Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the name of these type connectors?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
birddog1 wrote:
I've used different but similar tool.
I can tell you that while this type crimper is the best to get a good professional crimp they are also very specific about using the right jaw and connector depending on wire size. Also the direction you place the connector into the jaw. It only goes one way (split up/down)

There's a really good thread here somewhere showing all this but I can't find it right now.

edit: actually this is (was) the thread but it's old and all the pics are gone now.

I know, By the posts within this thread, it sounded like there were great pictures to go along with it. But as you mentioned, they are missing.

Here is are a couple images of the jaws I'm using
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All that can be said with the pics is that's the right jaw for non-insulated connectors. The important thing is using the correct specific slot for the wire size and you're using the right connector for that wire size. Don't overlook,even if you have the right wire/connector combo, it won't work unless the connector is placed in the correct direction into the jaw. There's only one direction in jaw the connector will correctly crimp. Wish I had a pic, but I don't right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

I didn't get the connectors from here, but this is what mine look like: http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/female-open-barrel-non-insulated-german-terminal-connector.html
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Which of the jaw openings are you using?

What gauge of wire are you using?

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

well, maybe I have a connector that is too small. maybe.
I am using the smallest crimping part of the jaw.

Here are some more pictures.
This wire that I am dealing with is coming off of the headlight button on the dash. The wire has no size markings on it. It does say 600v or less. But as for an AWG size, I can't find it. The wire was spray painted silver. I had to scrape off the painting in hopes of finding the wire size. The wire connector on one end says 14-16. the other end of this wire is going to the fuse block.

On the back of the headlight button, there is a black wire that you will see in the pictures. That will need to be re-crimped as well. it doesn't fit very well on the male connector, it falls off very easily. Either people don't like messing with wiring, or they just don't feel the need. There are a lot of connectors that are barely holding the wires, or they are crimped poorly. I find that I touch one wire, and another falls out of it's existing connector. Which is leading me to where I am. Having to fix a wire I had no plan to address. Didn't want to start tugging on wires.....yet.

can anyone tell me also why there are no wires on the other male connectors on the back of the headlight button? I think I should start a personal thread about this, I am deviating away from the OP.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

A wire marked "600v or less" does not sound like it is stock.

AWG 14-16 is smaller than say the AWG 10-12 like the terminal you posted the link to. So would help to know the wire size the terminals you do have are for.

Have you tried for now to slightly crimp with pliers the two gripping sides of the terminal slipping off?? That should keep them from falling off as long as the female terminal is not cracking on either/both sides.

You can find out what size the stock wires are in the wiring diagrams. Then way down at the end of the list of wiring diagrams there is a "Wiring size conversion chart - German mm to USA AWG" that will allow you to convert what mm wiring size is listed in the wiring diagram to the AWG size.

Definitely start a thread about your VW, all us ACVW crazies will be happy to help!
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

The wire that is marked "600V or less" sounds like the wire you would get at a hardware store for house wiring, and is not intended to be used in vehicles. Hopefully you don't have wire with a single, solid conductor, but even if you have the stranded version, the strands tend to be larger, and fewer in number, than what is normally used in a car. That wire tends to be much less flexible and also more likely to break.

The wires will tend to pull out easily if the connectors are crimped wrong, or if someone used the cheap crimp tools you find in a lot of stores that basically just squash the connector flat.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
The wire that is marked "600V or less" sounds like the wire you would get at a hardware store for house wiring, and is not intended to be used in vehicles. Hopefully you don't have wire with a single, solid conductor, but even if you have the stranded version, the strands tend to be larger, and fewer in number, than what is normally used in a car. That wire tends to be much less flexible and also more likely to break.

The wires will tend to pull out easily if the connectors are crimped wrong, or if someone used the cheap crimp tools you find in a lot of stores that basically just squash the connector flat.

Yes, it's definitely stranded wire.
I see a few wires with the insulated connectors that have been terminated with the crimpers you are referring to
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the name of these type connectors? Reply with quote

More recent info on crimpers in the post-1967 beetle forum:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: