Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Real Facebook ad.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

I stumbled on this ad by sheer luck. Thought it was a joke but contacted the seller. And I bought it. He hadn’t gotten much action and reduced the price. I gave him a down payment and we agreed to Meet in 3 days to complete the sale. Then he corrected the ad and got 3000 hits in 3 days. Think I’ll name her Kigali
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

So its not a Garmin GPS receiver Laughing
Let us know how it goes in three days. I hope he does show up.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

This smells like a scam to me. How could you possibly mangle Karmann Ghia into that? Even bad auto-correct wouldn't get you there. Check out the seller's profile - how new is the profile? How many friends? Are there any oddities about the profile ?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

ghiamanjc wrote:
This smells like a scam to me. How could you possibly mangle Karmann Ghia into that? Even bad auto-correct wouldn't get you there. Check out the seller's profile - how new is the profile? How many friends? Are there any oddities about the profile ?

I hope for the OP's sake it's not a scam, but I can share your olfactory evaluation. Here is my take on the psychology of why a scam ad would be placed this way.

By listing it so obscurely, way less people will stumble upon it (it only takes one eager buyer). Each one that does thinks, 'holy shitake mushrooms, look what I found!' The gross misspelling just ads to the buyer's sense of good fortune. And they jump on it, perhaps too quickly without following up, in fear that someone else will grab it. And with way less people finding it there is way less chance of questionable commentary.

Hope I'm wrong, though.
nine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

As I said in the original post, “I bought it”. So it wasn’t a scam. I didn’t want to ask the seller about the gross misspelling out of fear he’d take offense and refuse to sell. My best guess is that he spoke the words rather than type then. That was what Siri thought he said. I think the wife was pushing him to sell. The misspelling might have been subconscious “pushback”. He really didn’t want to sell but age and bad hips made getting in/out pretty tough.
Plus, if it was a scam he’d have spelled it right and surely put an ad on The Samba!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

I like your explanation better.
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

Wow - I didn't realize you bought it already. Congrats. Great looking car at a good price. Put $1000 into it and sell it for $22k next month !!
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

Did you get it home?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

irvanm wrote:
Did you get it home?

“Down payment”…hope it works out…

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

What ever happened to this Ghia? Crickets.... Not a good sign
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
What ever happened to this Ghia? Crickets.... Not a good sign

OP posted yesterday

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=786013

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

All's well that ends well. Glad it has..... as for those Mercury wheel covers... quite unusual on a Ghia.

Nicholas
Nogindrops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

Wow, cars like that don't come up at a decent price very often. It's a classic, and from the picture, it looks in pretty good nick too. I've got a bit of a soft spot for vintage cars, and seeing one like this takes me back.

You know, I deal with cars on Facebook, selling second-hand ones, and a car like this would usually be snapped up in no time. The market for vintage beauties is hot, but the real challenge is getting a good price for the older high-ticket ones. I've had some success there by boosting my listings. A little investment in buying Facebook video views can really get the ball rolling, bringing in that organic traffic that's gold for visibility. It's all about playing the game right.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

ghiamanjc wrote:

Along those lines, the current scam, that’s been going on for a while now, is to steal pics of someone else’s car, then say you’re parting it out. PM for pricing. My own 74 Ghia has been used several times in this scam.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
ghiamanjc wrote:

Along those lines, the current scam, that’s been going on for a while now, is to steal pics of someone else’s car, then say you’re parting it out. PM for pricing. My own 74 Ghia has been used several times in this scam.

I'm not sure if you were around Sean, when this used to happen almost daily on eBay. Wiggy's and GhiaGirl's were the most used pictures from The Samba Gallery and we used to bid them up after reporting the scams. Used to take up to 24 hours before they were taken down.
This one from 2007 of Wiggy's '58 vert and my winning bid... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Facebook ad. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
swhitcomb wrote:
ghiamanjc wrote:

I'm not sure if you were around Sean, when this used to happen almost daily on eBay. Wiggy's and GhiaGirl's were the most used pictures from The Samba Gallery and we used to bid them up after reporting the scams. Used to take up to 24 hours before they were taken down.
This one from 2007 of Wiggy's '58 vert and my winning bid... Laughing

I was a samba member then. Somehow I missed out on this though. Pretty funny way to deal with it.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: