Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold starting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Cold starting Reply with quote

I hope someone can help? 1987 2.1 vanagon with rebuilt dizzy,new coil,battery,plugs and wires, new switch in ignition, air flow meter good, starter is new and cranks engine fast, grounds cleaned (all of them), new fuel pump and filter,good gas flow, 5-30 synth. oil, engine heater, and gas line anti freeze. Starts great above 15 degrees and only turns over when below 15 degrees. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated ! Dogpilot, 10 cent or terry kay like your threads hope one of your common sense answers is really needed.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolant temp sensor.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New temp.sensor 2, bought this van 2 years ago and replaced the engine with a vw(german) rebuilt and new fuel injectors, ecu was replaced with a working unit and above 15 degrees the van runs and starts great, runs cool, gets 19-20 mpg in town.Engine has about 12000 miles now. Also I installed a new oxygen sensor, not the spliced in kind, but plug in bosch as are the wires, dizzy,cap and rotor.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well next thing to do is check the IAT (in the AFM) and Temp2 resistances at various temps, especially when under 15F, but when warm, too. You can actually probe those circuits while the thing is running and get their working resistances, no need to isolate or remove them.

If they check out, try not using your engine heater and see how it starts cold. 15F isn't nearly cold enough to need one (I know, it probably gets colder where you are; where are you?). I wouldn't even consider prewarming a gasoline engine above 0F, it's just not that cold, and you have the right oil in there.

Have you tried basic diagnostics exactly when it fails to start? Spark, then spray? Obviously you have an airpump so you can skip compression. Check at the actual plug gap, and at the actual injector tip, that way you see the sum effects of those systems working.

If all checks out, try turning the CO screw CW two full turns.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for a DigiTool.
No guessing or assuming.

Just the numbers you need to diagnose and replace or adjust what is needed.

I can't tell you how many "new" parts have failed my DigiTool's diagnostics.

Build one, buy one or rent one.
Van Cafe has them.
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today was 5 degrees and I got tired of it. Had a spare temp sensor and took your advice tencent and for the third time replaced it. Due to the temp the o ring was a PAIN but its in. Had to jump it due to vans battery being down and it started like it was 50 degrees, its rpm was 1800 and as i filled it with antifreeze idle dropped to 1100 my wife came out and told me where the temp gauge was, we waited until the needle was out of the white and readjusted the idle to 950 rpm, finished filling the antifreeze and drove it until the beastie warmed up. Let it set for about 3 hrs. and it stated great. Thanks tencent I can't believe I had 3 bad sensors thru this. will know more tomorrow morning but I believe it's fixed. Thanks again tencent and insyncro I think I may find a digitool if I can find a way to power from the van's battery for a permanent placement and have a on/off switch. By the way it's South Dakota (sodak)!!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with electrics especially, there's plenty bad ones in the box. Trust, but verify.

Wolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the connections at the + battery post(what the heck, as long as you are in there pull the battery and look at the ground strap connection to the body). I had a corroded crimp connector that fed everything else except the big hot to the starter motor.. Looked good but when I cut it off ans split it open it was green between the wire and the connector. A .29 cent connector took care of the problem.
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I asked people for help on a starting problem and got some help, however the grounding issue needed more help. I had cleaned and checked for corrosion and all were good to go. The reason I am now writting is star washers at hardware stores and flaps, under each ground helped even more. More of a bite then removing paint or rust, hope this helps someone else and cost less then a buck! The van starts without heater help 10 degrees below and on the first crank!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: