Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

what thickness is the plastic? looks like it could be moulded by the same method used to make model aircraft cockpit canopies...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I don't have it in hand at the moment, but as I recall the nice one that I have (I assume that when I got it a decade or two ago) is a reproduction. I think it was fairly thin gauge plastic, and that it should be fairly simple to have molded by someone who reproduces lenses and parts for VWs. I'll try to dig it out and measure it up.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Keep me posted.
Also reasonably priced sunvisors.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Here is my lens,picked it up a couple years ago.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Thats the one, did you pick up few of them? Bill and I could sure use em Cool

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

To be clear, I had the original warped-beyond-use plastic lens (which from memory seemed quite thin, but I can't even find it right now) and 10-15 years ago I bought another one when i saw it, probably at Bad Camberg or somewhere like that. I just dug out my stored interior dome light fixture stuff for my '57 Kabriolett. The original to my Kab wooden base block for the domelight had a broken off ear and a talented buddy of mine, Roy Jonas (who is now a new-to-him Oval owner too) used the original to make a new block and he fabricated a new metal base for the bulbholder (removing and re-mounting the bulbholder ends to the new plate) as my original was somewhat a mess. Da guy has skills!

Enjoy the photos...

The exposed domed side that you see when installed is smooth. It is thicker around the edges that I remembered, averaging about 2mm thick around the outer edges...

Check out the textured underside of this lens. Anyone else have this texture on their lens? I'm guessing that it might have been molded to get that texture under there.

That is a roughly 37mm long 6 volt 5 watt torpedo bulb. I'm wondering if there is a 6 volt LED buld that is 36 to 37 mm long that could be used here to reduce heat, provide a bit more light, and last forever?

If we can either locate someone out there who has new ones (NOS, new, repro) for sale, or can reproduce this relatively simple-shaped plastic lens, I would certainly buy one or two more for "just in case" reasons for the future. Sounds like Tom P. needs one, and I'll bet a bunch of other Oval Kab owners out there have weathered, cracked or missing lenses and would be happy to also stock up! How about it someone?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Bill i can get a hold of the guy i got mine from to see if he has anymore,mine doesn't have the texture on the inside though.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Sure, if your buddy still has those lenses for sale I'd buy a spare and it sounds like Tom P. needs one too. Hopefully someone out there repro's them or might do so soon.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Im all in..
Thank you.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I’ve been poking around in here for a bit figured I may as well properly introduce myself and my car , I’ve been on the Samba since about 2000 and this is my first convertible, about 5 years ago bought the former rkilbury car out of Florida and since then been picking away at it to make it more my taste

Early 1955 Congo green US delivered

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Well, for your first Kabriolett, you've done it right! Beautiful car, nice paint and upholstery too. Now drive the hell out of it. Sweet!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Thanks Bill , i first saw this car when attending Winterjam in 2010 , it definitely left an impression on me

Aside from the obvious stance and running gear adjustment , i deleted the center mount antenna, repaired some rust issues in the floor pan , removed and added several accessories , this winter I hope to replace the wiring harness
Im also piecing together a autotechnik kit for the engine
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Simply out of curiosity, what issue made you change out the center mounted antennae. Seems like a fairly rare option. I actually have a NOS one that I'm considering using on my project '57 Kabriolett so I'm interested in hearing about what you disliked about that antenna set-up. Thanks! That's a gorgeous Convert!

Bill

Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I thought it looked really cool but The 2 primary issues that lead me to undo it , the car originally had the side mount on the front quarter and had metal plugs over the holes, #2 the biggest issue was that the roof would hit the antenna when opening ( the antenna was cut / modified , you’d have to remove top section of antenna and then open roof ) and ultimately I felt the center mount is more of a split beetle detail

This photo shows how the roof would hit
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Wow! Makes perfect sense! I wondered also about top bow clearance when opening/closing the top frame. While I've thought about that issue, I've never mocked it all up to check that issue out on mine, as I bought my Kabriolett fully dis-assembled and in boxes, and so far I haven't even put the convertible top frame back onto my body to be able to try that antennae fit issue out. Your photo clearly shows the issue. Ha ha, maybe I can find some youngster with skills and a 3-D printer to make a slightly longer plastic standoff! Thank you for your comments and illuminating photo! I want a ride in your beautiful Kabriolett someday...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Wow! Makes perfect sense! I wondered also about top bow clearance when opening/closing the top frame. While I've thought about that issue, I've never mocked it all up to check that issue out on mine, as I bought my Kabriolett fully dis-assembled and in boxes, and so far I haven't even put the convertible top frame back onto my body to be able to try that antennae fit issue out. Your photo clearly shows the issue. Ha ha, maybe I can find some youngster with skills and a 3-D printer to make a slightly longer plastic standoff! Thank you for your comments and illuminating photo! I want a ride in your beautiful Kabriolett someday...

Bill Bowman

Start coming to the vintage meet again and you can take it to the show! 😁 , that is once shows are a thing again
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Very nice Kab...very nice!
I like the ride height. Very Happy

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Your photo clearly shows the issue. Ha ha, maybe I can find some youngster with skills and a 3-D printer to make a slightly longer plastic standoff!

In another thread in the split beetle section it was determined that there is a taller upper mount for convertibles , though on my car it would’ve need to be a whole inch longer, so careful consideration of the antenna position / angle needs figured before drilling
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Allrighty! Anyone know what this rubber seal goes to on an Oval Convertible or Sedan or ??? The inner diameter of the hole is about 19.5 mm.

It was in a box of parts for my project '57 Kabriolett. Don't remember seeing this goodie on my '55 Sunroof. Help if you recognize it!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mack Griffith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Looks like the rubber piece that goes behind the rear view mirror on a sedan. Not for a kab.

Mack
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 194 of 206

Jump to: