Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original tires reproduced for Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a set of reproduced original design and size tires for your Thing?
In a heartbeat even if I didn't need new tires
34%
 34%  [ 26 ]
Yes I need some right now
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Definitely next time I need a set
23%
 23%  [ 18 ]
I'm cheap only if they're under $50 each
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
I like to just put car tires on my Thing
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas223 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
3 kinds,
BF Goodrich "Euzadki" also

All of the THINGS I have owned had "Euzadki's" on them!

Chas

While I don't know if it was in the 70s Euzadki is owned by Continentalhttp://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/c..._1_en.html and may have been just the Mexican version of the Continental
Alan Smithee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Euzkadi Reply with quote

I didn't vote in the poll; there wasn't a category for 'would buy if equal to or less than the Goodyear Wrangler AT in price'.

Here are some photos of an original Thing tube-style BFG Euzkadi GT-700...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the same spare i still have. i didnt realize it was original.

i would love to have a set.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Euzkadi Reply with quote

Alan Smithee wrote:
I didn't vote in the poll; there wasn't a category for 'would buy if equal to or less than the Goodyear Wrangler AT in price'.

Here are some photos of an original Thing tube-style BFG Euzkadi GT-700...

I like those BFG Euzkadi tires also. Did you find The Goodyear Wrangler AT tires for less than about $175 each which is the cheapest i've found them and they are probably about to discontinue those as Goodyear website shows the 195/75/14 as the last available size in those specific tires and not in the newer versions.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading VWGirl's post on trouble getting tires for her Thing I thought I would bump this back up to the top. I had found some GoodYear Wrangler HT offroad tires in 185R14C on their website a month or so ago but now can't seem to find them. They too probably have been discontinued but I might go check at my local GoodYear store to see if they can still get me a set.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, here they are but they don't seem as agressive as I would like but they are the right size:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/...ht%20Truck
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Hey guys,

My Thing came with a "Jetzon" spare tire, has a similar pattern to the original but not exact.

it looks like it's an old used spare too, has some wear on it.

anybody remember Jetzon? I remember these tires from the early 80's.
When I get home I can post a pic if ya like.

I'd like a set of original's, I'd need new rims' though, my Thing has 15's on it right now.

T.
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
anybody remember Jetzon?

I remember Jetzon. I also remember Jane, his wife, daughter Judy and his boy Elroy.

Come on. You had to see this one coming a mile away.
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
Oh wait, here they are but they don't seem as agressive as I would like but they are the right size:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/...ht%20Truck

If you are looking for a tire with more aggressive tread in the correct size, you might want to look at Nokian Tires. I purchased the nokian hakkapeliitta cs winter tire for my thing and really like it. Check it out here:

http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta%20CS.htm

This is a good page on tires as well:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TirePhotos.html
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdwalter wrote:
I purchased the nokian hakkapeliitta cs winter tire for my thing and really like it.

SD Walter, what size did you get? There's not a 14 inch size that approximates 185R14. Here's the Nokian Hakkapelliita:

Also found on the TireFactory.net site:
Left: Vredstein Transport Snow, available in 185R14. Right: Multi-Mile Wild Country, available in 205/75R14 ( just a half inch taller and wider than 185R14.)

yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Also found on the TireFactory.net site:
Left: Vredstein Transport Snow, available in 185R14. Right: Multi-Mile Wild Country, available in 205/75R14 ( just a half inch taller and wider than 185R14.)

They also have the Wild Country Radial TXR in 205/75R14. Slightly heavier, little deeper tread, and a pattern closer to factory Thing tires (more side lugs).

SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at the Super Traxion tires from Specialty Tires of America? I realize they are bias ply, but they do come in 14 inch sizes and appear to have a decently aggressive tread. Just throwing them out there.

http://www.stausaonline.com/bias-ply-passenger/postal-tires.html

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain, The link sdwalter posted took me to a size chart that lists 185R14 and 195R14 but those don't really look all that aggressive to me.

Also, the 205 75 14 is what I have on mine and while I have it under the hood that is only due to the PO having a bigger tire under there and so I figured it wouldn't make it any worse but if I had a nicer Thing I probably wouldn't feel comfortable pushing down on my hood to get it to close.

I started this thread because so many people seem to have trouble finding tires with an aggressive tread, that also fit under the hood where the spare belongs. Also Silver Thing, the Super Traxion tires from Specialty Tires of America have been mentioned in another thread and those too do not fit under the hood.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also Silver Thing, the Super Traxion tires from Specialty Tires of America have been mentioned in another thread and those too do not fit under the hood.

I do recall them being mentioned, but I was under the impression that the tires being discussed were the E78-14LT size. I also posted a link that listed P185/75D14 as an available size. If I was mistaken then I apologize. I do thank you for starting this thread because I really would like to find a set of tires that includes a spare to use on my 14 inch rims.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
I started this thread because so many people seem to have trouble finding tires with an aggressive tread, that also fit under the hood where the spare belongs.

I feel your pain. I wanted larger tires, so I bought four of the size I wanted, and a spare of the same brand and tread pattern that was as large as could fit under the hood. My spare is 195/75R14. In the photo below, notice how the hood sticks up slightly on the passenger side. 195/75R14 is the largest tire that will fit under there. A 205 might fit if it didn't have big lugs.

Quote:
Also Silver Thing, the Super Traxion tires from Specialty Tires of America have been mentioned in another thread and those too do not fit under the hood.

Happily, I think you're mistaken. According to the site, the Super Traxion is available in 185/75R14, which is 10mm narrower and, according to the tire size calculator at 1010tires.com, a little more than half an inch shorter than a 197/75R14. So it should fit. Very Happy

thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
Quote:

I do recall them being mentioned, but I was under the impression that the tires being discussed were the E78-14LT size. I also posted a link that listed P185/75D14 as an available size. If I was mistaken then I apologize. I do thank you for starting this thread because I really would like to find a set of tires that includes a spare to use on my 14 inch rims.

I stand corrected, and not only do I apologize but will go one step further and say "You sir, are a genius" I searched over that website before and never came across the ones you linked to(and am ashamed to admit I didn't even click on your link in the above post before dismissing your idea). I always skipped over the passenger tire link thinking no way can a passenger tire have a tread I want for my Thing but after seeing their idea of passenger tires I might need to research the entire internet for Thing tires again.

I will definitely check into getting some of the ones you linked to as I've already contacted Specialty Tires and they sent me some dealers in my area that can order me some tires.

Again, I apologize and thank you that you have pointed me/us in the right direction. Thank You, thank you, thank you. And btw, if you are looking for some aggressive tread, 14", fit under a Thing hood, and don't have rubbing issues tires; then I do believe you have found the very best option out there and don't need to look any farther.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
SilverThing wrote:
Quote:

I stand corrected, and not only do I apologize but will go one step further and say "You sir, are a genius" I searched over that website before and never came across the ones you linked to(and am ashamed to admit I didn't even click on your link in the above post before dismissing your idea). I always skipped over the passenger tire link thinking no way can a passenger tire have a tread I want for my Thing but after seeing their idea of passenger tires I might need to research the entire internet for Thing tires again.

I will definitely check into getting some of the ones you linked to as I've already contacted Specialty Tires and they sent me some dealers in my area that can order me some tires.

Again, I apologize and thank you that you have pointed me/us in the right direction. Thank You, thank you, thank you. And btw, if you are looking for some aggressive tread, 14", fit under a Thing hood, and don't have rubbing issues tires; then I do believe you have found the very best option out there and don't need to look any farther.

Please post pics when you get these tires on your Thing. They look like a great replacement tire that even looks similar to the stock tire.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling me a genius is going a bit far. I just happened to accidentally stumble across the passenger tire section trying to find my way back to the light truck section. If I had been "smart" I would have been using the back button instead of navigating through all the links on their site and would have missed the page entirely. I had similar assumptions regarding passenger tire treads and am thus surprised that I even found it.

If you end up getting a set I would be very interested to hear your opinions of them. I still have a few projects that take precedence over new tires (such as reconditioning the rims that they would go on) so I it may be some time before I get a chance to try them for myself.
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:

SD Walter, what size did you get? There's not a 14 inch size that approximates 185R14.

I have 185R14 tires. I ordered them last fall from Tires Plus. I will take a picture of the tires on my car tomorrow and post the photos. I like the look of these tires much better than the touring tires that I could find in the proper size.

I took a quick look at the Nokian site and it does not look like they still offer the tire in the 185R14 size. Like I said, I bought them last fall, so you might still be able to find them at some tire shops.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or do the 185D14 Super Traxions look like the tires on this Technische Hilfswerk (THW) 181 to anybody else?

Photo linked from Doc 181's fine blog site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: