Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outside diameter of OEM Valve Guides on 1600 head ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Outside diameter of OEM Valve Guides on 1600 head ? Reply with quote

I'm replacing some of the valve guides on my 1600-based head (yes, I know what I'm doing), but so many aftermarket silicon-bronze valve guide manufacturers refer to OD of an OEM VW valve guide as "Standard diameter", with 1st, 2nd, etc. oversize OD meant for a broached out guide hole in the head.

Ok....great, so WHAT is "Standard" OD?" I removed the guides from my head, and the hole measures 12.091mm (or .476"). One cannot know which oversize --if any, they'll need until the guide is removed, of course.

thanx
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances of u having oversize guides are about zero to none,i have never run into any on the heads i have replaced the guides.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Chances of u having oversize guides are about zero to none,i have never run into any on the heads i have replaced the guides.

I beg to differ... they sell them for a reason! (and I have seen many a head that needed them.) If you do enough valve jobs on these old heads you will run into some. I try to keep some over sized of several different dimensions in my stash as you never know what you will need until you drift the old guide out and measure.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an invoice last night of some of the work done on these heads--indeed two of the guides were "1st Oversize", but can someone tell me what size "Standard" is? in thousanths... I'm guessing 12.000.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: