Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making Rock n Roll Rear Seat. Need Rear Seat Dimensions.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeffertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Making Rock n Roll Rear Seat. Need Rear Seat Dimensions. Reply with quote

My '82 Vanagon is in need of a back seat. I'm kind of on a budget and can't afford to buy a new rear seat for it, as much as I'd like to. So if anyone could, I need the dimensions of A, B, and C. It needs to be a full width seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I want to get some of those "Rock and Roll Hinges" that Just Kampers has to offer but want to buy from somewhere in the US, if possible. I also found a nice write up on building one of these set ups, but it's in a Split Bus. Basically the same but dimensions would be off, I'm guessing.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=98553
aeffertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I did see those, but wasn't sure if it was the same "Rock&Roll" hinges. Thanks!
The Salt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that Just Kampers web site is awesome!
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey aef

is that particle board? please at least use 3/4" cdx with 90 degree 3/4" angle steel on the foam side long horiz edges. that dust board will explode in a collision and is very susceptable to humidity.
more unwanted advice
I have done many boat seats from scratch and almost none have a wooden freespan backrest like that.
some 1" x 2" rectangular steel tubing would be the ass for the backrest. you can get away with the bottom and box the way they are. get a 1/4 round router for the backside edges so they don't cut your wrap behind fabric.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeffertz,

Just my 2 bits here, but it seems to me that when you factor in your time, the cost of these brackets (64 UK pounds!) and other material, you'd be better off searching the pick and pull for a used seat.

Maybe someone here can sell you the brackets for a lot less than UK prices, VAT, shipping, etc.

Merely a few other options for you to consider.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cheeseisgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the used seat
aeffertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
aeffertz,

Just my 2 bits here, but it seems to me that when you factor in your time, the cost of these brackets (64 UK pounds!) and other material, you'd be better off searching the pick and pull for a used seat.

Maybe someone here can sell you the brackets for a lot less than UK prices, VAT, shipping, etc.

Merely a few other options for you to consider.

-CJ

Thanks for the reply.
The brackets are pretty pricey, they're over $100 from the BusDepot, but I wouldn't mind paying that if the finished product looks as nice as the picture above. The local 'yards around here don't have any Vanagon's, so I can't get one there. I really want a rear seat the does fold down into a bed. I've asked on here before if anyone has used different back seats from vans or know what kind of vans have folding back seats but didn't get any response.
If I could find a folding rear seat that looks and fits right and is cheaper than all the supplies, I would definitely go that route. But I don't really even know where to start or which vans to look at.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place a wanted ad in the classifieds on this site and on craigslist. You might find what you need. Rear seats usually go for less than $100.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Fri May 28, 2010 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some middle and back seats available on Samba Classifieds. I was just looking at prices as I have some items for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: