Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberine high top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon guys Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Hey Witless Joe and TDI Vanagon - we read this forum to gain and share information - no one needs or wants to see two or more people, obviously with expertise in a topic, flaming each other over choice of words or minor innacuracies.

I agree, if you guys want to have a pissing contest, share e-mail addresses and take it off-forum.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: RE: c'mon guys Reply with quote

Well put, J Charlton, Lester B. would be proud!

I hope we can see lots more such informative posts on composites from TDI Vanagon.

RonC
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any project, until one has built something equal or better, it's a good idea not to criticize or ridicule another's work or knowledge. I have yet to see anything as imaginative and well-done as Dave's van, ever, on this site. I've seen the van in person, driven it - a true one of a kind van. And I wouldn't blame him for not coming back - sometimes this forum goes way beyond sharing and information-gathering, into a giant ego-fest for some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think I'm going to end up getting the fiberine. I'd accepted its appearance as something that would work for the project, but after hearing so many issues with the construction quality of it, for instance the warping, I decided it was a no go. And to make matters worse, I emailed fiberine with some questions/concerns about the quality of their tops and whether or not there was any satisfaction guarantee that would ensure I would get a refund if I wasnt happy with a top I ordered, and I havent even received a reply yet. And that was sent 4 days ago, my other inquiries recieved replies within 24 hrs. I just don't feel comfortable spending a grand on their product. No replies for the SCA producer either. Guess that leaves finding a used AW top or building my own, which thanks to dave we've all learned a ton of usefull information about it and the top he ended up building is far superior to any you could purchase, AW tops included.

Kerry
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon guys Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
J Charlton wrote:
Hey Witless Joe and TDI Vanagon - we read this forum to gain and share information - no one needs or wants to see two or more people, obviously with expertise in a topic, flaming each other over choice of words or minor innacuracies.

I agree, if you guys want to have a pissing contest, share e-mail addresses and take it off-forum.

I agree too. With my first post, I had hoped to develop the conversation into discussion of various pros & cons of composite construction techniques. Instead, I got defensiveness, open hostility and personal insult.

So I was in a mood to meet his flame with a flame of my own.

I apologize for letting him get my goat and wasting bandwidth in an otherwise useful thread.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, I never spotted the most common Brit hightop so here are a couple from me for your great and weird collection

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The unkind over here reckon they used an old boat mould for this ours? i like the luggage rack at the rear - handy.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey9 wrote:
Karl, I never spotted the most common Brit hightop so here are a couple from me for your great and weird collection

The unkind over here reckon they used an old boat mould for this ours? i like the luggage rack at the rear - handy.

Ah yes, I've seen those in photos but somehow never got one in my collection. Sort of looks like the Reimo top on my 16" Syncro (the white/blue one in the photo collection) but shaved down a bit. That luggage area in the rear can be put to good use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon guys Reply with quote

Witless Joe wrote:
hiram6 wrote:
J Charlton wrote:

I agree too. With my first post, I had hoped to develop the conversation into discussion of various pros & cons of composite construction techniques. Instead, I got defensiveness, open hostility and personal insult.

So I was in a mood to meet his flame with a flame of my own.

I apologize for letting him get my goat and wasting bandwidth in an otherwise useful thread.

I am planning on making a new top for my van, but more like the swiss race taxi top. thanks for sharing your insight re: vacuum bagging and different reinforcing materials. There is some stunning stuff in the boat building industry, custom vehicles are pretty crude by comparison.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: form Reply with quote

I once taught with a guy who developed a form the shape of which was determined by inflating various small segments individually. It was developed to be able to create prototype sailboat hulls that culd be tested in real conditions. I've lost track of him and his process - but it sure would be nice to be able to use something like that to create "one of's" high tops.
Personally my ideal high top would be one that was in 3 sections - front and back fixed and about 18" (toward the middle) above roof height, with a middle section that would go straight up. This would allow permanent mounting of cabinets and "stuff" fore and aft and lots of air and space when camped with the top up.
jc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: form Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
I once taught with a guy who developed a form the shape of which was determined by inflating various small segments individually. It was developed to be able to create prototype sailboat hulls that culd be tested in real conditions. I've lost track of him and his process - but it sure would be nice to be able to use something like that to create "one of's" high tops.
Personally my ideal high top would be one that was in 3 sections - front and back fixed and about 18" (toward the middle) above roof height, with a middle section that would go straight up. This would allow permanent mounting of cabinets and "stuff" fore and aft and lots of air and space when camped with the top up.
jc

Aren't a lot of the carbon fiber bicycles made using an inflatable bladder method, I thought that I read that somewhere a few years ago.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: c'mon guys Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
I am planning on making a new top for my van, but more like the swiss race taxi top. thanks for sharing your insight re: vacuum bagging and different reinforcing materials. There is some stunning stuff in the boat building industry, custom vehicles are pretty crude by comparison.

Next time you're in North Vancouver, give Rob Mulder a shout and check out whatever projects he has in his shop at that point. Carbon-composite art. It will give you food for thought.

http://robertssailboards.com/
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm assuming that most everyone viewing this thread has seen that ad for the AW top in sebastapol. What do you all think of it for that price. I've been in contact with the seller, recieved a few pictures, its a bit dirty, from storage supposedly, and the seller claims it'll clean up nice with some elbowgrease. Came off an 83 aircooled van, blown engine. Window seals are fine, sunroof seal will need to be replaced sometime. No cracks or damage. I'm a bit leery of spending that much money on fiberglass that old, but I guess with the proper coating and assuming that coating has been maintained and is intact, it should be about as good as the day it was made, correct? And I do have quite a yearning for an AW top and this one is only a few hundred miles to pick up, which is pretty convenient. So what's the consensus? As usual, your opinions are much appreciated!

Kerry
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They quoted me a price for the product, I didnt ask about freight because part of the year I live a couple hours from their plant. Heres the costs that they quoted me:

- 24" VW Vanagon Roof in a grey or white gelcoat........................ $975.00
- (Opitional) Inside Fiberglass Liner in a grey or white gelcoat......$400.00
- Trim Kit Black or White (ouside molding kit).................................$40.00
- Crating and packaging..............................................................$110.00
$1525.00

Quote:
Vanagon Adventurewagen High Roof kit Price: 1900
This is a complete hightop kit from a vanagon adventurewagen. comes with all trim, the bed and hardware.

Compared to the Fiberine top (which seems like it is not as good as the AW top), this one would be comparable in price when you consider that all the trim and bed are included as well. If you were to go the Fiberine route, what would you have done for the bed and trim? and how much would that have set you back? Personally, I would ask the seller of the AW top to match the price of the brand new Fiberine top (send him your quote from Fiberine) and see where that gets you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boltze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany we have only two manufactures selling hightops until now.

polyroof:

http://www.polyroof.de/ -> "andere Modelle" -> T3

and Reimo:

http://www.reimo.com/de/G-ausbaushop/GD-daecher/GDI-vw_t3_t2_daecher/

Here the links for the old original brochures from 1979-1992:

http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/deutschland/reisemobile/Polyroof/

http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/deutschland/reisemobile/Sonstige/1985_00_Reimo_Daecher/

Christoph

1985 Caravelle GL syncro
1990 California
1981 Joker
Germany
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltze wrote:
In Germany we have only two manufactures selling hightops until now.

polyroof:

and Reimo:

http://www.reimo.com/de/G-ausbaushop/GD-daecher/GDI-vw_t3_t2_daecher/

Here the links for the old original brochures from 1979-1992:

http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/deutschland/reisemobile/Polyroof/

http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/deutschland/reisemobile/Sonstige/1985_00_Reimo_Daecher/

No more SCA?
Boltze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Karl,

I've forgotten the SCA 400:

http://sca-daecher.de/Site/main/track=38_46_588

brochures:

http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/deutschland/reisemobile/SCA/

Christoph

1985 Caravelle GL syncro
1990 California
1981 Joker
Germany
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
ragulka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Does anyone know, where I could get some of those upper side windows for the hightop?
talfletcher27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like this is a Vanagon thread from over a year ago, but I'm looking everywhere for a high top for my 1968 VW to replace the original poptop. Does anyone have a good direction to point me in? Thanks
3konas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=I'm totally gonzo for one of the higher versions. If anyone reading this would be game to place an order for multiple units, I'd bet we could convince them to crate the roofs and ship directly to a US port. Jaeger, I'm pretty sure, doesn't actually stock the roofs but is merely a sales point and the roofs are shipped directly from SCA. AND, with the current great exchange rate (1 Euro = $1.30) the price is good too. Better quality, perfect fit[/quote]

Did anything come of this? I would be interested. This is by far my favorite hi-top.

I have question for those of you that have a hi-top? How bad do you get moved around in moderate windy conditions or when a cabover semi passes you on a two lane road? Much worse than a standard passenger van?

Thanks, Enjoy your long weekend!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those windows you were asking about, look exactly like my apt windows, so maybe you want to check out one of those large companies who redo apt and condo bldg. I don't know how well they do in a flexible environment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: