Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 74 Body Off Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

I thought I would share of my project. I have been posting in Readers Rides forum. I figure maybe I would post the link here. I have been learning alot along the way and maybe the project pics will help others.

Hope you enjoy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271590
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have rust where the foot rest plastic panels crew to? I am doing a 74 restoration on two THINGs.
Anchorage, AK
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

fortunately, the metal was clean behind the foot rests. There was rust on opposite area (trunk bulkhead) down low where 4 main large bolts hold body to pan. Beside patching that flat stock area, I drilled 3/4 holes behind foot rests and then sprayed rust encapsulator in the cavities.

I used Master series and a "engine washing" gun sprayer that hooks to air hose and has a 1/4" pickup hose. Anywhere I suspected a cavity that did not get opened or seam area of 2 pieces of metal, I sprayed inside. I have learned with the Things, they rust from inside out. So I did what ever I could to seal the inside and stop any potential rust. Think where most Thing builders would be today if these vehicles had treated metal inside areas such as rockers etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziggy,
I'm not mad that you chose to highlight your resto in the Reader's Rides forum instead of the Thing forum, I'm disappointed.
Wink

Keep up the good work! I love reading about all the details and checking out the photos of in-depth projects like this. Very Happy
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks and I am with you on watching builds. Keeps the motivation.

Should have thought twice. The community is definite tight right here.

More to come hopefully sooner.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: spraying with degreaser Reply with quote

I tried to use an engine degreaser a while ago to spray rust bullit-however I could not get it to suction the paint correctly-did you do anything to prime the gun? My degreaser seems like the same one you have. Thanks
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: spraying with degreaser Reply with quote

nothing special other than cranked the pressure and shortened the hose. I did find out after a thorough cleaning of my first gun, it only worked one additional time. seals trashed I guess so had to buy a second one.

high pressure, short hose should do the trick.

it was a Home Depot $12 special with 1/4" pick up tube

good luck.
lorencherylp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Thanks for sharing Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing! Keep up the good work!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

OK, finally after 7-8 months , she is home. Paint came out well. Shop hit me harder than expected. That's the breaks when dealing with friends of friends.

Overall pleased. I do need to hang fenders, hood and decklid then return her to the shop for final buff out. Also learned that some folks are not as thorough as I assumed. The shop missed spraying the inside of the ear muffs as well as failed to spray the engine bay. They will do this when I return for buff.

Will be nice to get her home for good so I can focus on reconstruction.

hope you enjoy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

quick flash back when I dropped her off at the shop

Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Nice cabinets in that shop !! I'm kidding. Nice Thing. What wheels are you planning to bolt on that beast ?
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
OK, finally after 7-8 months , she is home. Paint came out well. Shop hit me harder than expected. That's the breaks when dealing with friends of friends.

Man, that is rough. It's hard when your car is out of your hands. I have to drop mine off for paint next month and I hope I get it in a few weeks Wink
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for compliment.

Wheels will be widened 15" beetles. I will be meeting with powdercoat shop this weekend. Another referral, hopefully price will be right and quick turn around.

15x6. second photo shows stock Thing wheel next to widened 15" beetle.

She will see larger offroad tires and stock hubcaps. May change in the future. I like the wide 5 smoothie look.

Good luck on paint project. Post us some pics.

CBDZ_CBDZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find the widened wheels? I am looking to do something like that for my Manx Buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

I cut out the centers and shipped them to Boltons Classic wheels. some pics buried in my gallery of how I cut the centers out.

Here's info on Boltons

Bolton’s Classic Wheels
16516 S. Western Ave.
Gardena, CA 90247

310 765 6621

http://www.boltonsclassicwheels.com/

OG wide to 15x6 wide 5. Great service, excellent turnaround. Very fair price I thought. $65 per wheel widened with my center cores.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that, right down the street.
I had a rim shop do that for me on some Volvo rims. The guy mis understood me and made the tire stem on the inside toward the axle. I guess that is a rodders thought, you use the longer offset valve stems that are used on dualies for a cleaner look. You can specify your offset when you do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

quick update, photos to follow.

she is back home for good from the body shop. I had to take her back so they could spray the engine bay and inside the ear muffs. They missed those areas. They also finished buffing out the paint.

Just glad to get her home where I can clean the dust and grime from sitting in the corner of the shop. Time to start the reconstruction phase.

Maybe we will get on the road before the end of summer. I have more things I want to do.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

Been putting her together. pushed her out of the garage today to get some pics.

fenders installed, new windshield, seal, frame installed, ear muffs installed with new seals and aluminum rivets, nice color matched engine bay, started putting dash trim and handle back on, still need to modify steering due to lift. windshield wiper arms cleaned and fresh paint with new blades. cleaned wiper motor and replaced old grease inside.

ran into problems with old pedal assembly. could not get apart prior to rebuild. clutch pedal and brake pedal hang up. brake spring too weak. could not get pin out, rusted solid and maybe metal issue. replaced with new so will be swapping pedals over. found out new replacement had a wider spreader on clutch pedal. heated up metal and slightly bent her in. much better clearance now with body member by foot wall.

all but one door handles installed with cleaned up and freshly lubed latch/catches. keeping deck lid off for now until get to engine.

enjoy pics.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

German Technology duel

Love at first site?

caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. I love putting all the clean stuff back together. I actually broke the clutch hook on my dunebuggy over the winter and swapped my Thing pedals to keep it cruising. I rebuilt my dunebuggy pedals and put them in the Thing and never put them back Rolling Eyes I use a roller pedal on bothe cars. Just like it with my size 13 foot. Easier to get it over to the brake pedal in my opinion.

Great build, keep it up. Is that your S class?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: