Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the Sink “Off The Grid” and Removing Water Hookups
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Getting the Sink “Off The Grid” and Removing Water Hookups Reply with quote

Vehicle: 87 Westy “Hurricane”

Goals of this project:

-Eliminate the need for electric power in the faucet/water tank system
-Remove city water hookup
-Remove outside water tank fill hookup
-Replace all water lines and hardware from tank to faucet
-Replace drain pipe and hardware

http://indytriple.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Westy-Sink-Refurb-Project/

Enjoy!

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more that simpler is better. Less sh*t to break!

I would however try to make everything reversable and keep all the OG stuff boxed up for resale, a later owner might love the stock set-up and want to convert it back. Nice work. Wink
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice work, and great write up!

One question: does the water drain back into the tank when you are done pumping, or does it stay primed? (it looks like the water tank is air-tight. And my knowledge of plumbing in NOT air tight.)
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion. Keeping the old stuff is a must. I bag old hardware and pieces and label it so I'll have a prayer of remembering where it came from. Just be ready to justify to the wife why you have a box/closet/crawl space/basement/garage/house full of old, worn-out, broken-down Westy parts and pieces. My male instinct to horde and save is strong!

This is one of several projects that I have planned to simplify the van and its systems and to tailor it to our liking. Expect more photo albums in the near future of:

-Fridge removal
-A/C removal
-Rear heater removal

These projects aren't for everyone as I'm sure there are lots of you out there that use and enjoy these systems. I don't want for this post to become a referendum on whether you should or should not remove parts or systems from your van. That is for each individual owner to decide. My hope is that detailed pictures of my projects might even help someone save or fix one of these systems before they give up on it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water seems to stay primed even after the van sits for a few days. The system should be airtight when you get done. When I first hooked up the faucet and put water in the tank it took 5-10 seconds of pumping and spitting air until the water arrived. Now the water comes out immediately on the first pump. I'll add a video of the water flow coming out of the faucet when I get a chance. I'm sure some people are concerned that the flow of this system/faucet might not be enough for them. I find it to be more than adequate.

krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (maybe obvious) question: if the tank is airtight, what replaces the removed water?

(I'm thinking using the same pump,I could make a separate sink/tank to bring along. We carry water in to our cabin and not having "running" water can be a pain.)

thanks.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Actually, the tank is NOT airtight. I purposefully used simple black nylon plugs to plug the extra two holes at the top of the tank so that they would fill the holes snugly. This avoids water splashing out in the odd situation that water would be touching or reaching the very top of the tank, but they are not quite airtight. This allows air to seep in and out as water is used or as temperatures change. I have a feeling that if the tank was really airtight as well, it might hurt the water flow coming to the faucet. However, when the tank has water in it and the water pickup at the bottom of the tank is submerged, the system from there to the the faucet IS airtight, which is the important part. I hope I'm explaining myself correctly. It's a bit confusing. The original system is NOT totally airtight at the tank either. It can "breathe" a little bit at the black rubber grommet where the white pump power cable runs into it.

krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh. Now it makes sense. As long as the circuit from the pickup to the spigot is sealed, it holds prime. If the tap leaked somewhere the circuit would drain either into the sink or back to the tank.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I think I can use this.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really great! I didn't know about those hand pumps before.
Let's say I didn't want to do all that work right now, can I just install that pump to bypass my (burnt out) electric pump? Did GW provide instructions?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby Blu has a hand pump and I'm used to them from sailing. You can also get them with foot pump as well. On sailboats that have a DC water pump/faucet like the Westy they can also be pulled up and pushed down to pump water in the event of 12V source failure.

I'd like to remove or do something with the "potable water tank and seal it off somehow. On a Riviera the potable filler is different than the Westy. I'd never drink water out of a tank even if it was brand new and I javexed it as you should.

I have to wait until I get inside cleaning SB before doing anything or even knowing what to do. Cleaning with a tooth brush should make me familiar with all. But I almost forgot, my sink has 2 taps, one a pump and one manually off and on. I think the latter is connected with the hose connected and is simply opening and closing the flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's say I didn't want to do all that work right now, can I just install that pump to bypass my (burnt out) electric pump? Did GW provide instructions?

Yes, you can simply install the hand pump to bypass the electric pump. The hand pump will simply draw water through the bad pump (unless it's clogged in some way). GW did not supply any instructions with the hand pump faucet, but it's a pretty simple job. Just refer to my photos or PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers

westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just in the middle of putting my interior back together after taking everything in the back out. While I had it all apart, decided to simplify the van.

- Installed GW Hand Pump (removed electric pump and all associated wires)
- Removed Fresh Water Tank and replaced it with a 10 litre jug under the sink
- Replaced Sink Drain Line with the GW Kit. I may even divert the waste water into a 5 litre Grey Water tank under the sink. Figure it can be smaller then the Fresh Water Tank.
- Removed Propane Tank and converting to 1bls Cylinders/ or Extended Stay connection to run off a 10 lbs tank
- Removed Fridge (Replaced with Engel Fridge and fab cupboard shelves)
- Replaced 120V with GW 120V connection but will only run it to a couple of GFI plugs

The only issue is the connections on the side. I would have liked to have closed them off but I just painted the van last year and I did not want to repaint. So. I removed most of the hardware and siliconed them all closed. That will keep the water out until I come up with a better solution. I made a rubber gasket to close off the Fridge Exhaust Vent. The Vent is still there but the rubber gasket will keep the water out.

Overall I think that this makes the van much simpler to use and the less stuff there, the less stuff to break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only issue is the connections on the side. I would have liked to have closed them off but I just painted the van last year and I did not want to repaint.

I'm going to get two of these hookup gaskets from GW:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2439&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I've got a buddy at a fab shop at the racetrack here in Indy. I'm going to give him the gaskets as a template, and he's going to make me some nice stainless steel plates to cover the water hookup holes on the side of the van.

purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to sell the a/c stuff let me know Smile
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy did you gain valuable storage space when you removed the water tank? I'd like to do that and put a removeable new gas tank below the sink.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I think I have more storage space. I went from a 40L tank to a total of 15 litres (10L Fresh water 5L Grey Water). My wife would not drink the water in the tank no matter what I did with it. I had to haul an extra 10L of water in a new jug and all that space was never used.

That space where the water tank was, will hold a lot of nice stuff. I also got ride of the fridge so I gained a lot of space there.

I think the main issue to reduce what is inside the van. Sometimes I feel like I am carrying 400 lbs of junk for nothing; but I like it when I am camping and I or a fellow camper comes a calling for something and I have it. JUSTICE for carrying around the extra 400 lbs.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I''ll have to do a crawl around as I'd really like to remove my potable tank (on my Westy I think it was under the passenger's seat underneath the van so that won't save space inside BUT perhaps it would be good for some Panama Jack's) as I too would never use it no matter what. I'll carry drinking water. I drink a lot of water, a lot. Then depending on the size of the city water tank I may remove it for storage space and use a container under the sink for washing dishes etc... hooked up to the hand pump. I do have a second faucet (just open & closed) which I will most likely hook up to a container of reg water under the sink for dish washing, teeth etc. I'm going for the 'more storage space syndrome'.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're all being overly cautious about your water use. There's no reason not to use the tank that's there for drinking. I've been drinking that water for years and have seen nothing out of the ordinary, and I do nothing special to treat my system. Just for fun, I have a friend in a water quality lab' I'll send him a sample and see what he finds. The water coming out of your pipes at home probably contains more contaminants than you'll find in the Westy system. Nobody thinks twice about that.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with PDXWesty. As a mountain biker I've lost track of how many grungy hydration pack bladders and water bottles I've been forced (or chosen) to drink from! In my world the Westy tank is the least of my worries. That being said, I clean the Westy tank occasionally with a water/bleach solution.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is what is recommended. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: