Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eriba Puck "inner shell" Poptop Material
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Eriba Puck "inner shell" Poptop Material Reply with quote

Anyone here that owns an Eriba Puck have a picture or know what kind of material was used for the Poptop shell, inside. The PO removed it all and what I have left is small patches of black sticky foam like substance here and there. Was it some kind of sticky back foam insulation of some kind? What the PO told me, and he was just selling it for an old lady friend that did not know anything about it, was he scrapped it off as it was falling and making everything kinda sticky inside. Even when I towed it home, just the little that was left I detected some black sticky foam-like stuff on the seats below that wiggled off on my way home.

Any tips would be nice.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had as thin layer of foam insulation with the same material as the headliner covering it. The foam was dried out and turning to powder. I glued in a couple of layers of foil covered bubble wrap, then reinstalled the headliner material.
Do you have your pop-top skirt? If not you can have the original from mine to use as a pattern. It's tattered but enough is there to make an accurate reproduction.
Drop me a PM if you need it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

.v

Last edited by BlastMasterMannyFresh on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Mine had as thin layer of foam insulation with the same material as the headliner covering it. The foam was dried out and turning to powder. I glued in a couple of layers of foil covered bubble wrap, then reinstalled the headliner material.
Do you have your pop-top skirt? If not you can have the original from mine to use as a pattern. It's tattered but enough is there to make an accurate reproduction.
Drop me a PM if you need it.

Are you meaning the orange canvas material with the zippered windows? Mine does have this, but needs replacement. Many of the zipper areas have come undone but it can be used for now.

Thanks for the offer. Was cool of you. Smile

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roger rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 71, the material was rolled up under the seat. It was the same material as the rest of the headliner in the puck. Apparently the pop top fiberglass had developed leaks and/or become somewhat porous and allowed water to seap in between this material and the fiberglass. Don't know if there was foam in between originally, but there was no sign of any foam insulation still there. After getting pop top gelcoat refinished, I just used some contact cement and glued the piece of headliner material back in place. Since I got the puck without anything on the pop top, right or wrong, I didn't use any foam between the fiberglass and headliner material. Looks good as new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: