Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

If you restore your top with canvas, you may also invest in these trim that were original to our oval convertibles:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1559503

If you change bows you may also invested into real hard wood.
I remember back when I lived in France I went in Manneihm swap meet in Germany and there was shops who perfectly reproduced these.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

soldeli wrote:

does anyone can post a pic showing the correct place for the underdash power swith ?
Thanks.

Pic from the gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

soldeli wrote:
You are true,
I sold my LL to "La Guêpe" but he sold it again a few months later

check my galery I have plenty of picture of my car, detailed shots:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=1319334437&start=400

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=1319334437&start=500
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soldeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hi guys.

i just received the correct under dash switch and gonna try it soon.

Here is a pic of my car close to a friend's 1302 vert i just repainted

and another pic with the freshly rebuilded top hardware. Repaired, sand-blasted and expoxy painted.

I just ordered everything needed for the new top (canva top, cloth headliner, trims molding, seals , etc )

But i'm now looking for correct material for upholstery, seats and door panels. Does anyone know where i can find this : (Reddish Beige K155)

Thx.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I just discovered the same exact material under my door panels, it is almost like reptile hide.is it reproduced material ?

Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Christophe it looks to me like you might have a modified sedan rear view mirror,
Yours should look like this ( not condition ) Should be hinged to move the mirror when the top is up or down.
Pic from gallery.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soldeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
I just discovered the same exact material under my door panels, it is almost like reptile hide.is it reproduced material ?

Cheers
Thomas

I love this matérial and hope anyone knows if it's reproduced and where to find it

Lenny wrote me he can't find it.

Anyone ?

Thx, Christophe
soldeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Christophe it looks to me like you might have a modified sedan rear view mirror,
Yours should look like this ( not condition ) Should be hinged to move the mirror when the top is up or down.

You are a good observer.
You are true about the mirror it's not the right one.
The pre-owner sawned à Sedan one to fit it.

I considered finding one used but in a very nice condition was so hard so i ordered à complete set from Ricardo - Argentina. ( Mirror, two short and long sunvisor ).

Thanks.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

soldeli wrote:
aa390392 wrote:

Cheers
Thomas

I love this matérial and hope anyone knows if it's reproduced and where to find it

Anyone ?

Thx, Christophe

Your appears to be in very good shape. Mine was done over in a tan..not good, but not that bad, bearable.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
soldeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:

Your appears to be in very good shape. Mine was done over in a tan..not good, but not that bad, bearable.
Thomas

Driver seat, rear seat and 3 door panels are good and could be nice after cleaning and light restoration
But the passenger seat is riven on the top and one door panel is missing.
That's the reason why i have no choice for a new set
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Wondering about the screw in canvas and frame on finished cars? It appears above door to the forward section, it appears to be helping hold the top to frame, is it necessary? I dont like the look of it...some rag tops have them as well....
Thanks
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

soldeli wrote:
aa390392 wrote:

Cheers
Thomas

Anyone ?

Thx, Christophe

What or which is the OG piping? The matching pipe,light tan or the dark brown?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
soldeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
soldeli wrote:
aa390392 wrote:

Cheers
Thomas

Anyone ?

Thx, Christophe

What or which is the OG piping? The matching pipe,light tan or the dark brown?

in mine, og piping seems to be :
light Tan on seats
Brown on door panels

As it's impossible to find this material, i decided to work with a tannery to try make new one.
We are know able to mark the leather with the same pattern;
Next step is to set the right color.

After all, it will be possible to work with my upholstery man and get new upholstery as it was in 56'.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Yesterday, took 6 peices to Chrome shop here in So.Cal. Shocked in for shock at cost! The 6 peices were front and rear window frames, plus 2 wing windows. So many fed.& state regs. Are driving prices rediculously ...... but it needed to be done.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Alright Tom, get on it! We need photos!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Before chrome 61 years of wear and element tear.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Great Tom!

Yep, I'll be doing the same too someday soon (hoping that it'll be a little cheaper process here in Missouri when the time comes). I have three pairs of 1956-57 doors with window frames, and I'll pick the best L & R frame set and have them done for my '57 Kabriolett. I can't wait to see how your set turns out!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Dayum Bill, I never thought of sending out of state! I do beleive that could be a choice.
As I wait for them to finish the chrome, Im rebuilding door panels, using old covering, great shape, but backing board was bowed,cracked, water damaged.
I found Identical backing board and a correct thickness foam, Im using John Henrys advise/support from his webpage.. loads of useful info, I will hopefully remember to photograph when finished..
Still waiting for suggesting on best place to buy replacement window seals rubber etc.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Good question!

Maybe we should throw this out to all Kabriolett owners out there... if you've had experience buying rubber weatherstripping and seals from vendors for your Oval Kabriolett, perhaps you can post here about your experiences. Please comment on cost, quality, correct fit and finish, service from the vendor, etc., etc. Your comments will be very helpful to those shopping for rubber and seals in the future.

For instance, I see that Chuck's Convertibles has a package price which includes basically all the rubber weather strips, seals and even some aluminum trim strips that you would need to restore the body of an Oval Kabriolett. I'm sure there are other vendors who do the same and it would be great to know who makes the very best rubber for our restorations. Please share your experiences...

Bill Bowman

p.s. I'll be shopping for a seal kit pretty soon also for my project '57 Kabriolett
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Very Happy
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 187 of 206

Jump to: