Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any ideas on cold weather starting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: any ideas on cold weather starting Reply with quote

I didn't get to changing the 20-50 out of my 85 and now it is butt cold outside and the thing won't turn over. My Beetle is taking up my garage space on jack-stands and I have to do any work in the drive-way. I brought the battery in, warmed it up, and charged it. It still wouldn't crank enough to fire. My question is should I try to get as much of the thick oil out as I can and add 10-30? Will any oil even come out o the case? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend much time out in the biting cold!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an Old Old solution;

Do this---

Get an old short clay flower pot and 4 pieces of cardboard.

Fill the flower pot up with charcoal, and light it till the fire goes out, and they are glowing red.

Slide it under the sump, and take the cardboard and fit it a foot or so away from the pot , but enough to keep it warm under the sump.

Leave it there for an hour or so--and the engine will fire right up.

My Great grand dad did this, my grand dad did it,so did my dad and one time when it dropped to -40 below wind chill here one night--and I had straight 40 weight oil in my 67 428 Bonneville, I did the same--it works well.

Just keep an eye on it--and make sure you have no gas leaks anywhere.

if you have access to a 110 volt outlet--you can but a oil dipstck heater , and plug that in.
It'll take all day to get the oil wam enough to allow the engine to spin---but it'll eventually work.

Drop a quart of oil outa the oil drain and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
I'll thin the 20-50 out enough that you can continue running the 20-50 for the rest of the winter---plus you'll be cleaning out the interior of your sludged up engine.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retswerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how cold it is there in Michigan but we've been in Chicago the last two days in my '84 where the temps have been ridiculous. My van's a northwesterner with 20-50 in it (unwise, I know). I checked the oil before starting it though and it was actually still surprisingly fluid. Cranking was slow, but successful after about 20 seconds. I think the cold cracked my front heat exchanger control box though, I had coolant dripping from it overnight and for the first few minutes after starting the van.

All that to say, based on my own limited experience, if your van's not cranking I would suspect the battery over the oil... but a quick oil change for lighter weight couldn't hurt either. Make sure and check that your coolant is still liquid too...

Former:
'73 Super Beetle
'71 Beetle
'66 Campmobile
'84 Vanagon GL (different one)
'84 Adventurewagen
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold here in Chicago?

It's a heat wave---

What was it the night before last-- -16 with a -35 below wind chill factor?

No problem.

If you had some Marvel in your oil the engine would spin like a Merry Go round.

20-50 can get like molasis in January around here---

Michigan gets way colder than the Windy--

Might be a good idea to load test the battery in that Michigan Van to verify it's up to snuff.
retswerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were out in Elgin that night, weather.com had it listed as -20 prior to windchill. For a Northwesterner like myself that was about as close to hell as I've ever come. Thank goodness we had a friend's house to sleep in overnight.

Former:
'73 Super Beetle
'71 Beetle
'66 Campmobile
'84 Vanagon GL (different one)
'84 Adventurewagen
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. I think I'll try the mystery oil first. Yes, indeed. It is colder than a witches titty here in MI. The battery tests fine with a load. It takes many a cranks for me to drain it. It just can't turn that molasses in the case.
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy a block heater ,that bolts to the case,you can also buy from terry kay the water heater
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just pull the plug the oil will drain out eventually. The oil will drain fine by itself while you are back in the house keeping warm. Refill with 5W30 or 0W30. You don't have to get all the old oil out, just most of it.
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15-40 in my A/C Van cranked over fine albeit a bit slower than usual the other night about 0-3 degrees out.
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not in a big hurry--throw the dipstick heater in it and plug it in all day---

Lesser of many evil's and pretty simple---

I for sure wouldn't want to be playing a polar bear groaping under the Van in this Tundra cold to be draining & changing the oil--

Keep using the heated dipstick in the Van till it warms up a little.

Geogaphicly undesireable Elgin IL.
Yep--you were out west a little in the flats--

Some good bars out in the Elgin area.
Buy a watch or street sweeper while you were out there? Laughing
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5F here today.... running 20w50 and got a slow crank but luckliey she started. She does crank hard wfen its warm too so mayby ill add some ground work to the sunday list

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<5F here today.... running 20w50 and got a slow crank but luckliey she started.>>

I think that if your dropped the oil just down to 15-50 it would make a big difference in the engines rotational starting speed.

Addding Marvel with an oil change sure is real simple and fast to eliminate this cold starting problem.
Besides the benifits of helping keep the engine healthy.

<<its warm too so mayby ill add some ground work to the sunday list>>

Planting a garden--cutting the grass would be a good idea as long as it's that warm.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful, I had 20/50 weight oil and blew my oil cooler seal - then it drains real fast. Like 5 quarts in 30 seconds. The rubber gets brittle from age, then cold, the extra pressure from the heavy oil and blammo. I say watch the ground under the engine and the oil light for SUPER cold starts. For me it was -11 degrees at 4AM on Christmas morning. Good luck.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic has a pour point of -39. So does Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Regular Castrol GTX 20W-50 has a pour point of -27C. VW recommends that 15W-50 can be used down to about -15C (0F) in the wbx. Supposedly, your oil should have a pour point of at least 10-15 deg. below outdoor temp. I'm sure theres more to it than that but it gives you an idea of the different properties of the oils. In the past I've run 15W-50, 10W-40 and 5W-50 synthetic oils in my 1.9 wbx during winter and never had a problem with coldstarts.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really had no idea that gwobal warming would create such a problem for the starting of a vehicle. Shocked
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very cheap and no worries about gas leaks.

Buy a heat gun and put it under the van..point it up.They get very hot/are very cheap/plug into any standard house outlet. Buy at any box outlet tool store like home depot.
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500W magnetic heater.
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much cheaper than a free old clay flowerpot, and a half pound of charcoal can you get?

Ok--you want cheap?

A $3.00 smudge pot, some kerosine and a match.
Much more inexpensive that the Home Depot heat gun.

The heat gun will fire up gas in a hearbeat.
Look into the heating element end of it once--it's red, it's hot, it'll ignite anything flamable close by.

It will light off contact cement--you think it won't light gas?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch just stick a 110V heat lamp up against the bottom of case, in a few minutes oil will be warmed. Dont put over center split of case but on one side,and check every 10min or so, those bulbs give off a lot o heat. Leave a bottle of the oil u have in motor sitting outside in van and try to pour some out next morning and u will see what u are trying to pump thru your engine.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: any ideas on cold weather starting Reply with quote

ottojd wrote:
Any suggestions?

Even when it is bitchin' cold, a van with 20w50 will start when the sun finally climbs in the sky. The problem is that long soak in the deep freeze overnight.

Bring the battery in at night. It's nice to have a battery with a carrying strap especially for one dropped into a Vanagon battery well, but if yours doesn't have one, roll your own. If you forget to bring it in, soaking the battery in a tub of hot water will bring it up to temp about as fast as possible.

Once, when we had an extended bitter cold snap, I wedged a cardboard box tightly between the engine sump and the ground. The box was about the size of a bottled beer case, might have even been one. Inside the box I placed a stove made from a coffee can which had some vent holes punched near its bottom and a porcelain socket mounted to its bottom holding a large floodlamp. An R-40 IR heat lamp would have been better, but I didn't have one and the hook-up worked great anyway.

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: