Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sean's 71 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't posted any new pics in a while. I've been color sanding it a little here and there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still working on it, but it's cleaning up very nice. Ordered new windows seals for the top of the door (I cut the too short when I installed them when I was 14) and new seals and hinges for the quarter windows (they were never installed correctly and can't be left open). I'm still working on getting some of the missing trim pieces also.

Also have the title on the way!

This is the most recent pic. I know it looks just like the other.

But that's after a good cleaning.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice story and car.

I live about 35 miles from Huntington W.V. across the river.

Didn't know anywhere in W.V. was as flat as it looks where you live.... Laughing

Does W.V. have Antique tags? Is that still subject to the stupid inspections as a newer car in W.V.?

Again, great car and history...........keep the updates coming.
Very Happy

BTW------> We also own a 1972 Yellow Super Beetle.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WV does have antique tags, which as far as I know you don't have to get the car inspected with. However you are limited in how far, and when you can drive with them.

They also just added a "classic" tag. Not sure what the difference is. I don't mind having my cars inspected though, and smile when they pass. My $500 Bug passed on it's 1st try (after I spent $1500 making sure it would).
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean:

That looks great! A definite improvement.
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
...............My $500 Bug passed on it's 1st try (after I spent $1500 making sure it would).

ha ha ha.........

We have no inspections (knock on wood) in the hills of Appalachian southern Ohio...........so I get to run any old junk I want.
Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazee wrote:

We have no inspections (knock on wood) in the hills of Appalachian southern Ohio...........so I get to run any old junk I want.
Very Happy

Do you kill many? Wink

You're lucky you don't have to go through the test they have in Germany and Japan.

UK is quite stringent but nowhere as difficult as those other two.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West virginia is pretty basic. Lights, horn, brakes, wipers, and no rust bigger than a golf ball. I think exhaust is checked, and tire tread.
07 Boxster
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazee wrote:
ha ha ha.........

Its this kind of stuff that changed the law in VA. You can still get antique plates but it comes under far more scrutiny than in the past. You actually have to provide a notarized statement of use and show proof you have other vehicles for daily use.

They changed the law because of abuse. Too many people registering their vehicles as Antique and driving all over the place.

Its a little more of a hassle but I have them as I use the vehicle within the prescribed rules.
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that New Hampshire tag say???..........LIVE FREE OR DIE! Wink

BUT DARN................that Karman Ghia sure is a pretty car with a great history....and a very cool California tag.....I hope it rolls down the road forever!
Very Happy
Useless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Its this kind of stuff that changed the law in VA. You can still get antique plates but it comes under far more scrutiny than in the past. You actually have to provide a notarized statement of use and show proof you have other vehicles for daily use.

They changed the law because of abuse. Too many people registering their vehicles as Antique and driving all over the place.

Its a little more of a hassle but I have them as I use the vehicle within the prescribed rules.

Yeah, all it takes is a few morons to ruin it for everyone.

I've got the antique plates on my old Plymouth Convertible but I put regular plates on the Ghia, it means it has to pass a state inspection yearly, but I plan to drive it to work fairly often and you aren't allowed with the antiques....

BTW, nice Ghia swhitcomb. You should bring it to Bug Out in May, I'm going to work hard on my car to try and hopefully make it.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on it. Maybe even showing it if I can get it all to the shape I want by then.
07 Boxster
MRRAGPICKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
You should bring it to Bug Out in May, I'm going to work hard on my car to try and hopefully make it.

Where? When? I may be done enuff to show up.
Useless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRRAGPICKER wrote:

Where? When? I may be done enuff to show up.

May 24th and Sept 6th in Manassas

http://www.bugouts.com/

I didn't make the last two with my waterpumpers but should make it with the Ghia this year.

swhitcomb wrote:
I plan on it. Maybe even showing it if I can get it all to the shape I want by then.

I'll going to register mine in the show, even though it'll still likely look sub par to me. Besides, the walk from regular parking to the show is brutal and it's only costs like another $10 to enter the show.
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
crazee wrote:

Quote:
ha ha ha.........

YEAH........well what I refer to as "old junk" is a 64 Econoline panel, 2 other VW's, a 75 Chevy truck, A couple of old Spitfires, an antique Harley.........
Wink

And I have a daily driver regged the right way , but my older cars are regged Historical...........LEGAL EAGLE BABY.

After taxes are paid on a vehicle for 35+ years and maintaining it in good usable shape...........a person should get a break.

Some states like Virginia are far too anal about everything......others are more reasonable.

Hopefully the day does not come where we can't enjoy our vintage machines on public roads as we have as much right to run "old junk" as people have to run "new REAL junk".

KEEP THEM GOOD OLD CARS ROLLING & fight to protect our rights to use em.
Very Happy
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazee wrote:
Some states like Virginia are far too anal about everything......others are more reasonable.

My experience is just the opposite. VA is far from anal and probably too trusting. For example, you do not need to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle. Just sign stating that you have it. You are not required to show proof of insurance when stopped by a police officer. Most states do.

VA was very lenient with the antique classification and it was abused. All they have done is tighten up the rules - a good thing in my opinion. Seeing a rolling wreck on the road with antique plates is a joke but then one person's junk is another person's antique.

As far as The Bugout, I was thinking of going as well. Perhaps we can all meet some place and cruise in together. My car isn't a show car either but, as stated its far more convenient to park in the show area.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear others talking about showing thier not 100 percent ready Ghias. This could be a great show car with some work that i just don't have the money for at the moment. But i'd love to show it anyway.
07 Boxster
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK to enable you to buy your Road Tax sticker (free if you have a pre '72 car) you need proof of insurance and proof of an MOT (safety inspection certificate).

All these details are held on a government database against your car registration number plate.

This means a cop can get a bead on your number plate with with his electronic gun and instantly check if you have all the required, up to date documents.

If you don't he will be on your tail, pull you over and give you a ticket. He doesn't need to ask who you are...he already knows.

No hiding place in the U.K. Big brother is watching Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:

Quote:
Here in the UK to enable you to buy your Road Tax sticker (free if you have a pre '72 car) you need proof of insurance and proof of an MOT (safety inspection certificate).

The insurance requirement is a good thing. I carry extra insurance for underinsured and uninsured motorists as well as a $2M umbrella policy because of the situation here in VA. If someone without insurance slams into me and causes me bodily harm I want to be able to obtain the resources required for recovery.

As for the road tax, every government has their schemes for taxes. We have it here. Roads need to be paid for.

As far as the database, we are a long way away from that here. The goverment cannot even keep a record of firearm purchases. Overall a good thing IMO.

Its the differnce between a parliamentary system of government and a republic. Thank goodness for the Bill of Rights!
Useless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
....As far as the database, we are a long way away from that here.....

We actually already have one here in most places now. They don't have a camera that scans the plate, but any police officer who gets behind you and wants to run your plate has all of that information on file now.

I got pulled over and got a ticket not too long ago for not having paid my personal property tax on my car on time. They've recently done away with the yearly county tax decal because all that information is as far away as the laptop on the dash of their crown vic.

I'm not sure if the police have access to insurance information yet, but I know the DMV does. If you drop the insurance on a car in VA and don't turn the plates in right away, the DMV will notify you that you have 30 days to return the plates of they'll suspend your drivers license. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in VA, the insurance companies have to notify the DMV when you drop coverage on a registered vehicle.

NOVA Airhead wrote:
As far as The Bugout, I was thinking of going as well. Perhaps we can all meet some place and cruise in together. My car isn't a show car either but, as stated its far more convenient to park in the show area.

Sounds like a great idea, I'd love for a few of us to meet up and cruise in together.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as you say before this database you'd find some didn't pay for the road tax, insurance or safety check. That meant a whole lot of unroadworthy cars, without insurance and tax killing and maiming the law abiding.

Now they station police stategically with electronic readers and check every car that passes. Attendant motorcycle cops pull over those who flaunt the law and potentially lives are saved. Hard to argue with that. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: