Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Interested in Getting the first Run of Dashes Going?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone Interested in Getting the first Run of Dashes Going? Reply with quote

Figure id start my own thread on this subject. ive made a mold to make a brand new upper bay dash strip. the one that runs across the top. this mold has the correct grain and i use original reinforcements and studs in them, so far ive made one, and was going to make more, but with the way the economy is going im not sure what kind of demand there is. i dont want to pay for a half dozen to be made if they wont sell. id have to sell them at $150 each shipped and at that cost i wont be making much money. i payed for the mold, and i still need c-clamps, 5 gallons of materials and five of catalyst, hd drill, and to pay the guy to pour the first 6 and to teach me the ratio and measurements. if anyone is interested contact me, it will take about three to four weeks to make the batch but i need at least three commitments and payment. thanks again.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Interested in Getting the first Run of Dashes Goi Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
Figure id start my own thread on this subject. ive made a mold to make a brand new upper bay dash strip. the one that runs across the top. this mold has the correct grain and i use original reinforcements and studs in them, so far ive made one, and was going to make more, but with the way the economy is going im not sure what kind of demand there is. i dont want to pay for a half dozen to be made if they wont sell. id have to sell them at $150 each shipped and at that cost i wont be making much money. i payed for the mold, and i still need c-clamps, 5 gallons of materials and five of catalyst, hd drill, and to pay the guy to pour the first 6 and to teach me the ratio and measurements. if anyone is interested contact me, it will take about three to four weeks to make the batch but i need at least three commitments and payment. thanks again.

Pictures?

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late bay or early bay?
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the add im currently running. it is for 70-79 but will function on 68-69. i am looking for a perfect 68-69 dash to make a mold from ,but the molds are expensive , even with my hookup! i figured 70-79 is a braoder market since 68-69 is so specialized, but people are always asking for those two years, well if these sell ok and i can recoup some costs, i will surely get 68-69 pads going.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=716558
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ad is inactive.

Add is something you do with numbers
An ad is something up for sale as in advertisement.
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....it is up now.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the divit?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill let you borrow mine from my 69 when i have it out, so you can make a mold from it.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is uncracked that would be sweet and ill compensate you for it. as for the divit, there are mirror stampings on each end which i believe were for right hand drive/ left side grab handle. i dont use the original method of vacum forming the pad which sucks the air out of the foam so it has to be perfect mix in order to be thin enough to let air escape but thick enough to not come out rubbery in the end. also this was the first one ever made and the second batch im told would be near perfect and devoid of that soft spot where the left grab handle would be. they come with holes in the og inserts and trap air. this is also attributed to fresh new mix out of the can which will prevent this the second time around, if i can get enough orders. as for the surface i am satisfied that there were no big porous spots. have faith i am trying to offer something good with low costs. if i had to do it the vacum form method costs would be around 500 or so per pad...who'd buy it? also once i run out of original inserts and can no longer locate them, ill have to option for fiberglass or epoxy resin units....another reason why no one else will make them...too much labor and cost without much return.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that color just a perfect match, or do you paint the dash face as well? will paint stick to a plastic dash face? i ask because i have a perfect dash that someone ruined with duct tape residue. havent tried soaking it off with lacquer thinner yet, but i tell myself that i can always paint it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
is that color just a perfect match, or do you paint the dash face as well? will paint stick to a plastic dash face? i ask because i have a perfect dash that someone ruined with duct tape residue. havent tried soaking it off with lacquer thinner yet, but i tell myself that i can always paint it.

mine are not painted but you can use vinyl paint on the face, will it match? dont know.
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"S'plain" to me why this is such a need item. I could use a new dash pad, since the PO was a cigar smoker that couldn't find the ashtray.

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one, but I just went to the junkyard and purchased a mint original complete dash for $19.25.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
I'd buy one, but I just went to the junkyard and purchased a mint original complete dash for $19.25.

if it was not faded that's great, you and i are not as picky but ive met cats that want new everything. but what i really wanted was to be one of the firsts in the country. im not sure if they make them in the uk but im betting they are upwards of $300-400 bucks.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:

Don't use thinner, Goo Gone will get rid of the residue like it was never there. Put some on a clean rag and work it across the residue, in less than a minute it will start to come off and won't hurt the dash at all.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rarley (and i mean rarely) do i stick up for people but give the guy a break. everyone pisses and moans about the lack of repro/ decent quality stuff, then really cry when the part is mucho expensive. i think after he masters the process which he clearly states is in the infant stages he will be able to reproduce a really affordable hard to find part. on top of that, perhaps he will do dash faces, and get rid of all the holes p/o's have drilled for gauges, swithces and hack radio installs. these are pretty much hand made. look at Gearson (KlassicFab) and his hand made rust repair panels, some are dead on, others a touch off, but he is the only show that is making butt tons of splitty repair panels that actually work.

your better than me 420goat. when i did my 'ultimate bus tach' i had emails and phone calls from all over wanting to buy one. problem is, people expect the world from you, so i did my how to write up and let them do it.

i am sure you will get it down before long and do just fine with them. 19.25 dash boards aren't all over the place, so, you may be on to something
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
rarley (and i mean rarely) do i stick up for people but give the guy a break. everyone pisses and moans about the lack of repro/ decent quality stuff, then really cry when the part is mucho expensive. i think after he masters the process which he clearly states is in the infant stages he will be able to reproduce a really affordable hard to find part. on top of that, perhaps he will do dash faces, and get rid of all the holes p/o's have drilled for gauges, swithces and hack radio installs. these are pretty much hand made. look at Gearson (KlassicFab) and his hand made rust repair panels, some are dead on, others a touch off, but he is the only show that is making butt tons of splitty repair panels that actually work.

your better than me 420goat. when i did my 'ultimate bus tach' i had emails and phone calls from all over wanting to buy one. problem is, people expect the world from you, so i did my how to write up and let them do it.

i am sure you will get it down before long and do just fine with them. 19.25 dash boards aren't all over the place, so, you may be on to something

i really value the kind words and appreciate the support, true the time may be too soon but i was laid off from west coast metric in november and had it happened a little sooner the dash mold may not have manifested. i now am in contact with the main man(the actual maker not the owner of the company) and under his advise stayed away from the vacum form method which would have cost 10k ballpark. ive invested one tenth of that and am very happy with my product and price. i wish i could lower the price but then ill truly lose my ass in cost. big companies dont care about the scene, but the bottom dollar....they have to. SOMEDAY I MAY MAKE THE FACE BUT FOR NOW THE COST foe the pad needs to be recuoped....thanks again for the support.
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kudos on getting that all done. I would never buy one, I am actually gonna tear apart my dash for that blank steel look. I just can really appreciate te work that whent into that.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Gerson is successful because there are no other places making the same quality pieces. Mint condition used body panels are not out there for split Buses, unless NOS, which is expensive. That's the difference. The dashes above look great, but there is no market for them. Junkyard dashes are everywhere, and I don't mean faded, cracked dashes. A quick look at the classifieds shows 5 dashes for under $40, including the dash handle, some with the face of the dash, not just the upper pad. A quick visit to your local junkyard would yield many $19.25 dashes.

Now if you were to repro late model wrap around seat stand mats that fit correctly, or a bench seat middle seat stand mat...

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
RobWeidman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I purchased one of the first production run dash pads and just installed it yesterday. I chose to buy "new" because I don't have the plethora of junk yards having ample Type 2 donors. Not sure where everyone else lives, but these things just aren't easy to come by here in Pittsburgh. Moreover, when it comes to buying a used vs new part, if the component is something that could deteriorate with age, I typically will favor a quality new part over a 35+ year old one. And in this case, the UV-resistant nature of the new product was a plus.

The new dash pad very closely approximates the original. Its installation went better than expected. Aside from a few knicked knuckles, it wasn't all that difficult. I managed to take a few photos comparing the old and new, side-by-side. The post-install photos didn't turn out so well, due to lack of sunlight. So I'll retake them and post all of them in a follow-up.

During the installation, I paid attention to the replacement procedure and will document that in case anyone needs detailed instructions. A couple of leisurely hours was all that was needed.

All around I'm very happy with the quality and fit of the new dash pad. It's looks significantly better than the old cracked one. With any luck it will give many years of service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: