Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Redwoods - California State Park
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Redwoods - California State Park Reply with quote

We are planning a summer trip to the Redwoods and most likely will stay at the Jedediah Smith park.

Any advise or suggestions to those of you who have traveled through this area of California? Which park did you like, was your site good, etc.?

- I checked the Roadhaus site and there are some reviews of the area, but they are a few years old. Also kinda funny, but in looking at all the California campsite reviews the single most common personal picture posted was of the reviewer's VW siting at said campsite.

Many thanks
Mark
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did Jedadiah Smith this past summer. It was great. Be sure to make reservations well in advance....

Also recommend you swing over to Eureka and hit Lost Coast Brewery for a pint of their Downtown Brown..

Look for the thread on camping on the lost coast as there are lots of good tips to be found on stealth camping..

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: actually in the Redwoods as we speak Reply with quote

Good Evening:

I stayed at Jedediah State Park two nights ago. I like the campsites that are along the Smith river... I believe 55 was ours... Nice walks thru the woods. For a pay per view it is a clean nice campground.

I would venture as far south as either Avenue of the Giants... be sure to stop and walk to the big fallen tree on a pull off not too far north of Burlington Campground... Lisa and I stayed there a few times over the years... I adore the GIANTS!

You could also take a super scenic drive thru other groves and head thru the rainbow ridge to the coast.... Drive to South Fork then towards towards Petrolia. The drive along the coast towards Capetown is sweet as are the climbs and drops heading towards Ferndale... which is a sweet town to do with the family...

You might also think of headin down to mile 90.91 off of Highway One a bit south of Garberville and visit the Lost Coast for fantastic rustic camping complete with Elks running around and seals... Definately one of my favorites of all time... do a search for Lost Coast.

As far as Breweries... personally I am not a huge fan of Loast Coast Brewery. Respect to the previous poster! I prefer stopping in Arcata and going to Humboldt brews... their double IPA is good as is their Hemp Ale. Great food co-ops in both Eureka and Arcata to stock up.

If you need service stop in at German Motor for Eli... in Arcata. Great crew!

oh, another favorite pay per view is in Orick at Elk Meadows (?) Camping right on the beach!!! There is also a cool drive just south of Klamath. Just after you cross the bridge over the Klamath river make your first turn towards WEST and follow windy road towards ocean. The road eventually starts heading up into the mountains along the coast. If you are interested in history you can stop at an old building that was used for spotting submarines... further down the road south you eventually go back into the redwoods... Around Big Tree there is a drive going east that is marked scenic road that goes up a one lane windy road thru amazing redwoods...

right now I am camping at Patrick Point... not a favorite... not bad... just ok.

Hey hopes some of this helps... peace.... ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: actually in the Redwoods as we speak Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Good Evening:

I stayed at Jedediah State Park two nights ago. I like the campsites that are along the Smith river... I believe 55 was ours... Nice walks thru the woods. For a pay per view it is a clean nice campground.

I would venture as far south as either Avenue of the Giants... be sure to stop and walk to the big fallen tree on a pull off not too far north of Burlington Campground... Lisa and I stayed there a few times over the years... I adore the GIANTS!

You could also take a super scenic drive thru other groves and head thru the rainbow ridge to the coast.... Drive to South Fork then towards towards Petrolia. The drive along the coast towards Capetown is sweet as are the climbs and drops heading towards Ferndale... which is a sweet town to do with the family...

You might also think of headin down to mile 90.91 off of Highway One a bit south of Garberville and visit the Lost Coast for fantastic rustic camping complete with Elks running around and seals... Definately one of my favorites of all time... do a search for Lost Coast.

As far as Breweries... personally I am not a huge fan of Loast Coast Brewery. Respect to the previous poster! I prefer stopping in Arcata and going to Humboldt brews... their double IPA is good as is their Hemp Ale. Great food co-ops in both Eureka and Arcata to stock up.

If you need service stop in at German Motor for Eli... in Arcata. Great crew!

oh, another favorite pay per view is in Orick at Elk Meadows (?) Ca

mping right on the beach!!! There is also a cool drive just south of Klamath. Just after you cross the bridge over the Klamath river make your first turn towards WEST and follow windy road towards ocean. The road eventually starts heading up into the mountains along the coast. If you are interested in history you can stop at an old building that was used for spotting submarines... further down the road south you eventually go back into the redwoods... Around Big Tree there is a drive going east that is marked scenic road that goes up a one lane windy road thru amazing redwoods...

right now I am camping at Patrick Point... not a favorite... not bad... just ok.

Hey hopes some of this helps... peace.... ASWAH

Asshole! Come backtoPDX
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ferndale. Aswah nailed this area good. I cant vouch for the brewery thing but the elk Giants rivers views German Motors should the need arise....
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgurnee wrote:
I live in Ferndale. Aswah nailed this area good. I cant vouch for the brewery thing but the elk Giants rivers views German Motors should the need arise....

We have a note out on his ass up here in P-Town!

DANCING BEAR, VW DRIVIN~~~H~IP~!!~~~!)PPEEEWEEEEEE!
\\

ASWAH, Come back! Embarassed Embarassed Wink
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: actually in the Redwoods as we speak Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Good Evening:
ASWAH

"Humbolt Brews" in Arcata is just a bar now. Humbolt "Brewery" used to be there, but moved operations to Firestone Walker Brewing Company in Paso Robles in 2003. Some guys remodeled the place, and apparently pour two of the Humbolt Brewery beers(Red Nectar and Hemp Ale), as well as many North Coast beers, like Steelhead double IPA. I'm wondering if that's what you had, because, AFAIK, Humbolt Brewery NEVER made a double IPA.

I'd personally vote for Lost Coast Brewery over Humbolt Brews. It has turned into somewhat of a touristy place, but the food and beer are always good, and it's a real brewbub!

Back to the topic, and to the original poster, as far as camping, I too believe ASWAH nailed it. My additional advice would be go in the fall and pick blackberries! Last time we went to Blues by the Bay, we picked and ate berries for dessert many nights!
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Fern Canyon at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.

If you pass through Mendocino County, stop by North Coast Brewery. Old Rasputin from the tap is amazing, so is Brother Thelonius. They also have beer garden and they are dog friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can camp right on the beach in Prairie Creek SP at Gold Bluffs Beach. I've never done it but I have a friend with an old bay window westy that goes there every year for Thanksgiving. It gives you easy access to Fern Canyon and some great loop hikes up into the redwoods. I've only camped in Redwoods NP once because of the NO DOGS ALLOWED Sad .
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking you'll go south of Humbolt, I would really try to get over to Boonville / Philo area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=phylo,+ca&oe=utf...6&z=12

On the map, you can see two nice parks; Navarro River Redwoods State Park and Henry Woods State Park. These are nice to visit but the better/quieter place to camp is not shown. It is called Indian Creek Campgrounds and it is just before Philo as you head west on 128.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: prairie creek Reply with quote

i spent a month at the Prairie Creek SP great place! you can stay at the main campground and mountain bike or hike to the beach. at night a heard of the roosevelt elk will come to the pasture beside the main campground. there are many trails to hike and ride. the giant trees are awesome and i can remember the scene from star wars when were in the forest.
the silky one wilderness area is not to far away and that is a great area. the russian river valley area is great camping. probably still some 60's hippies still selling tie die shirts and paraphenalia.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: oh Jeffrey... Reply with quote

I love you. We have to hang tight around Arcata and see if we can push the tranny over the edge in the next few days... we are heading over to Prairie Creek tonight... bonfires and celebrate the end of a regime!!!

ASWAH

p.s. still jobless and homeless and loving life!!!

1989 Westy
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Bluffs beach does give you amazing access to the Fern Canyon, if its open (hasn't rained in a while, maybe it is)

Dont pass over the Six Rivers brewery just north of Arcata in McKinleyville and my favorite one in Humboldt the Eel River brewery down in Fortuna. ERB has some of the best beers around, many of them organic to boot. Wed night you can get their all you can eat fish fry, an awesome excuse to make the trek down that way.

If your adventurous, head out to the coast on the way south and hit up Fort Bragg. Was there this past weekend and the weather was effin incredible. Not to mention the North Coast Brewing Company (not technically Humboldt, so my above statements are still true) is one of the best in the world, period.

We stayed at the Van Damme SP and had nearly the entire place to ourselves. If you stop, drive way to the back and pick up site #30. hidden gem to be sure.

I have pics on my cell, ill try and get them posted later.

its later:

My personal favorite of the beers they have on tap currently is this gem:
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I left Estacada for Chinese new year shows(93?) only to find Oakland a cesspool of junkies. About face to the 6 rivers/ J Smith campground areas. 5 weeks after lots of camping/ hiking we finally went home. People in the area thought we skipped town___with 2 months rent paid.
Please more photos so I can show my kids the areas the "parents" traveled to long before they were born.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I were robbed while we hiked a trail in the Red Wood forest. They got in from the sliding door sliding window. They took cash, credit cards and birth cert.'s. We were married in Vegas.

Just a heads up.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Breweries Reply with quote

North Coast... I love the Rasputian... Van Damme. That used to be my backyard when I lived in Mendocino... I know that area well...

Last night we camped at Gold Bluffs Campground. It has been a few years since we were last here. Had the park to ourselves. 60 degree weather. Walked on the beach for hours! The park is a lot cleaner than when I used to come here in the past. Elk roaming the campground, sounds of the pounding surf... have bonfire... why don't people camp yearround?

Definately an a+ campsite. We stayed in site 14... great spot. Cool rangers... What a way to celebrate regime change!!!

ASWAH

pictures to come!

p.s. anywhere you pull over along the coast in CA/OR or WA has potential for some meth head to steal your stuff... It happened to us in OR. Sucks. Be careful!

1989 Westy
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashwa, the last time I was at patricks point, we watched whales all day in the far back upper lot...

just a thought about summer trips out that way, I 've done one or two
every year for the last 10. In the summer when the kids are not in
school these places are PACKED, if you dont have reservations you will
drive and drive ti find a place...not so fun. Plan the trip just before or after
schools are back in and you will have soooo much more fun. todd
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Gold Bluff a few minutes ago... Reply with quote

Lisa on the BEACH...

Lucy and Beer

Beach Grass

Elk in the Campground

Got to have KAYA NOW!

for any of you with Autonet... wireless available on BEACH!!!

1989 Westy
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Bluff a few minutes ago...NOW COME BACK TO PDX!~ Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Lisa on the BEACH...

Lucy and Beer

Beach Grass

Elk in the Campground

Got to have KAYA NOW!

for any of you with Autonet... wireless available on BEACH!!!

Nice Pics. Must be nice to have no school, No job, No problem Very Happy

Can't wait to see you back up here, but, knowing our luck, you will bring the Rain or Snow back with you as ever since you left it has been sunny here? What is up with that? See you next Sunday.

Jeffrey
Redshoes56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: NoCal Westy Camping Reply with quote

We stayed at Prairie Creek Redwood State park last fall. Very nice park and some outstanding day hiking through the redwoods to the ocean. I think the roudtrip is around 11 miles and very worth the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: