Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring seat belts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
crumpleface
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Restoring seat belts Reply with quote

Hi all! I was wondering if anybody has any tips for washing and loosening up stock '71 seat belts? My 3-point seat belts in the front are a BEAR to adjust - it takes about 15 minutes to size them for passengers. They're really stiff, but I'd like to keep the stock ones!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash in hot, soapy water. Don't overdo the soap! Rinse very well in hot water. Hang dry, don't put in the dryer. You may need to repeat one more time.

The first few pictures here are my TIII seatbelts getting cleaned VW Logo
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=31
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soap and water are the best bet as mentioned above.

It is also helpful to take off the plastic caps on both the male and female ends of the belts. This way you can inspect and clean inside there as well.

I washed the white rubber thumb releases while I was cleaning my belts with some whitewall tire cleaner. I sprayed the metal parts with WD-40 and then wiped them clean so none would get on the belt straps. I also put a small amount of white lithium grease on the receiver pin mechanism.

Even with all this care and attention the belts can be difficult to adjust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you'd like to keep your original belts, but I'd consider replacing them. The webbing is almost 40 years old, I wouldn't want to find out how well they hold up in a collision. I think it's recommended that belts be changed every 10 years or so anyways, even sooner for race cars. They don't last forever.

And plus it's a great opportunity to upgrade to retractables. The original belts suck, no question about it. GoWesty sells some that are supposed to be really nice, and bolt right in. They're pricey ($140 each!) but I'm seriously considering picking up a pair for my bus when they're back in stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baumer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to second the motion for retractable belts. Jetta belts work the best if you want to stay vw and can be picked up fairly cheap. They may be older that 10 years, but I just feel safer with my retractable belts.

Aaron &
Vicki - 78 Riviera
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostorbit wrote:
I know you said you'd like to keep your original belts, but I'd consider replacing them. The webbing is almost 40 years old, I wouldn't want to find out how well they hold up in a collision. I think it's recommended that belts be changed every 10 years or so anyways, even sooner for race cars. They don't last forever.

And plus it's a great opportunity to upgrade to retractables. The original belts suck, no question about it. GoWesty sells some that are supposed to be really nice, and bolt right in. They're pricey ($140 each!) but I'm seriously considering picking up a pair for my bus when they're back in stock.

Try Chris at Busted Bus. He can get them a bit cheaper--same belts.

Second/Third/Fourth not using 40 year old belts. The material and stitching decays over time. Don't go cheap. I think there are "restoration" companies out there that will replace and re-stitch the webbing using your old hardware if you're really going for that concourse restoration look, although I would imagine it'd be a while before a bay bus takes first at Pebble Beach.

Last edited by Bart Dunn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my question but would something like this set work well in a 1972 bay window bus?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-POINT-RETRACTABLE...ccessories

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baumer99 wrote:
Jetta belts work the best if you want to stay vw and can be picked up fairly cheap.

Heres some info on the Jetta upgrade:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=329626&highlight=seatbelts

I'd really like to do what 1975 Kombi did to his (Open link, scroll down, then scroll down in his link)
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostorbit wrote:

I completely agree! I got the GoWesty belts a few years ago. They are a little expensive, but believe me after working a few years as a volunteer EMT, I know first hand that you never want to skimp on seat belts.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love our 3 point belts we got from GoWesty. But if you want ot restore try these folks. Excellent at what they do. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/
79 Surf Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pardon my question but would something like this set work well in a 1972 bay window bus?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-POINT-RETRACTABLE...ccessories

Those seem to look like they work anyone bought these? Wonder if they will work for a 79?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we bought the belts on eBay for $29 each and I installed them this evening. You can tell that the quality isn't there but there is a great improvement over the original belts. I'm not going to say that everyone should run out and buy these but if you could get something a bit better quality they sure are nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spydermann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found these in a golf at a junkyard, think they'll work?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spydermann wrote:
i found these in a golf at a junkyard, think they'll work?

I think the important thing is that the female end be on a rigid piece that bolts between the two front seats and that the actual belt length be long enough to reach. The belts I installed were barely long enough.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they will be a great fit.
spydermann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear! would it be wise to just swap the female ends too?
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my old seat belts, 3 point, and soak them in dish washing detergent just like my upholstery and let them soak for about a day. I rinsed them off out side with a water hose and after the soap was gone, I soaked them in Downey Fabric Softener for about 2 days as this belt has a weave that is tight. After that I took them outside and rinse them off with the water hose and let them lay on the concrete that helped with the drying. They work really well.
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baumer99 wrote:
I would just like to second the motion for retractable belts. Jetta belts work the best if you want to stay vw and can be picked up fairly cheap. They may be older that 10 years, but I just feel safer with my retractable belts.

I got mine from Jbugs and love em. I would not go back to non retractable!!

plus they work smoooooth
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When buying retractables, How long does it need to be? Especially for a late bay that mounts the retractor down low on the seat pedestal?

Like this one says 300cm. Im taking up some space when driving so is there a length that the og ones are set at max?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3-point-seat-bel...5d4076a7db

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
When buying retractables, How long does it need to be? Especially for a late bay that mounts the retractor down low on the seat pedestal?

Like this one says 300cm. Im taking up some space when driving so is there a length that the og ones are set at max?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3-point-seat-bel...5d4076a7db

Mine is mounted low on the floor. Dont know how long, but I think they are standard, jbugs would know this. They are plenty long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: