Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My conundrum
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Late Westy?
Sell the deluxe and the '70, buy a late camper, and take the kids camping whilst you can.
67%
 67%  [ 25 ]
Camp in the converted Deluxe. You wanted it, build it and enjoy it. Bring some tents.
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 37

Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: My conundrum Reply with quote

Okay. I have three buses. My '73 driver, the '70 Westy, and a '69 Deluxe. Here is the deal. I have been working on the Deluxe (it was gutted when I bought it, and I didnt need another transporter), making it a ratty camper. It has a full size westy bed and jump seat, and is functional for me to camp in. The problem started when I drug up the 70 Westy. It wasn't for keeps, just to sell, and put the money into the Deluxe. My boys started playing in it, and asked when they could go camping. They got really exited, and played in the '70 all day. We looked on the Samba last night, and found several late Westys we all liked.

Here is my problem. I have been working on the deluxe, planning on running it with a narrowed beam, horseshoe plates, and other cool crap. Now, I want to get a camper. I have always wanted a Late Bay camper, (sorta like I always wanted a lowered bay) and as much as I want this lowered (well, not yet) bay, I am thinking I should get the Westy, and camp while my boys are young enough.

Here is the question. Keep the ratty camper, or sell it and buy a Late Westy. I cant afford both, and my limit is two VWs.

What would you do?

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your kids are only young once. buy the late camper
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go camping with the kids, one day you'll wake up and they won't even want to be seen with you.

A late camper is nice but why not roll the 70? if rooms an issue add the continental upper bed, you can swap parts (even engines temporarily) and get some quality time in now (it's a hell of alot easier to sell later if it's running too Wink ). Don't slam it, all the great camping spots are off road, and don't get too carried away with a resto, address the brakes, lights and safety issues, give it a wash and go, nothings more fun than a bus when you don't have to sweat over another scratch or dent.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say keep the '70 and camp with that. They look better than the later bays because of the small taillights and low mounted turn signals. But the '73 and later will be safer.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Late Bay! Forget lowering; throw on some BFG mud terrains and get it sitting nice and high, hit those fire trails with the a coleman stove, some fishing poles, and the kids and have a blast! You can't buy that kind of peace.... oh wait, YOU CAN!

Bus Life is the best.... Razz

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I say keep the '70 and camp with that. They look better than the later bays because of the small taillights and low mounted turn signals. But the '73 and later will be safer.

ok i will bite, why would a later bay be safer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
rustfree1967bug wrote:

ok i will bite, why would a later bay be safer?

cause it has square bumpers. DUH Rolling Eyes
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and power disk brakes too Wink
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the late bays are called safer because of the reinforced Y shaped front frame structure, and the front wheel disc brakes instead of the weaker drums.... Don't know if there is any other difference....

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late campers rule.

Thread over.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
Late campers rule.

Thread over.

word
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say late bay. His 70 has some crusty bits like the rear corner. Its been sitting a while too. Besides the early bays only have an upper cot, and a late bay has a upper bed. Would work better for the twins. The 70 needs more work to get it on the road.

Sell them both, buy the late bay, camp till it breaks, buy a Raby CS, camp till it breaks again. I think the late bay is a better camper. If the 70 was in better shape, I would say yeah. Late bay, and do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, a late bay is more evolved, but it sounds like we are on a budget here and already have a running upright engine, a 1 hour swap sounds better than a type 4 rebuild job to me.

As for the reinforced Y structure, 1970 already has it as it's the first year for it, if we were worried about safety we'd be posting in the Volvo forum anyways and not here.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
... if we were worried about safety we'd be posting in the Volvo forum anyways and not here.

THANK YOU! Applause
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Remark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, while personally I prefer the early bays, I say go with the late and camp with your kids. Mine both mocked me before our first campout, but now they get mad if I go without them. Get a westy you like and camp the hell out of it!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the current Westy drivable? If so, take 'em camping and see how they (and you) like it. Your answer will lay within that trip.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love our Riviera (full upper bed) and recommend nothing else.
The First Invasion
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell them both. The money you make will make a good down payment on your new westy.

If the family loves the idea of a new(ish) camper, but doesnt like what you have now, sell it, and capitalize on the moment. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine keeping it old school. How big are the kids anyway? Any westy is great but I find that the bed, table, and light are truly the only things that I really appreciate. to get rid of a lot of the hassle you'd be best off installing a bed, a cot, and the table and buying a nice modern camp stove and a tent to pack along. With my westies it seems that the stove and fridge are only for showing off and not really using. Just my perspective.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote keep the early Bay. You can always move on if the kids like camping more luxuriously [in plaid] Smile
I'm on my fifth bus; went full circle from early Bay-Vanagon(s)-Eurovan and back to a (retro-fitted) 'tintop' project. We never used the kitchen stuff, just the table & jump seat like the other person said. The upright is so easy and cheap to work on....
Aside: thanks for the safety info busdaddy. I always heard the '73s & up were safer but, if my '71 has the same frame design, great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: