Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
A guy walked up to our high top syncro and after the usual "I didn't know VW made these/ did you put on the top yourself?" Which I admit aren't really stupid questions since VW N America never imported the hightops but do require a rather long winded explanation on my part.

He then asks what Westys sell for. I said "Depends, but figure 15 to 25 for a nice one". Then the stupid, or at least naive follow up "Hundred?" Yeah right.

Wow, this is too crazy!
I had a nearly identical conversation with a lady at a gas station here in Santa Barbara about a week ago !
She asked if I put the high top on myself, said that it looked like a fun vehicle, asked how much they sell for and I said "Oh, 15...20...maybe 25"
She says" Would you sell this for 2500? Really? "
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

I had a random stranger and obvious VW expert trying to convince me my van was air cooled. I finally told him, "well, I guess that was a waste of my time time and money when I personally replaced the radiator."
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

I had a kind person interrupt me at the gas pump 2 weekends ago...

Her: "Excuse me, but where could I get one of those?"
Me: Umm... well, first by teleporting back into the '70's... "Well... they're not made anymore, so they're a bit difficult to find."
Her: "Oh really, they're not made any more, eh?" (Ours is a 1977 Westy!?)
Me: "Yes... the last available new in Canada was about '93 or '95."
Her: "Well, it looks very practical! Are you worried about safety up front?"
Me: "Well, there really is no crumple zone, so you have to drive accordingly..."

Funny thing was that her Buick was larger than our bus!
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Guy says "I like your van"
I say "me too"
He says "I'm looking at buying one for 2500 dollars"
I say "do you know anything about fixing cars?"
He says "no"
I say "good luck with your purchase"
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

A very elderly lady walked up to my German fire department Syncro while I was ready to leave. She saw the Ziegler decal on the back end of my van and had to ask me (thick German accent) if I was related to the Ziegler family who ran a German/Euro grocery store in Renton (WA). I explained that the van was imported and Ziegler was the company that converted the van to fire department use. She asked me again if I was related to the Ziegler family and I said no. She then said "oh, you are not related? ok, thank you" and she walked off back to her car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

"Is it for sale?"

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
When I travel I don't get many questions but once you approach the Rockies people will say hi, look at my plate and almost without fail exclaim "JERSEY!!! You drove that from JERSEY??!!!???”

As if I Ventured in from a forbidden foreign land.... They never say the "New".... Just Jersey...... Rolling Eyes

Dave

This story reminded me that the year after 9/11, we drove down to pay respects and also took in a Yankee game at old Yankee Stadium.

As we were leaving and getting into the van some guy says "Wow, you drove that all the way from Canada" ?

... No, we just had it towed here to see the game ....
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Took my Doka Syncro to a small local VW show over the weekend. One gal, walking by, looks at it and asks her friend "What's a Jeep doing at a VW show?"

Somehow, I'm doubting the gal knew anything about a Forward Control Jeep - the only one that bears the slightest resemblance...

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:
The Question I always get from hippie dudes is: "Can you actual sleep in that?"

My response...

"Yep...however, the manual says it only sleeps one guy and three girls...later dude."

Also, one time I parked by a dumpster in San Fransisco and a homeless guy popped his head out of it and said "nice Westy." To my amazement the homeless guy who smelled like sh*t and and was missing all his teeth starting talking about buses and all the Westy's he owned in the past. He knew all about the engines, repairing the head gaskets, locating the ECU electrical problems, dealing with the temp 2 sensors, fixing tears in the tent, and many types of other issues. I ended up having a half hour conversation with this dumpster guy and it was pretty productive to say the least.

I now know where I will end up if the whole law school thing doesn't work out: In a dumpster reminiscing about the gold days when I owned a Westy.

Old thread alert. I didn't have the heart to tell this poster the dumpster guy was a VW lawyer...
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Last year in rural Maine, the checkout girl at a gas station seemed rather alarmed when I went inside to pay.

“I don’t think they made any VW vans that use diesel,” she said. “Are you sure it runs on diesel!?”

“All day,” I replied, “from coast to coast ...”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

"That rig self-contained?"

I drive a tin top.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

"wanna race?"
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Young service advisor at a VW dealer: "What's a Vanagon?"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing someone asked you about your van Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Guy says "I like your van"
I say "me too"
He says "I'm looking at buying one for 2500 dollars"
I say "do you know anything about fixing cars?"
He says "no"
I say "good luck with your purchase"

Isn't there a video of this on line??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

KAM.......#facepalm....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: