Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kegsemptygarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Question- What’s involved replacing rear motor mounts. I see they each have 2 bolts but I also know there’s threaded studs on top. What must I remove to replace them? I figured they are bad since engine/exhaust pipes jump when shifting gears. THX!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Engine has to come out.
You’ll want to replace the nose mount at the same time as well.
While the engine is out poke around and see if any of seals for the transaxle or engine need attention.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

if the engine is jumping around it is more likely the the front mount is broken or soft. I agree with the previous post, replace all 3. Wolfsberg West make good ones in standard and a heavy duty rubber. Look under the equivalent year beetle to find them.

Last edited by Ian Godfrey on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kegsemptygarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Thank you for the information! Much appreciated! Guess I’m pulling the engine. I should any way to check it. Ghia getting a complete makeover on everything so I’m sure I’ll have more questions
Thanks again!!
Kegsemptygarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Pulled engine!
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Good work....
Behind the throw out bearing in the bell housing is a seal around the input shaft. I'd replace this while the engine is out. These is a fair bit of oil in there so that is one of the places it can come from. it's a bit tricky to get out but there is a hooked seal remover that helps. this is what it looks like https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-.../p/TO06376
Also look at the engine case below the flywheel and see if the main seal might be leaking as well.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6212.htm

These are the bomb for transaxle mounts.

You can wipe that residue with your finger and smell whether it’s engine oil or gear oil.
I agree that while the engine is out is the time to clean/ inspect and repair everything external.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

I drive a 1" sheet metal screw into the input seal and use a wrecking bar to pull it out. Done it for years after I gave up trying to get my seal puller in there to pull it out.

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Kegsemptygarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear motor mounts 69 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Hey thanks
I’ll be definitely checking all this
Need to decide also if I want to upgrade engine since it’s out
Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: