy rails. Finagle the seat/rails so that the bottom Eurovan rails are protruding in the front and are even with the Westy tracks. Take a drill bit made for metal and using the Eurovan holes as guides drill through the Westy rail.
6) Slide a bolt through your holes, tighten, rinse and repeat for the other three holes.
7) Put the seat back on with the four allen bolts
Cool Slide the seat bottom back in and put the two star-drive bolts back in.
9) move on to the other seat.

NOTES: I believe I used 5/8 inch bolts, and I cut them to length, which was probably between 1.5 and 2 inches. Can't have them be too long or else it will interfere with the slide. I was able to get them on really snug, but could throw a few welds on the rails to increase the stability in case of accident. Seatbelts in Westys don't attach to seats, so I'm pretty comfortable with mine. Now I have two fully reclining seats which are a lot more comfortable. This method will add about 1" to the height of the seat, plus the extra cushion depth. I'm 6'4" and my hair just about touches the ceiling, but it works for me.

NOT SURE IF YOU COULD DO THIS ON A VANAGON WITHOUT SWIVEL SEATS. I had to swing the platform around to get the bolts on. It may be possible, but I don't know for sure.

PLEASE E-mail if you want photos. I have them but can't seem to upload them to the site.[/img]

Did anyone find a way to install 99 Eurovan front seats on a vanagon without swivel seats?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Should not matter. Whatever makes the seats fit into the tracks on a swivel should work to make them fit into the tracks that are mounted to a base with no swivel.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

The 1999 seat tracks do not work with the Vanagon base tracks. You'll have to install the 1999 tracks to the Vanagon (remove existing Vanagon tracks).

No big deal and the 1999 seat tracks are way smoother than Vanagon.

I did this to a set of swivels. Ground off the Vanagon tracks and bolted in the full Eurovan seat tracks. Should work the same for non swivel
FarPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

How is the stock vanagon front seat rail mounted to the floor?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Vanagon seat rails are welded to the Van, same as the Vanagon swivels.

All Eurovan seat rails are bolted on

Cheers
Gruppe B
philsrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Just installed a set of seats from a 97 ev. They are the same as the 99 ones you installed. Apparently there may be an early and late 97 version. I saw were someone said the 97's were the same as 93. Mine were same as your 99's. A nice improvement to the 1980 Vanagon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: