Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original tires reproduced for Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a set of reproduced original design and size tires for your Thing?
In a heartbeat even if I didn't need new tires
34%
 34%  [ 26 ]
Yes I need some right now
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Definitely next time I need a set
23%
 23%  [ 18 ]
I'm cheap only if they're under $50 each
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
I like to just put car tires on my Thing
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great board.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amishman wrote:

Please post pics when you get these tires on your Thing. They look like a great replacement tire that even looks similar to the stock tire.

tj

You might be waiting awhile for me. While I probably will buy a set before they get discontinued, I have no need to put them on my car right away. I have very few miles on the ones I bought 6 yrs ago and would like to get my other set of wheels redone before mounting these tires. However, my son is interested in buying his own Thing and if he does I will give him the ones on mine right now and get these mounted up and then I can take some pics.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
amishman wrote:

Please post pics when you get these tires on your Thing. They look like a great replacement tire that even looks similar to the stock tire.

tj

You might be waiting awhile for me. While I probably will buy a set before they get discontinued, I have no need to put them on my car right away. I have very few miles on the ones I bought 6 yrs ago and would like to get my other set of wheels redone before mounting these tires. However, my son is interested in buying his own Thing and if he does I will give him the ones on mine right now and get these mounted up and then I can take some pics.

NO, you need to buy them now. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

hehehe

My tires are like new also. Maybe 100 miles if that on them since getting them new 3 years ago. Now that I am starting to drive the Thing in summer, maybe I can use my old tires for future studs for snow up here and get me some new ones for everyday. Or maybe I should spend my money on my buses. hehehe

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the spare in my '74. I always thought it was original, and I hope I never have a flat that I have to use it for. It looks like it's never been used. I'd love to have a set of 4. I never heard of Euzkadi before this post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Meet the Jetzons! Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the spare that came with my THING, it's old and pretty much worn down to the wear bars.
I somehow remember this being a popular tire back in the 80's, on Vw's.
anyway, anyone ever seen this type before?
Tire sidewall says made in brazil.
They probably were a "stock" aftermarket replacement.

1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos of old spares remind me of "A Christmas Story," where the kid describes his father's spare tires: "They were round and had once been made of rubber."

Mine's no better -- I have new rims and tires on my car, but a fossilized antique in my trunk, which would probably be dangerous to use if I had a flat. I'll have to take a look and see if it's an interesting specimen...
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add this about the STA SuperTraxion tires since I have been looking at them again.

Comparing the two on the website the E78X14 is load range D, has deeper tread, is almost an inch wider and over an inch taller so as klokard mentioned do not fit under the hood, and weighs 28 pounds. While the P185/75D14 is load range B, still has the same look but not as deep tread, is narrower and shorter so it will fit where the spare goes and shouldn't have any rubbing issues, and weighs only 18 pounds so the shipping may be cheaper and it will be easier to handle.

Also on a side note, the swing out tire carrier has a reputation for cracking the sheetmetal, perhaps this is because most oversize/replacement tires people are using are way too heavy for what it was engineered for.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
Just thought I would add this about the STA SuperTraxion tires since I have been looking at them again. Comparing the two on the website the E78X14 is load range D, has deeper tread, is almost an inch wider and over an inch taller so as klokard mentioned do not fit under the hood.

I have a smaller spare. I don't see it as an issue. I also have one of these, so in most circumstances I won't have to ride on the spare for long:

Safety Seal Puncture Repair Kit
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
Just thought I would add this about the STA SuperTraxion tires since I have been looking at them again.

Comparing the two on the website the E78X14 is load range D, has deeper tread, is almost an inch wider and over an inch taller so as klokard mentioned do not fit under the hood, and weighs 28 pounds. While the P185/75D14 is load range B, still has the same look but not as deep tread, is narrower and shorter so it will fit where the spare goes and shouldn't have any rubbing issues, and weighs only 18 pounds so the shipping may be cheaper and it will be easier to handle.

Also on a side note, the swing out tire carrier has a reputation for cracking the sheetmetal, perhaps this is because most oversize/replacement tires people are using are way too heavy for what it was engineered for.

I see what your saying about the tires being close to the same, but 10lbs difference in weight is big difference. I would think the smaller tire is not big enough? Any thoughts.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was saying is that while close the bigger ones are just that, bigger and therefore there are still problems with using them. As far as the smaller ones being too small, that is pretty much the size they were originally so no they are just right, the other ones are too big. This only applies if you are looking for a stock size tire, if you don't buy these I eventually will and will take pictures of them so everyone can see them on a Thing and see if they like them.

I vote get the smaller ones Very Happy

If you can't tell I've been obsessed with Thing tires for 7 years and these are the most promising ones I have come across.
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I will order the larger ones for rolling (I like the look), and a postal size for a spare. This way they will all look the same and only be 1inch ride hight difference if I get a flat. I just hope that it will fit under the hood.
I'm going to place my order Monday morning with universal vintage tire

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25342&category_id=343
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise sent me a PM letting me know the STA SuperTraxion P185/75D14 has been discontinued Sad

Will this ever end Mad

I'm going to call around and see if anyone has these in stock as they told me one guy usually keeps some of the tires in stock.
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the four tires in the driveway today. Can't wait to get them on my rims. I'll get a shot of the tires. They are sick! Twisted Evil
If you find any postal size I need one for a spare.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
caseydenise sent me a PM letting me know the STA SuperTraxion P185/75D14 has been discontinued

I'm really bummed now. Back to the search for tires again...
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise wrote:
Just got the four tires in the driveway today. Can't wait to get them on my rims. I'll get a shot of the tires. They are sick! Twisted Evil
If you find any postal size I need one for a spare.

Caseydenise, have you mounted the tires on the Thing yet? I remember at the Spring fling you were still trying to get the car on the road. Post some pics when you get a chance. I'm interested in getting these tires but in the 15" size. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get the tires mounted. I really like these tires. They are big and loud, real aggressive looking. Non-VW people ask me if it's a 4X4. the speedo is 5mph off because of the difference from 185 to 205. No rubbing. I would say they slow the thing down a tad on take off. I love them regardless. I just did a 160 miles round trip with the car and it was fine. I would still like to find old new stock of the postal size for a spare. I got them for just under $500 shipped from PA to NJ.

my rides

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vredestein still makes a couple of passenger-car 185R14s... nothing sexy or offroad-y, but they're out there. In fact, I have three lightly-used ones that I might get rid of. Wink

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise wrote:
I did get the tires mounted. I really like these tires. They are big and loud, real aggressive looking. Non-VW people ask me if it's a 4X4. the speedo is 5mph off because of the difference from 185 to 205. No rubbing. I would say they slow the thing down a tad on take off. I love them regardless. I just did a 160 miles round trip with the car and it was fine. I would still like to find old new stock of the postal size for a spare. I got them for just under $500 shipped from PA to NJ.

Damn, those are badass!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Original tires reproduced for Thing Reply with quote

Hello.

Now I'm finishing the restoration of my 1978 ex-NATO thing, I'm looking for a set of 4 original look tires...

The spare one is a Dunlop 185 SR14... with a NATO reference 2610 - 12 - 155 - 9009. Searching the net and nothing... Any ideas?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Original tires reproduced for Thing Reply with quote

HUGO bOSS wrote:
Hello.

Now I'm finishing the restoration of my 1978 ex-NATO thing, I'm looking for a set of 4 original look tires...

The spare one is a Dunlop 185 SR14... with a NATO reference 2610 - 12 - 155 - 9009. Searching the net and nothing... Any ideas?

If it's the size you are looking for, in addition to searching for 185SR14, you may want to search for 185/80rR4 and 185/82R14.

Maybe look at the Bridgestone Blizzak w800. They are for the north and east European market, but they are the right size and they have the look. You'd have to ship them across the world.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: