Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco 050 heads?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f*ckin vw people Rolling Eyes

the ford vs chevy vs dodge vs imports goes on...now with heads. sadly, 1/2 the folks in this thread wouldn't know a quality part if it sat on their face and farted. not "targeting" anyone...but come the f*ck on...read this thread and look how some of you sound...

that said, I used jc whiney heads, sanded my lifters flat with 24 grit and did a break in with mobil 1 drained from my audi. revved it to the moon for 2.5 minutes put it in the shed, let mice piss all over it and pack the fins with grass and insulation. now what?

you guys kill me!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
... I used jc whiney heads, sanded my lifters flat with 24 grit and did a break in with mobil 1 drained from my audi. revved it to the moon for 2.5 minutes put it in the shed, let mice piss all over it and pack the fins with grass and insulation. now what?
Applause

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
f*ckin vw people Rolling Eyes

the ford vs chevy vs dodge vs imports goes on...now with heads. sadly, 1/2 the folks in this thread wouldn't know a quality part if it sat on their face and farted. not "targeting" anyone...but come the f*ck on...read this thread and look how some of you sound...

that said, I used jc whiney heads, sanded my lifters flat with 24 grit and did a break in with mobil 1 drained from my audi. revved it to the moon for 2.5 minutes put it in the shed, let mice piss all over it and pack the fins with grass and insulation. now what?

you guys kill me!

Double Applause
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are some of you saying that the Chinese 500 series heads I have are better than the new Mofoco 050 heads I bought from the classifieds? Shocked
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeninCas wrote:
Are some of you saying that the Chinese 500 series heads I have are better than the new Mofoco 050 heads I bought from the classifieds? Shocked

Lenin,
Your going to start the product war. The short answer is you got a great set of heads for cheap. Build it and prosper.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize. Those are not my intentions. I personally like the 050 heads a lot more.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion about if the cooling passages ore open or not......I don't see it as big deal. If you want better cooling then there are lots of porting to be done on ALL the heads, even the stock ones.
The chinese are using the bare minimum amount of material in the casting and some like that because it saves them work, but if there are holes in your ports then don't come crying.

It is much easier to remove aluminum than to add it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi modok I had 3 different china heads with the guides coming lose from the head . now these are buggy guys and they can break any thing lol the head casting seems to be kind of soft alum. when I install the over size guides into the head modok have you run into this with china heads spencerfvee
modok wrote:
This discussion about if the cooling passages ore open or not......I don't see it as big deal. If you want better cooling then there are lots of porting to be done on ALL the heads, even the stock ones.
The chinese are using the bare minimum amount of material in the casting and some like that because it saves them work, but if there are holes in your ports then don't come crying.

It is much easier to remove aluminum than to add it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one set of Tims/china on my buddies engine. Hopefully he will drive it a lot so we can find out how they hold up.

My favorite heads are the ones made in mexico.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built several engines with the Tims AA castings. Granted, not many here drive their rides daily like I almost do, all run fine. I did notice that the AA 043 copy casting is a lot lighter than the original Mexican 043s. Tbh, i am biased with the head line they offer. Its a fair cost, quality ported head.
Id like to try a super pro one day, but i would likely step up to the ultra wedge 46mm heads if i ever did.
I haven't been able to compare the tims hwad built combos to anything of a similar combo. I built them for what the customer needed and wanted. If the Tims use the AA casting religiously and showed me face to face the differences in the diff castings, I believe them. They use their own in house 44 valve head in their own race car.
I'd like to try one of Roys 050s one day to so that I can give that head a fair assessment. I like the idea of a heavily finned casting like he does. Unfortunately made in the US detail doesn't move me as much as the price does. Call me un American it's ok. I did tours in the middle east armed, with indirect fire and constant insider threats daily.
Price VS quality VS time parts received is my bottom line.

Roy, your damned if you do. Damned if you dont. I'm on the side of wanting to see the numbers. Irregardless, advertising makes money. CB and DRD advertise flow numbers. I'm fairly confident that they sell lots of heads a year. It's advertising and it sells.
Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just finishing up the porting on the 043 china heads I got from Tims. First off I am not a fan of china stuff but at the same time I recognize that china parts vary greatly in design and quality by a very wide margin (some stuff is crap some is good).

What is nice about china stuff is they are willing to listen to experts and make it how the expert want's it but they have to listen to the right expert. So far I would NOT buy a china crank because IMO they listened to the wrong expert. Some one needed to hand them a berg crank and say make it like this.

These heads seem to act a lot like a VW head when porting as far how they cut, feel and look. The original guides have gone in the trash and I will use new quality ones and will get a feel for their fit. They manifold gasket suface is not bigger than stock but the added material around the port is enough to add a very nice big enough street port. I don't like the fact that there is no bump in the port for the valve spring (makes it hard to know where not to cut).

Tims admits he prefers the filled in 501 head for a weekend warrior engine because of the extra material.

Me, I want the 500/043 head because I will use as a daily driver and need all the cooling I can get. I want the ability to drive wherever and however I want.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Ruddock on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my thread from 2005 with the 050 flow numbers.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100523&highlight=

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the fact that it is a "fluff&buff" flow reading. where is the line drawn between "fluf&buff"& ported. the pockets were blended witch can make a big difference in flow, I blend my seats....from the chamber to the intake/exhaust flange . And just polishing does squat,but how much polishing?was any contours changed?at all???
I have roys 042's. they said they flow [email protected]" as I recall. that was out of the box.mine flowed 132 out of the box. out of the box is out of the box not "fluffy&buffy" unless all your unported heads receive the same treetment before being put in the box.
I think they should be re flo tested in the same manner that ded,cb,tim rev do.at the same lifts so they can be compared easyer.some people think because your flow listed is at .450" they have to have a cam that size.witch is way far from true.and that is not the max the head flows. those are nice flowing heads and with some proper work very good flowing. the same go's for the 042's.
with all this said.....I thought this thread was about the cooling and flow between the fins?? go figure Im stupid.sorry
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I dont like the fact that it is a "fluff&buff" flow reading. where is the line drawn between "fluf&buff"& ported. the pockets were blended witch can make a big difference in flow, I blend my seats....from the chamber to the intake/exhaust flange . And just polishing does squat,but how much polishing?was any contours changed?at all???
I have roys 042's. they said they flow [email protected]" as I recall. that was out of the box.mine flowed 132 out of the box. out of the box is out of the box not "fluffy&buffy" unless all your unported heads receive the same treetment before being put in the box.
I think they should be re flo tested in the same manner that ded,cb,tim rev do.at the same lifts so they can be compared easyer.some people think because your flow listed is at .450" they have to have a cam that size.witch is way far from true.and that is not the max the head flows. those are nice flowing heads and with some proper work very good flowing. the same go's for the 042's.
with all this said.....I thought this thread was about the cooling and flow between the fins?? go figure Im stupid.sorry

Yeah, a few people mentioned flow numbers and I did this testing myself 10 years ago and posted the numbers. The fluff and buff is really what I charge $125 for. Before I do any work to the casting, I take out the intake and exhaust guide bosses and polish the chamber. Then install the guides and seats and blend ports to the seats, if necessary. So, this is what you get if you buy our 050's ported and polished off our website.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remove the guide boss just recontour them(tear drop win possiable) and only polish the ex side of chamber. if I had bought a set & flow tested out of the box , and they were not close... I would be pissed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: