Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Yes, the gutter goes towards the outside of the car. No tubes, water drains thru drain stamping's at the bottom of the quarter panel, kinda like at the bottom of the doors. Not very effective if there is a lot of water getting trapped down there from dirt build up. Good window rubber's /scraper's are a must.
If you search quarter panel in the classifieds, on the first page there is a great pick of the weep holes in an add. I'd put a link but i don't know if that's cool to do.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I also have a question about side windows. Okay, concerning the two left and right side roll-down quarter windows for our back seat passengers. There is a horizontal metal "moisture gutter" attached to and below the window frames (below the rubber outer window scrapers) that channel any water that gets past the rubber scrapers the water rearward to a short downward curved metal tube. Does the water just drop from the end of that metal tube into the interior of the quarter panel cavity and drain out somehow from the bottom of the cavity? My '57 Kab is packed full of stuff in storage so I can't immediately see how this works. Also, is there a rubber or plastic tube that attaches to the end of that metal drain tube, and if so, where does it go thru the body or chassis pan? An explanation would be helpful, photos even better to help understand what I'll need to do about this. Thanks for any assistance!

Bill

Is this what you are asking for Bill ? 63 years of dirt right there Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

As I just disassembled, Mine both were clogged with dirt, but no damage to the body..now to reassemble...
The only problem is going to be wing, rusted screws had to be removed with other forces than screw drivers & kryoil..
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Okay, thanks "56Cabrio" for the photos above. Inspired, I got to my Kab and spotted the process for drainage on the Kab quarter panel cavity. Here is a look downward towards the bottom of the quarter panel cavity at my 60+ year old dirt down there. Dig the old wasps nest too (now removed):

So apparently the water that gets past the outer rubber window scrappers collects in the horizontal "gutter" to drain rearward to the round metal curved drain pipe which dumps the water right into the "U" shaped window guide channel directing most of the moisture downward and forward to the forward bottom region of the cavity and dumping it down there. Then the water drains outward of the cavity through three vents or exits dumping the moisture between the running board and the chassis stiffener. Sound right? Photos of this revelation below:

Kinda fun to do the detective work, thanks for the assistance! I'll be vacuuming the crap out of the entire bottom of that cavity and making sure those vents are truly clear before someday sending it off to paint...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theorangeperil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Great pictures Bill. Interesting to see what's going on down there.

That will be my next task once I have an understanding on the differences between the frames.

I guess as no one has replied we are all a bit in the dark with that?

With regards removing the frames are there any online resources showing the best approach to removing them from the car?

Here's a picture of my car at BBT on the way to Hessisch Oldendorf last year. It's an early '55 RHD, some of you may know the car.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Something i never really noticed until looking at Bill's and my pics,the undercoating on the quarter panels. The doors have the same coating. So i took my panels off my 56 Rag top and no undercoating,my 63 hardtop doesn't have the coating either. I guess Karmann applied it ?
Dave
Bill's vert

My Vert

door

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I like the little coach built things karmann does like the under coat and lower primer dip to the body.

Dipped even before the support rails go on

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I like the little coach built things karmann does like the under coat and lower primer dip to the body.

I wonder if they didn't dip the whole body cause all the body work they still had to do on them.
Pics from AlteWagen's & usariemen's gallery

1963 Hard Top

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Anyone else see this 1956 Kabriolett, up for sale I think this weekend at the Sothebys auction in FL?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM18/Amelia-Isl...ann/566196

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dukesmojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I did not see that one listed prior. cool old vert but a little out of my price range. Shocked
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Anyone else see this 1956 Kabriolett, up for sale I think this weekend at the Sothebys auction in FL?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM18/Amelia-Isl...ann/566196

Bill Bowman

That car was built over 14 years ago. Glad to see it’s still around with all the accessories intact.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I've seen that one being auctioned a few times before too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Safari Izzy wrote:
56OvalRHD wrote:
Guys,

Did 57 Oval Verts have coat hooks? Thanks for your help!

Can anyone confirm or deny if oval verts had coat hooks?

Also, I got a couple more...

Would any oval verts have luggage rails on the back seat?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111885571

How about the strap that holds the rear seat from falling forward? ...i know before I installed one on mine, it always fell forward on the freeway
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111885583

New to this thread but our 55 has the OG rear seat strap.
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: window wedge installation Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the front door vert window wedge stays on? It doesn't have any holes for clips. I thought maybe the chrome molding holds it down but it keeps coming off when I close the door.
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Use weather strip adhesive
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
the back seat on my 56 vert keeps on folding when I am driving on the highway with the top down. Since the car was rebuilt with cheap TMI material, can someone tell me if there should be a kind of lock to prenvent to back rest from folding?
There is nothing of that sort on my car now.

Thank you
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

ngobet wrote:
Hello everyone,
the back seat on my 56 vert keeps on folding when I am driving on the highway with the top down. Since the car was rebuilt with cheap TMI material, can someone tell me if there should be a kind of lock to prenvent to back rest from folding?
There is nothing of that sort on my car now.

Thank you

Try this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8415537&highlight=#8415537

1963 Hard Top

ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Try this thread

thank you very much, I don't have the hooks either. Is there one on both sides? Does anyone have a picture how the rubber straps are fixed on the rear seat?
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

ngobet wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
Try this thread

thank you very much, I don't have the hooks either. Is there one on both sides? Does anyone have a picture how the rubber straps are fixed on the rear seat?

found a pic here
graysky wrote:

From the gallery thanks to Renderit and 67 Florida Deluxe
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

on my 56.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 189 of 206

Jump to: