Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

So I purchased some very nice 93 EV seats

been reading all these notes about height

In the process of throwing out my collection of project westy seat frames I noticed the metal seat pans look exactly the same between the EV and Westy seats,

removed the 4 allen bolts and it looks like i can swap the westy cushions into the EV seat pans and the seat height is correct
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

You can swap in your westy seat cushons but the EV are way more comfortable and really is the reason to swap in the first place. The EV cushon is only about 1.5" higher and is fine. Im 6'1" dont notice big different. If you were 6'4" that might be another story.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Anyone have an actual source or part number or something to find the lower Eurovan seat cushion?

I talked to someone who used the Vanagon seat pan/cushion. I guess you still get the advantage of being able to fully recline the seat with the Eurovan seat and Vanagon bottom cushion.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

So I stripped down the Eurovan lower seat frame and compared it side by side w the vanagon, the seat metal frame is different,

I played mix and match w the cushions and lower frame, I used the van frame w the EV cushion and its just not as supported,

EV seat cushions are avail new, they fit from 91-2004 so still avail

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswagen-T4-Bus-Pick...2055635369
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the Eurovan T4 stock seat in my Westy T3 w large wheel and no power steering. the gap is clearly too small to drive.

Below is some comparisons of the lower pans, I will be sculpting some foam, not sure which pan I use yet

comparisons of a stock T4 lower seat pan and T3 swivel seat pan

SO fact- the lower component is the same, the welded on collar is different giving more support around the edges.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I'm confused, why did you through so much trouble to mix and match the seats instead of reusing the Eurovan seats? Did you try driving with them?

For me, the Eurovan seats as-is were an order of magnitude more comfortable than the Vanagon seats, even my wife falls asleep on the passenger seat while I drive, that's how good they are (she has a hard time falling asleep while on a road trip).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I'm confused, why did you through so much trouble to mix and match the seats instead of reusing the Eurovan seats?

It looks like he didn't have the clearance he needed below the larger manual steering wheel?
puchfinnland wrote:

this is the Eurovan T4 stock seat in my Westy T3 w large wheel and no power steering. the gap is clearly too small to drive.
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

So, my direction is to lightly modify the Eurovan (T4) cushion to fit the vanagon (T3) pan
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I have successfully trimmed the T4 seat cushion to fit the T3 seat pan, was not very difficult with a razor, I made a cardboard pattern to trim both sides exactly, Drivers seat re-installed,
very happy with the results.
I will not trim the passengers seat yet until we give them a proper test.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The additional height of the swivel seats are the issue. Camper vans got seats with a different base to compensate for it vs. a standard van from VW.

I am really surprised that people dig this thread up 2 years later and enjoy the information. I am glad that people can use the idea.

You wrote that in 2011 so now it’s going on 12 years later and it’s still helpful.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
adventurevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I'm SURE this horse has been beaten, but before I invest in EV seats, looking for a gut check after reading every page of the thread.

I have an '82 AC Westy with swivel seats. I found freon seats from an '03 EV. Can I install the EV seats into the Wesrty and maintain swivel? I got that there will be modifications, but can I achieve the outcome I want with this combo?
PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

adventurevan wrote:
I'm SURE this horse has been beaten, but before I invest in EV seats, looking for a gut check after reading every page of the thread.

I have an '82 AC Westy with swivel seats. I found freon seats from an '03 EV. Can I install the EV seats into the Wesrty and maintain swivel? I got that there will be modifications, but can I achieve the outcome I want with this combo?

Did you ever get this completed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the '03 EV seats, but I have '93 EV seats installed in my Syncro camper with the Vanagon factory swivel bases, and they both swivel.

To install the '93 EV seats you'll need to trim the seat runner side-lips so that they fit in the Vanagon tracks.

I seem to remember that the '03 EV seats are somewhat more difficult to install but cannot confirm it.

PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I'm not sure about the '03 EV seats, but I have '93 EV seats installed in my Syncro camper with the Vanagon factory swivel bases, and they both swivel.

To install the '93 EV seats you'll need to trim the seat runner side-lips so that they fit in the Vanagon tracks.

I seem to remember that the '03 EV seats are somewhat more difficult to install but cannot confirm it.

I found a set of the 03 local to me for 200.00. but I really wanted to make sure I wasn't stuck with a set of EV seats. I saw that someone had posted about the 99' year seats and they were successful in getting those installed. I wanna put the EV seats in my 86 NAHT Syncro. I guess if there's a will there's a way.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I have 1 eurovan seat I would sell for $25. Must pick up in Flagstaff, aZ. I can send photos if you want. I replaced my seats with the stow and go's.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

PO installed EV seats in my 84. They have integral seat belt receivers in addition to the original receivers mounted lower down on the pedestals. Is it safe to use the integral EV receivers and remove the original lower receivers?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how much you trust the PO installation and the seat sliders (in case of a crash, your seatbelts receivers will be as good as the sliders where the seat sits).

Personally, I trust the original receivers (that’s what I use), I know they’re solid even though I did my own EV installation.

boxer74 wrote:
PO installed EV seats in my 84. They have integral seat belt receivers in addition to the original receivers mounted lower down on the pedestals. Is it safe to use the integral EV receivers and remove the original lower receivers?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

I wonder if the part that gets cut off the Eurovan seat tracks to make them fit, somehow contributes to their safety/effectiveness in a crash that is lost when trimming that part off.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Eurovan seats fit in Vanagons? Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:

I wouldn't rely on the EV seats belt receiver, the seat rail welds aren't something that I would trust my passenger's life with. I removed the EV seat belt receiver so that it isn't even an option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: