Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how long does fix-a-flat last?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: how long does fix-a-flat last? Reply with quote

ok i have this pinhole in my tire. weird story- picked up what looked like a chrome plated wire at the scrap yard- the straight part of a spring i think. but that was a year ago, and i left the wire in there figuring it would go flat otherwise. also figured it would not contact the road being that it was half inch up the sidewall. anyway, it worked... the tire didnt leak air at all for over a year- in service! finally, the ice pulled the spring out 2 days ago and the tire went flat. so the question is: how long will the fix-a-flat last?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does fix a flat not work, it makes a hell of a mess for the poor bastard that has to take that tire off the rim next time. You have a hole in the widewall of the tire. That tire unfortunately is garbage and is not safe to be driven down the road.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have steel wheels until it rusts them out. As to whether it will stop the leak 50/50, sidewalls really take a lot of flex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw fix a flat you can get a proper plug and patch kit for like $5 more
they last forever if applied right, i have 45 k on one of my jeeps tires 4x4ing and everything, these used to be considered the proper patch for the longest time, or to go one step further why in the hell don't you have a spare tire and a jack?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they last forever if applied right

Not for the sidewall unfortunately.
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix a flat is a bitch to clean up does damage to your wheels, doesn't fix the problem should i continue????

i'd rather park my car and walk than dare put fix a flat in it

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Fix A Flat sucks. Use Slime instead!

(Just KIDDING!!! SHeesh!)
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sidewall damage you need to replace the tire. There is no correct way to repair it. It is unsafe.

That being said, Fix a Flat does work in a pinch on small leaks. It's not the right way to do and there are problems with it but it will seal a small leak and partially inflate the tire.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
71_georgia_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been curious about "run flat" tires. Commercial claims that you can run up to 30 miles on a flat. Is that before or after you figure out you have a flat. So you pick up a nail that you don't know about and you can run an additional 30 miles. Could be 30 miles closer to help or could be 30 miles further away if you don't know you had a flat.

........no weed was involved in the making of this question
www.burelphotography.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run flat tires work by having a special thicker and reinforced sidewall, keeping a little of the shape of the tire even when completely devoid of air. Extra-reinforced sidewalls for a bus tire sound like a good idea just by itself!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokian Hakkas. I checked my tire pressures on Sunday and found one was down to like 15psi. Instead of the 40-ish it should be.

I hadn't noticed a difference visually or in driving. Shocked
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a screw in the hole.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt actually use fix a flat yet, and from all the bad reviews here and elsewhere, i will not use it even in an emergency. my local guy says he wont even use plugs, but thinks that a patch from the inside is a safe bet due to the size of the hole and location.

according to the info i got, the belts that maintain tread integrity extend 1 1/4" up the sidewall making patches safe up to that point only. unlike patches, plugs have been proven not to work within that inch and a quarter.

i figure this- if it was incredibly unsafe to drive a tire with a pinhole in this area, why didnt it blowout over the last year? certainly doesnt seem to cause a structural problem at the edge of the tread.
Volksfolk74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stuff yer tire with dried leaves...its the green alternative
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix a flat is a great temporary fix if you don't have access to an air compressor but the availability of plugs on the market along with a way to air the tire up practically makes fix a flat obsolete. But if the hole is on the sidewall you will need a new tire, no way around that.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
Paslode235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a tire store for 4 years and know a lot about repairing tires since I did repair thousands of tires. Fix a Flat is Bad bad bad!! It rusts your wheels from the inside out and makes it a real mess when you have to change them. The older it gets the worse the smell, and most likely when someone goes to take the tire off they end up getting a bath in it.

Repairing in a side wall of a tire is a heated topic. Also is the topic of patch verses plugs. However what we did is this. First of all we never NEVER used rope plugs. All those did was leak. We used an all rubber plug with a vulcanizing compound. This would fuse the plug and the tire together, making a repair that is superior to a patch. We still used patches they have their place but all rubber plugs are the best.

When fixing a side wall you never want to use a patch. The reason is because the side wall is always flexing and the patch will eventually work its way off. I have fixed many side walls that were patched by competitors just days before and the patch was just laying inside the tire. What you want to do is plug the side wall with an all rubber plug. This will work if the hole is small but once you get to a hole the size of a 8 penny nail it is best to replace the tire. I have fixed my own side walls and drove 50,000 more miles on them with out a problem.

That is the proper way I have learned to fix a side wall.

Steve

Mint Green 1965 Beetle - "Misty"
White 1974 Westy - "The Fig Rig"
Yellow 1972 Super Beetle - "Jasper" RIP
Black 2001 Jetta wagon - "Gadget"
Red 2004 Jetta TDI - "Lucy"
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed my own side walls and drove 50,000 more miles on them with out a problem.

That is the proper way I have learned to fix a side wall.

Thats cool if your rolling by yourself but you never want to do this if you have loved ones in your vehicle.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a tube in it! They do make radial tire tubes.
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the tube. Cool
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
Put a tube in it! They do make radial tire tubes.

yes i wanted to do that, but couldnt find the right size. perhaps i should tell the shop not to patch that tire. they claim success, but i would rather just tube it. most shops will tell you that tubes cn work their way thru the hole in the sidewall, but this hole is sooooo small- like a sewing needle. anyone know a good source for tubes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: