Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Peddle sticking on acceleration
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Gas Peddle sticking on acceleration Reply with quote

My gas pedal sticks on acceleration, I just changed the throttle spring, it is like the pedal just doesn't return to the normal position. When it happens it has been at the most inappropriate times. I thought of looking at the throttle linkage under the front floor and seeing what is sticking. Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions?? Shocked
Camping in Style Rv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to my auto when I first bought it. Although, it didn't stick on, just wasn't very smooth accelerating or returning. I fixed by pulling back the carpet near the pedal and spraying Wurth HHS2000 grease in the bellcrank assembly. I'm sure WD40 or similar will work too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Question!

Wow! Linkage that hasen't been beaten to Death is Samba Land!

Let us start from the front working back.

The assembly that your foot pushes down to make Vanagon go is really easy to understand. There is a pivot point that makes the cable move forward, it is under the plastic cover ( clam shell and tire have to be open to inspect and remove).
Beware: old screws are not your friends and with the design of the cover rust ( for those in Eastern States) the screws can take out more metal than once thought. Nasty and a PITA.

Cable runs above gas tank and weaves to the Right( Your under the Vanagon) with supports at the 2nd sub structure ( cross L beam) next to the split of the Emergency Brake Cables.

Inspect all with good eyes and if all looks good, remember the entire cable should be sheathed in a hard plastic tubing, if not troubles will abound. then attack engine bay.

My .02's after inspecting and routing about is to see if the throttle body is clean.
Think springs.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Peddle sticking on acceleration Reply with quote

slyder wrote:
My gas pedal sticks on acceleration, I just changed the throttle spring, it is like the pedal just doesn't return to the normal position. When it happens it has been at the most inappropriate times. I thought of looking at the throttle linkage under the front floor and seeing what is sticking. Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions?? Shocked

While you're under there looking around, install a new throttle cable.

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rico Sabladam is right on the money with his diagnosis.

The cables usually suffer from petrolis neglectis, and a replacement of the cable, with some dry slide applied will cure the problem.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and lube everything. I have a cable luber from my motorcycle and will try using it to force lube down the length of the cable. I replaced the throttle spring already but will lube the throttle up as well.
Camping in Style Rv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and found it to be the injector pump (diesel)
As soon as I disconnected it from injector pump the cable slide freely which, in my opinion, ruled out a cable issue. Diesel or gas, it is quick way to find out.

Gone but not forgotten
82 Yellow Diesel Westy
91 Blue GTi 2L
86 Black GTi
74 Blue Super Beetle

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro' HST
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look today front and back, everything up front was good. at the throttle was good. Figured out it was the linkage on the transmission from the throttle body that was binding. Lubed it up and all is good as new now. So a quick tip if your peddle is sticking check the linkage at the transmission from the cable up front to the throttle body.
Camping in Style Rv
mikls63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one have any photos of that area under the the floor board. Thats where mine is sticking and clicking. its really kinda scary when you are driving in traffic! Shocked
13' Passat S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had very good success when I pull the entire cable, rig up a very long pipe cleaner and get everything out of the white plastic tube that the cable runs in.
If the cable looks beat up at all I replace it, if good to go I wipe it down and reinstall.
The biggest mistake you can make is to leave any WD or similar in the white tube.
Here in the East it will freeze and lock the throttle open when below zero.
It will also attract any dirt in the area.
Syncro throttle cables are routed above the transmission and sometimes get wedged between the trans and gas tank.
If you have pulled an engine/trans recently, make sure that it is in its appropriate spot with some wiggle room.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner throttle cable will get gummed up inside the outer cover with grease or oil.

This is exactly what the Dri Slide is for.
It's a dry graphite cable lube, slippery as all get out---- and been around for eon's just for this very application-- --keeping inner cables sliding free in their outer cover's, without being a dirt jamming magnet.
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the accelerator cable, clean, inspect, grease, reinstall. A 30 minute job - tops.

Should be done every couple of years as part of anyone's maintenance routine.
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Peddle sticking on acceleration Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:
slyder wrote:

While you're under there looking around, install a new throttle cable.

Rich

X2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: