Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I have an NOS offset spoke 1956 and newer steering wheel here for use on my project Kabrio. I bought it from VW themselves over twenty years ago during a visit to the Volkswagen "Siftung Automuseum" parts department in Wolfsburg... I about took a dump right then and there when I saw it on the shelf, asked if it was truely available and immediately put it in my shopping cart (yes, they had small rolling shopping carts back then to roam the dimly lit aisles of the dusty old VW parts department!) and I purchased it for well under a hundred dollars! A great score!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see below it does not have an cancelling ring for the USA spec turn signal lever attached to the lower/underside. Those two countersunk holes do not look like they are threaded. Did Euro-specification "semaphore" steering wheels have a self- cancelling system?

My original patina'd '57 steering wheel original to the car does have the cancelling ring in place but I see no screws holding the self-cancelling ring in place onto the wheel. Could it be pressed in place or maybe glued in place? It doesn't look like there are any screws to remove or install the cancelling ring and then screw it to the NOS wheel.

If I decide to keep this convertible a USA-spec turn signal Kabrio (I have all the stuff stashed away to mount up convertible semaphores), does anyone have an idea of how to best add a cancelling ring to this NOS wheel? Thanks for any advice! For that matter, does anyone have a already removed USA Oval-era self-cancelling ring that I could buy rather than mangle one off this old wheel?

Thanks for any tips you can share!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Bill, try calling Koch. Here in So.Cal.
He does SW restoration and just might know.?
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

long time no post from me in that thread.

I am making good progress on the front end repair of my kabrio:

you can check my progress here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310869&start=280

happy NY everyone.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hello,
I am in need of a passenger side rear window guide. Please contact me if you have one for sale or know where one could be available.

Thanks,
Ron
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I looked around but couldnt find the difference in rear fenders at the bottom. I think that 58-59 have the bigger cutout but cant be sure. I also noticed that the one I think is correct rides on the rail pushing the fender out. Anyone have a picture with the correct fender on? Also does the fender ride on the rail or is the rail cut down. First picture is 58-59 I think. It fits best, can see it sitting on the corner of the rail.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Curious educated guess on amount of 56/57 Kabriolets still Reply with quote

Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet

Last edited by aa390392 on Sat May 08, 2021 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
panel67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Maybe I can find the answer elsewhere in this thread, but I haven’t read all 195 pages yet.... Smile

I’m trying to determine the year of my vert poster. Based on two-tone color combo etc.

Is it early oval or perhaps zwitter??

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Nice to see these available, are the pins and hinges different so that they accept grease? The PO was very excited to have had the hinges 'updated' with later mirror studs.

Ad states up to 59, the latest Ive seen was 56. Anyone know when the cutoff was?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2470726

Any repro springs and caps?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hey T,
Ricardo has been making them for a while a little more pricey though. He also has the the pins.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=684093
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=554339

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Nice to see these available, are the pins and hinges different so that they accept grease? The PO was very excited to have had the hinges 'updated' with later mirror studs.

Ad states up to 59, the latest Ive seen was 56. Anyone know when the cutoff was?

None of the three pairs of Kabrio doors (1957) in my storage have the door hinge grease fittings/pins.

Does a modern-day grease gun fit onto and hold onto those smooth sided repro fittings and then accept grease. I would have thought that todays grease guns needed that round ball type grease fitting head to work? Anyway, my '57 doesn't use 'em...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:

None of the three pairs of Kabrio doors (1957) in my storage have the door hinge grease fittings/pins.
Bill Bowman

Wow Bill, how many verts are you building Very Happy Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Ha!

Only one complete Kabriolett, but three used pairs of doors, two used decklids, two used roof frames and lots of duplicate used parts to pick from when the project kicks off in earnest...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Gentlemen, what color options were available in 1953 for convertibles? Pictures of each option would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
Gentlemen, what color options were available in 1953 for convertibles? Pictures of each option would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/52_55_color_book.php
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
ruvwen wrote:

Many thanks!

Does anyone have pics of 53 convertibles painted in L273 Metallic Beige and L210 Beige-Green?

thanks
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
Many thanks!

Does anyone have pics of 53 convertibles painted in L273 Metallic Beige and L210 Beige-Green?

thanks

Until you asked I never looked at the earlier vert colors and that L273 also stood out to me when looking over the options.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I have an NOS offset spoke 1956 and newer steering wheel here for use on my project Kabrio. I bought it from VW themselves over twenty years ago during a visit to the Volkswagen "Siftung Automuseum" parts department in Wolfsburg... I about took a dump right then and there when I saw it on the shelf, asked if it was truely available and immediately put it in my shopping cart (yes, they had small rolling shopping carts back then to roam the dimly lit aisles of the dusty old VW parts department!) and I purchased it for well under a hundred dollars! A great score!

As you can see below it does not have an cancelling ring for the USA spec turn signal lever attached to the lower/underside. Those two countersunk holes do not look like they are threaded. Did Euro-specification "semaphore" steering wheels have a self- cancelling system?

My original patina'd '57 steering wheel original to the car does have the cancelling ring in place but I see no screws holding the self-cancelling ring in place onto the wheel. Could it be pressed in place or maybe glued in place? It doesn't look like there are any screws to remove or install the cancelling ring and then screw it to the NOS wheel.

If I decide to keep this convertible a USA-spec turn signal Kabrio (I have all the stuff stashed away to mount up convertible semaphores), does anyone have an idea of how to best add a cancelling ring to this NOS wheel? Thanks for any advice! For that matter, does anyone have a already removed USA Oval-era self-cancelling ring that I could buy rather than mangle one off this old wheel?

Thanks for any tips you can share!

Bill

Just as a follow up, I was able to find an Oval steering wheel self-cancelling ring with both correct original screws from a Samba ad in Holland, and bought them. Took a while with pandemic affected postal service across the Atlantic, but they arrived safe and fit perfectly on my VW Automuseum parts department offset spoke NOS steering wheel, ready to be installed on my 'Dec '56 produced (1957 model) Kabriolett. Thanks to another great Samba.com seller.

I'm still on the fence as to the way I want to restore this old Kab. It was USA spec from the factory in black with the red interior, but from the time that I bought her all apart and in boxes back in 1993 I have been jones-ing to build it as a German-spec Kab complete with Kab semaphores, KPH speedo, Euro-bumpers/guards, etc (all of which I already have stored away). If I go Euro, I won't need the self-cancelling ring as well as other USA spec parts I have. Decisions, decisions!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
ruvwen wrote:

Many thanks!

thanks

anyone?

thanks
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I’ve looked through this thread and couldn’t find a definitive answer so am posing this question:
When exactly did the chromed window frames become an option? Was it during the zwitter production or purely post zwitter?

Cheers. Dave

Last edited by bally on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I recently dug out a nice used windshield SIGLA AS-1 convertible windshield I had stashed away for my '57 Kabriolett.

When I took a few measurements, it looks like the glass is about 305 or maybe 306 mm tall in the center of the glass at it's narrowest point. The glass is about 1,038 mm or so wide at it's widest point low on the glass. I crudely tried to measure the inner opening of the Kabriolett's window frame in about the same locations, I came up with approximately 320 mm tall in the middle and approximately 1,060 mm wide at the widest point down low. Looks like I probably have the right sized windshield glass for the car.

Next question is about the AS-1 watermark. Does this indicate laminated "safety glass" or will it shatter into sharp flying shards if struck? I think I'm leaning toward having a laminated safety glass windshield, if I have to hunt one down. Not sure what type of glass windshield (safety or shatter) Kafer-Nostalgie" is selling in their Samba.com classified ad. Also I noticed what I assume might be a "date code" of some type along the bottom edge of the glass: 406 Translation?

Last question: anyone have an idea of what type and brand of watermark/logo a USA delivery Oval Beetle windshield should have in the 1957 model year??? I guess I could live without a watermark, as long as I can find/buy a new 5mm thick newly cut Kab windshield somewhere. Thanks for any info you can provide...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 195 of 206

Jump to: