Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original tires reproduced for Thing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a set of reproduced original design and size tires for your Thing?
In a heartbeat even if I didn't need new tires
34%
 34%  [ 26 ]
Yes I need some right now
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Definitely next time I need a set
23%
 23%  [ 18 ]
I'm cheap only if they're under $50 each
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
I like to just put car tires on my Thing
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Original tires reproduced for Thing Reply with quote

After hearing about Coker tire buying the molds to produce the Michelin XZX tires all my friends had on their bugs in high school made me start thinking maybe we could persuade them to find and buy the molds for the original Thing tires.

I know I would love a set of 5 or 10 of them and would be willing to pay top dollar. After looking around their website I just thought there had to be a bigger market for these than other tires they sell.

Post up if you would be interested in a set if they produced them so we could direct them here to see how much interest there is.

Also, if anyone has good pictures and info on them post it up too. I have been told there were actually two companies that made these tires both Good Year and Continental. If anyone can get some good pictures of these let's see them.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'm more into giving a more agressive look and substantial gain in clearance so I use 15" rims and tires. But if I want to go back to 100% stock look, it would sure be cool to have the correct tires.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 kinds,
BF Goodrich "Euzadki" also
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have collected 6 Continental and 6 B.F.G. original spare tires for my restored cars. I drive on these on a limited time. I have another set to swap on the cars for trips. Three brands were used. B.F. Goodrich Euzadki GT 700 made in Mexico, Continental TT 726 made in Germany and Metzler that I do not have any info about. Keep in mind that these were all tube type. 185 SR 14 M&S.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of the sidewall & tread pattern
mickeything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most definitely
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wishing for a reproduction of the stock tires so that you can have a restoration that's accurate right down to the tread pattern?

Check me if I'm wrong on this, but the tread pattern of the original Thing pattern wasn't all that aggressive to begin with. It didn't have huge lugs like the BFG KMs or the McCrearys. And one can still find tires in 185R14 fairly easily.

I think these Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires in 185R14 have a more aggressive look than the stock tires did. And finding less aggressive looking tires is easy. It's finding more aggressive tires in 14 inch that's getting tough. If Coker were to reproduce some tires, I'd wan't them to be BFG AT KM's or KO's in 27x8.5R14.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Are you wishing for a reproduction of the stock tires so that you can have a restoration that's accurate right down to the tread pattern?.

Not exactly my wish.

What I want is a tire that looks proper on a Thing, fits under the hood where the spare is supposed to be and to be able to buy a set without worrying if I will need another one a year later and can't find it because it has been discontinued.

While they didn't have huge lugs they still looked like some sort of an off-road tirehttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/481901.jpg , not a street tire like most everything in a 14" you can find now. Even the G/Y ATS looks more like a highway tread than a true off road pattern to me and I can't find that in a 14" anyway probably already discontinued (went to discount where you got the picture and even checked G/Y site and smallest size is LT215/75R15) http://goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/disp...;sidewall=

I spent days on the internet looking for the aggressive tires I have on my Thing right now and months later they were discontinued. Luckily I have never needed to buy another one but the day will come when I do. I guess since you wish for the BFG to be reproduced they have been discontinued too.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I agree with that. There seem to have been a few good tire choices in 14in, but not any more. A second for Captain's BFG KO/KM suggestion, I'd like a set of those..

My Thing currently wears 185/75 R14 BFG Traction T/A's. Its a mildly blocky tread, but built for the road. It looks fairly good and works well everywhere I have gone (street, rain, mud, dirt, sand, etc..). Offroad traction isn't amazing with these, but it is passable.

One option is the BFG Radial Long Trail's, they come in 205/75R14. I don't think that will fit under the hood, but the tread looks a little meaner than street tires.. My friend runs his Jeep all over the place on those, seems to work well.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the looks of this style found on the Thing brochure.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI, I've found two tires that are currently available in 27x8.5r14.

Kumho Road Venture MT

General Grabber AT2

27x8.5r14 is the only 14" size available for these tires, so there's no chance of a similar spare.

For those interested, 28x8.5r14 is the largest size that will fit an unmodified Thing with no rubbing. The closest P-metric equivalent is 215/75r14. The largest size that will fit in the trunk is 195/75r14.

There's a great online tire size comparator here.

When you get them mounted, tell 'em Spalding said to put the white letters and the weights on the inside! Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sears Trailhandler AT's, they are a good match LT195 75R14
If you are looking for a match in size this size is exactly the same as the bfgoodrich euzadkis.
They are made by perelli
and with the sears name, they will probably be around a while, and serviceable anywhere in the country.
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the BF Goodrich tires too and always thought those would be the next tire I bought. I didn't know they had been discontinued. My point is how long will it be before all these aggressive tread tires are discontinued? Plus, I really would like the spare under the hood to match the rest of the tires.

If I were to go with 27x8.5s I would probably find out what this says and see if I can get some of thesehttp://www.webtire.eu/index.php?p=gumiabroncs_tala...mp;Keres=i

These Kumhos come up with this link but not with the search at the website http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=K...mp;place=2
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I like Sears Trailhandler AT's, they are a good match LT195 75R14
If you are looking for a match in size this size is exactly the same as the bfgoodrich euzadkis.
They are made by perelli
and with the sears name, they will probably be around a while, and serviceable anywhere in the country.

Couldn't find these on a search of Sears.com do you have a current link

Did find some G/Y Wrangler AT there in 195/75 for $173.96+tax, disposal fees, installation, etc. WOW that's expensive!!!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
These Kumhos come up with this link but not with the search at the website http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=K...mp;place=2

I like the Kumhos you found at Tire Rack better than the ones I found. I bet that Tire Rack having them while the Kumho website doesn't is a sign that they've been recently discontinued. I'm tempted to jump on a set myself and just keep them on the shelf.

______

On the left: the Kumho Road Venture MT 834 that you referenced
On the right: the VERY similar looking but now unavailable BFG TA/KM

vs. the ones I found: Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 which are what Kumho currently offers on their site.

thinghunter wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
I like Sears Trailhandler AT's . . .

Couldn't find these on a search of Sears.com do you have a current link? Did find some G/Y Wrangler AT there in 195/75 for $173.96+tax, disposal fees, installation, etc. WOW that's expensive!!!

I did a search for the Trailhandlers as well. No joy on finding the tires, but I did find a bunch of recall notices. Not sure the recall is for the same tire that Mike referenced, but since they are absent from the Sears website it may be a moot point.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they dont have them listed on the website. but either way, LT195 75 r 14, is the same sizing as original 185 sr14
CALL 518 630 0173
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an original thing spare tire, I don't think it was ever out of the trunk.

Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
3 kinds,
BF Goodrich "Euzadki" also

All of the THINGS I have owned had "Euzadki's" on them!

Chas
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have on my Thing right now in a 205 75 14:

Apparently still available in Russiahttp://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/Cooper/Discoverer_stt/size/205/75/R14/ but not in the US. Too bad we're not third world enough they think we would still want these. Oh look they even have the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO in 27x8.5x14 http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/BFGoodrich/All-terrain_t_a/size/0/27/R14/ and quite a nice selection(6 pages) in 14" http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/size///R14//2/#pagination
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: