Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hello guys Im trying to start a thread discusing the 57 and earlier verts.
Anything really from problems restoring fixing to original paint colors. I would like to see pics of your rides and your accessorys and what your working on .Like wright now im trying to figure out if the moulding below the rear window is supposed to be a two peice or a one for my 54. I cant get a straight answer from anyone I just saw a pic of a 56 and it had a two peice. I ordered the front header trim from chucks anybody else? come on guys !. Does anybody know any cool web sites dedicated to early verts? Does anyone know where to get the interior football light aftermarket I know theirs one out their Ive seen it! Ive got one but my buddy bills 57 is needing one?. Somebody was telling me that bfy or vintage parts is going to repro the flip mirror that would be cool as long as its a good repro those things are untouchabe today. I just want this thread to be helpful to anybody working on a pre 57 vert. Im working on mine and any info would be cool I just wanna talk vert!!!!
Very Happy

================================================
The Registry stats can usually be found near the end of the thread
================================================

Thread Organization by EMPIFLAKE & NOT SAFARI IZZY
Official Oval Convertibles thread : INDEX

Glass Logo size differences:
4, 52, 78

Hinge pins / covers:
44, 52, 66

Vin # Convertible body #:
46, 47, 55, 58

Vert front and rear seat/ luggage rail pics:
10, 11, 17, 28, 29, 35, 45, 56, 57, 95

headliner:
56, 97, 98, 99

top boot:

vert standards:

vert door and scraper rubber:
14, 17, 98, 99

rear window info/pic's:
20, 58, 88

vert colors:
10, 11, 3, 15, 19, 29, 30, 37, 39, 40, 46, 48, 49, 58, 96

vert birth cert:
5; 39, 58, 96,

windshield pics + demensions:
58, 59

vert top hooks pics:
59, 28, 60

vert top frame:
6, 20, 22, 24, 60, 61

vert body/ panels:
19, 32, 37, 60, 61, 67, 71, 74, 75, 83, 87, 92

top trim/ top canvas:
1, 2, 42, 49; 61, 72

vert bambus:
6, 7; 61, 62

okrasa – distributer info and vert decklid:
9, 43, 44, 63, 84

rear quarter window removal:

dome light:
64 (switch pic) , 65 (wiring diagram), 97

rear quarter pics:
65, 74, 75, 77, 78, 79

decklid rain catchers:

vert semi's:
23, 67

vert wiring harness:
18, 27, 31, 32, 71 (wiringwerks info)

tonneau cover:
78, 79

vert tank color:
26, 27, 42 80, 94

headlights:

factory clock (option):

trunk liners/golve box/ lock:
33, 34, 38, 39, 45, 94

vert frames:
13, 35, 34, 38, 95

vert options:
42, 85, 86, 87

wood installed and leaded over before paint:
24, 88

vert visors:
12, 35, 88, 89, 90, 91

Rail supports
8, 9

Interior / carpet / battery
4, 7, 15, 16, 23, 25

Rear view mirror

Grab handle

Correct for year discussion

Tail light placement

Stainless hardware
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one for you...taking out the windows in the doors is a pain in the ass. (Just did it today!)
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I know!!!

I just did that not all that long ago and it wasent fun ! I had my frame rechromed and now its put back together time. Never cought the guys name but he was telling me to use chucks seals between the glass and the frames he said the fit was much better than any other crap on the market. Did you have any issues with getting the vent frame off because of that square nut in its own chamber? Or getting the quarter windows out through the quarter panel hole? The fun is just about to begin my friend verts you gotta lovem.
Rolling Eyes
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that nut just spun...good thing I have a big grinder..lol

I haven't done the rear ones yet....sounds like something to look forward too. Yippee!
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you gonna have your frames rechromed have fun getting the glass out of the frames. Are you doing a full restoration or what? Is gonna be stock or what you know wheels accessorys give clues bro! Razz
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk pre-57 Vert thread Reply with quote

empiflake1 wrote:
Like wright now im trying to figure out if the moulding below the rear window is supposed to be a two peice or a one for my 54. I cant get a straight answer from anyone I just saw a pic of a 56 and it had a two peice.

Well I don't think that debate has been settled, but I think that the rear trim below the window being 1 piece seems to leading in voting Smile They discuss it in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243337&highlight=trim

I saw a picture of a later oval vert very very early in its life in the vintage photos thread and it makes me think that 1 piece is correct (peep the second pic):
///Mink wrote:
These were given to me by a co-worker. It's a family friend picking up a brand new '56 cabrio at the factory. Sorry it's Oval-era.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

empiflake1 wrote:
I ordered the front header trim from chucks anybody else?

I bought the complete 3 piece convertible trim set from Chuck, I'm still waiting on it, however the rear trim under the window is going to be 2 piece, so???

empiflake1 wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the interior football light aftermarket I know theirs one out their Ive seen it!

I got a couple for sale Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=603904

empiflake1 wrote:
Somebody was telling me that bfy or vintage parts is going to repro the flip mirror that would be cool as long as its a good repro those things are untouchabe today.

The only thing I heard about those being repro'ed was from the split parts unlimited dude...but I cant find the post

empiflake1 wrote:
Dude I know!!!

I just did that not all that long ago and it wasent fun ! I had my frame rechromed and now its put back together time. Never cought the guys name but he was telling me to use chucks seals between the glass and the frames he said the fit was much better than any other crap on the market.

The seals from the glass to the frame for the front windups and the rear windups should come from Chuck or mid-america (same ones) they are preformed to the contour of the window frames. I still had a problem with the door windows as my re-chroming produced less room for the correct rubber seal to fit. I had to use other seals (thinner) that I had and cut them to fix on the door windows.

empiflake1 wrote:
Did you have any issues with getting the vent frame off because of that square nut in its own chamber? Or getting the quarter windows out through the quarter panel hole?
Rolling Eyes

I had a problem with the the vent frame screw into the square nut (screw snapped) and had to drill it out. Getting the quarter windows through the rear quarter panel hole was not a problem, although I'm sure there's less chance of scratching anything with 2 people, but I didn't have that luxury Smile

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 56' vert (Nov. 55)...It was a barn find in Modesto CA.

As far as accessories, I got a few Smile

I've recently done the the interior, window frames (still need a little tweaking), and power coated the engine tin.

up next is a new wiring harness, engine/tranny rebuild, and a detailed set of earlies

I still have a ton of work after that...new wood and top, paint under the hood, new support rails, swap in the correct rear apron and paint it. A definite work in progress that I enjoy. I just had a kid so that leaves me with A LOT less time, but I hope to have it presentable for Kelley Park again this year.

Hey empiflake and Yustrn what's the history on your verts and future plans?

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any history on my car...my buddy got it in a trade, knew I wanted one forever, so I got the phone call (Yes, he's a good friend). I know someone who should know the history of it so I'll get it. Most of the car the car seems to be in OG paint, in Bambus which seems to be a rare color and just in the last few months of 57 so it's a real late convertible....There is some rust here an there nothing major, and even though most of it is OG paint it IS getting repainted in the next few months....hate me whatever. Cool
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 56 Vert I got from Skim a few years back that my son wants to do when he is older.

The 55 I built for a good friend of mine.

Folks the least of your problems are the window frames, That's nothing compared to making everything fit as a whole. Not trying to make it sound like it cannot be done, Its just a bitch depending how far you want to go with it.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda got lucky with my car I went to a friends house in lake placid fl to buy a 64 sunroof!. When I got their I spotted a 56 vert in the back of his warehouse went to check it out but it was kinda gone rust wize I mean I was gonna get it until I relized that under the cover next to it was the 54. The 54 was just in alot better shape complete wood bows in nice condition and had its back window. Broken flip mirror semas which ended up being wrong! Which never relized they where different till I got the car home. The car I found out latter came from germany latter in life which explaines the butchered holes in the front fenders for latter indicators and drilled holes in aprons for overiders. I guess I need a birth certificate to know the truth but the thing thats really funny about this car is when I went to get the frames chromed the guy told me the ones for the front doors not the vents where chromed aluminum and I cant tell their og to the car!! So who knows about that!!!
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/520185.jpg
Rolling Eyes [/img]
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a question about the rear apron. I have a July 9 '55 vert and the previous owner put an after market rear apron with two cut outs for the muffler tips. I ask here in the samba what would be correct for it since is damn to close to the '56 model. I got both answers, half of you told me it should have the two cut outs and the other half said that it should be solid. Well I contact the PO and ask him if he remembered what he had and he did better than that. He send me a picture and send the rear apron that he removed. Here is a picture he send to me. Somebody bend the metal to make room for the two tip muffler. I will take pictures of the rear apron as soon as I get home tonight.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Izzy

I think and im not sure yet on paint I was thinking of doing the sides in a off white color and roling the car that way for awhile. But some friends of mine say that while its apart I sould paint the car??. I dont know but as far the way Im gonna do it up is airkeweld disc all around porche pattern for my 4 n halfs and deep sixes black and polished. I have two 36 hp to choose from one came with a 26 pic carb which I might run for cool factor I have all the parts to make appear a 25 hp like oil fiiler strap type , big nut and pulleys set up strap type 54 air cleaner you know. Im still little unclear on weather or not a 54 is a 36 or a 30 or 25 yet so?. 4 n half in narrow beam interior wize I have a vdo clock grill set up, empi map light, german door pulls, big m motorola radio. dds deano saftey shifter,empi glove box pull, ra bambus parcel shelf , I have a kochs restored batwing I think im gonna run that wheel I just like the batwing. Still not sure if its gonna look good inthe dash but I have a 3 n 1 motometer gauge I woul like to run but other samba memberes are giving me mixed emotions on it so. I also have a set of og alberts non hooded thow I like your hooded versions Izzy they look well I dont need to say anymore. I also have a set of og foxcrafts not sure about those either I kinda like looking at those deep sixes Very Happy . But wright now I finally got everything parts wise like semas, mirror. you know all the hard goodies that make these cars all good!!!! Wink
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frk
you apron is definately not suppost to have the cutouts but I think you just figured that out!! Wink

If the top aint down you aint driven!!!!!!!!!
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:

I don't know any history on my car...my buddy got it in a trade, knew I wanted one forever, so I got the phone call (Yes, he's a good friend). I know someone who should know the history of it so I'll get it. Most of the car the car seems to be in OG paint, in Bambus which seems to be a rare color and just in the last few months of 57 so it's a real late convertible....There is some rust here an there nothing major, and even though most of it is OG paint it IS getting repainted in the next few months....hate me whatever. Cool

Sweet score, that color is sick!

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

empiflake1 wrote:
Frk
you apron is definately not suppost to have the cutouts but I think you just figured that out!! Wink

I think a july 55 car is supposed to have the cut outs, right?...it was a may or june change??

maybe the apron in the picture isnt even the og apron? looks like the car got painted at least a couple times (brown and white) and the engine is a 40 horse.

Nice ride btw Frk Cool

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 was such a bastard year just put on which ever one you like better...just check muffler prices first (if that's a concern to you) as the early ones are usually more expensive =)
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk pre-57 Vert thread Reply with quote

Not Safari Izzy wrote:
empiflake1 wrote:
Like wright now im trying to figure out if the moulding below the rear window is supposed to be a two peice or a one for my 54. I cant get a straight answer from anyone I just saw a pic of a 56 and it had a two peice.

Well I don't think that debate has been settled, but I think that the rear trim below the window being 1 piece seems to leading in voting Smile They discuss it in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243337&highlight=trim

I saw a picture of a later oval vert very very early in its life in the vintage photos thread and it makes me think that 1 piece is correct (peep the second pic):
///Mink wrote:
These were given to me by a co-worker. It's a family friend picking up a brand new '56 cabrio at the factory. Sorry it's Oval-era.

empiflake1 wrote:
I ordered the front header trim from chucks anybody else?

I bought the complete 3 piece convertible trim set from Chuck, I'm still waiting on it, however the rear trim under the window is going to be 2 piece, so???

empiflake1 wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the interior football light aftermarket I know theirs one out their Ive seen it!

I got a couple for sale Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=603904

empiflake1 wrote:
Somebody was telling me that bfy or vintage parts is going to repro the flip mirror that would be cool as long as its a good repro those things are untouchabe today.

The only thing I heard about those being repro'ed was from the split parts unlimited dude...but I cant find the post

empiflake1 wrote:
Dude I know!!!

I just did that not all that long ago and it wasent fun ! I had my frame rechromed and now its put back together time. Never cought the guys name but he was telling me to use chucks seals between the glass and the frames he said the fit was much better than any other crap on the market.

The seals from the glass to the frame for the front windups and the rear windups should come from Chuck or mid-america (same ones) they are preformed to the contour of the window frames. I still had a problem with the door windows as my re-chroming produced less room for the correct rubber seal to fit. I had to use other seals (thinner) that I had and cut them to fix on the door windows.

empiflake1 wrote:
Did you have any issues with getting the vent frame off because of that square nut in its own chamber? Or getting the quarter windows out through the quarter panel hole?
Rolling Eyes

I had a problem with the the vent frame screw into the square nut (screw snapped) and had to drill it out. Getting the quarter windows through the rear quarter panel hole was not a problem, although I'm sure there's less chance of scratching anything with 2 people, but I didn't have that luxury Smile

One piece is correct for all ovals. I seen quite a few pictures and it is one piece under the rear window. I got two one piece sets from Chuck and I'm still waiting as well.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss my 55. Nothing like an oval vert.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acording to chuck he casted his trim from a og 57 and the back lower peice was one solid peice. My 54 came with a two peice Im gonna use it anyway its in nice shape I just bought the header trim from chuck and Im waiting for that one! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 206

Jump to: