Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keeping it Patina
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Keeping it Patina Reply with quote

Just shopping around for busses and have come across many that need minor repairs, corners, rockers, etc.. the busses are in original paint and look very good. Whats the best way to perform the required repairs but keeping the finish looking original when the areas are repaired? Especially if the original finish is scuffed up and what not.

Photos would be great.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just simple scuffing and not through the paint or if the paint is just oxidized you can use a buffer and some polishing compound. This brings back the original paint very nicely. If there is some rust stains you can use CLR to clear them up and either repaint the air or just buff out what you can.

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this link. Really shows how to keep things patina after some major repairs!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8426

Is there anyone else who has done the same?

mike
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a bus at our shop that is being done in a similar way, however i have to say that the welding repairs on the dry cleaning bus are pretty hacked. the bus in our shop is being done by my assistant and his fabrication and welding are a lot cleaner.

i'll try to post some photos in the next few days.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55veedub wrote:
I came across this link. Really shows how to keep things patina after some major repairs!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8426

Is there anyone else who has done the same?

mike

I think they also used some closely matched rattle can paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping it Patina Reply with quote

55veedub wrote:
Whats the best way to perform the required repairs but keeping the finish looking original when the areas are repaired?

X2, Kirk

custom matched spray paint. sorry, no pics. did both my rear vents after a quick sanding.
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with a little scuffing after the new panel has been welded in, primed and painted, its possible to keep it original. My biggest concern was keeping it as original as possibe. i would think that the closer the respray paint is to the original the better the effect.

The bus i am looking at is not nearly as rough as the laundry bus, its all one color but is just dull/faded. Im sure with a bit of a buff it will be glossy again. I would very much like to keep the original paint on it though after any repais that it will need

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good buff and a coat of wax will do that bus wonders. PM VDubTech about this sort of thing. He does it all the time with buses he drags home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OG paint is still on the bus, and the bus has been kept out of the weather, you could just buff it and apply a non-silcone wax like carnuba every 3 to 4 months. However finding a OG paint in that condition is rare. Most of the buses I've seen like that are already re-painted and what you are seeing is the re-paint patina. Or, there are spots of rust in between the patina. Afterall, these are 35+/- year old cars. If you decide to repaint it keep good before and after photos so someone will know it is not a Katrina bus hiding under the paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: