Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Crewcabs & Fire Don't Mix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Syncro Crewcabs & Fire Don't Mix Reply with quote

This is painful.

On January 4th, our family had a housefire. We lost all of our posessions as well as our cat.

A few weeks prior, I un-registered the Syncro because I wanted to do the heads. I also saved a few bucks by pulling the insurance on the vehicle.

Vehicle Before -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After the fire -

Not only did we have no Renters insurance, we had no insurance on this vehicle.

Anyone want to buy it for parts? We have nothing, as in ZERO - I'd prefer someone here use the parts rather than scrap it. It cannot be restored.

Michael

YouTube Video of the fire -

Link

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Crewcabs & Fire Don't Mix Reply with quote

Quite painful to see, indeed. My condolances for the loss of your possessions, rig and the cat.

I'm too far away ... perhaps folks closer by could acquire as a project ... or just start parting.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see that. I remember admiring your rig on some blog here a while back. This is what keeps me up at 3am when I wake and think about my Syncro project in the garage and if I turned everything off. Ya just never know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunshine_norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m sorry to hear, and see that Sad
I hope everything is ok with you and your family !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm close to you. PM sent, let me know if you need anything.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Its really terrible to have to go through something like that. At least you are okay, sorry to hear about your cat. As much as it sucks the Doka is just metal.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow michael sorry about your loss my heart goes out to you and your family. thank god everyone is ok. looks to me like there are valuable parts useable everywhere. rear and side gates, motor & trans looks to have been saved?? never ever think the impossible. i have seen more than few fire damaged vw's brought back to life. i look at it as savable. hey i bet some kind person on the samba would let you store it for awhile, so to let you clear your head. ( hint hint ) just my thoughts
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should biff right out!

Seriously, sorry for the loss, luckily it wasn't any worse.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP puddy tat Sad

Nice doka, bummer to see that so fire damaged.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
never ever think the impossible. i have seen more than few fire damaged vw's brought back to life. i look at it as savable. hey i bet some kind person on the samba would let you store it for awhile, so to let you clear your head. ( hint hint ) just my thoughts

Idea Applause Tow dolly ___room to store___who me? Cool
Mike, make the call
Are you a victim of this arson bug?
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
devesvws wrote:
never ever think the impossible. i have seen more than few fire damaged vw's brought back to life. i look at it as savable. hey i bet some kind person on the samba would let you store it for awhile, so to let you clear your head. ( hint hint ) just my thoughts

Idea Applause Tow dolly ___room to store___who me? Cool
Mike, make the call
Are you a victim of this arson bug?
my wife asked the same thing
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see that, would love to assist but am too far away. For future reference when parking your vehicle for extended periods of time your insurance company should be able to provide coverage. Just have them remove the portions of your policy that pertain to driving and leave comprehensive on it. I have done this for years with everything from our Westy Syncro to a 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm really sorry to hear of this. I have no idea how you must feel right now. Hang in there though!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys.... Reply with quote

I had to post this loss here - only place I could think of where people would understand, and I was right.

No, we were not the victim of the local arsonist. We were renting the home. When we moved in, there was a florescent fixture in the center of the garage that was wired / pigtailed in to another light. It had no bulbs in it, and someone had been working on the light before we moved in (a couple of used ballasts were on the garage floor)

Day before the fire, I installed bulbs in the fixture for the first time. On Sunday the 4th, I had the lights on & left them on. Fixture overheated, didn't blow fuse.

Regarding the car, I always wondered why people didn't just clean up & repaint fire-damaged cars - now I know. There is not one piece of metal on, in or under the cab that is not severely warped. The magnesium on the car (in the front anyway) went up, and the firefighters could not extinguish it - I've never seen anything like it, and I had a real-life "China Syndrome" going on in my driveway. Burning so bright you could not look at it.

Anyway, the locker 5speed syncro trans was not touched. Gates are fine. Frame for the bed cover is servicable.

I've wanted this vehicle for 15 years - makes me sick every time I look at it, and as we have lost everything, I must part with it. Make me any offer at all. Yes, charity is fine Wink

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, i'm sorry. anything else i could write would be a massive understatement, so... just know people here are hoping the best for you in rebuilding.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, golly, I'm almost at the one-year anniversary of my Super being lost to fire. This is a very sad reminder and I didn't lose my belongings or a beloved family pet. I wish I could offer something more than words.

As far as your Syncro Doka, clean up the loose stuff and take some comprehensive pics. Then, place an ad in the classified section here and at VW Vortex. CraigsList is popular, too, but I am not so familiar with it.

My Super changed hands at least three times after the fire. I have since lost track as to who has it but I know it will turn up some day.

Strangely since yours wasn't registered or insured, you can offer a clean title with it. To someone who wants to take on a project -- and yours has to be a desireable one -- that may add a little extra value back (I hope).

I have no idea how else I could help but if you think of something, drop me a PM. I think I'm only 90 minutes away.
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad you and your family were unharmed.

I'd love to help you out by buying your truck, but I'm sure you'll get a better offer than what little I could give for it.

Not sure what I can do to help, but I'm located a bit north of you in the Lehigh Valley area and would do what I can for you. Maybe if you find a buyer up this way I could help w/ transporting it or something.

good luck.

Will

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly sorry to hear of your losses. Hang in there - this too shall pass.
Aloha Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssorrell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the DOKA? Looks like something that could be fixed with parts off a junkyard-bound vanagon. Except the rear seat and the gas tank, that is (I'm guessing the fire involved the gas tank). Ok, so you won't have the right rear bench. I like a 1998 Dodge 2500 crewcab rear bench better anyway. Well, there's also the back window...
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the front pumpkin burned, magneizum(sp?)fire___very hot ,can't use water. Read frame damage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: