Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

A pretty cool looking Oval Kab from the one photo! Black too!

My Kabriolett project was black from the factory, but came to me already refinished mid-project from the PO and in primer. The four original fenders are still in original paint black. I've been agonizing for the past 30 years about whether to re-create the US spec car in black as it left the Karmann plant, or go with what I'm leaning towards, a L333 blue paint job and a Euro delivery spec restoration. Then "Skim" has to go and post that gorgeous black Kab photo and make me question my preferences again! Pffft!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Wow, we are on our 200th page! Congratulations everyone!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eagle1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Looking for the rear window metal frame on a 1956 convertible, if anyone has one for sale or know of someone that repops them.

Thanks Dave
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

eagle1 wrote:
Looking for the rear window metal frame on a 1956 convertible, if anyone has one for sale or know of someone that repops them.

Thanks Dave

Me too. I put off buying one from Randy when he was reproducing them, waited too long.
eagle1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Which Randy was reproducing them, any contact info.

I had one around 10years ago, but some how I threw it out , crazy. Now I am looking for one.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

eagle1 wrote:
Which Randy was reproducing them, any contact info.

I had one around 10years ago, but some how I threw it out , crazy. Now I am looking for one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692433

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
A pretty cool looking Oval Kab from the one photo! Black too!

My Kabriolett project was black from the factory, but came to me already refinished mid-project from the PO and in primer. The four original fenders are still in original paint black. I've been agonizing for the past 30 years about whether to re-create the US spec car in black as it left the Karmann plant, or go with what I'm leaning towards, a L333 blue paint job and a Euro delivery spec restoration. Then "Skim" has to go and post that gorgeous black Kab photo and make me question my preferences again! Pffft!

Bill

Thanks Bill. It has a very cool back story. Samba member jcannon from Colorado owned it roughly 20 or more years ago, then he sold it to a guy in Italy. It then made its way to the UK before I bought it. The birth certificate shows it was delivered to Paris France when it was new.
I was able to find this out from a post that jcannon made in this thread back in 2009 that my car was the one he sold on the samba over 20 years ago. The vin number told the truth.
This thread helped me learn the history of my car.
It sure is a small world.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Skim,
Hands down in my opinion on just your pics this is the cleanest looking vert around !! But then again all your cars are amazing.
Quote:

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hi "Skim",

Gorgeous Kabriolett! I noticed in your initial photo that you had Foxcraft skirts on the rear wheels in your later photo that you have them removed. Also, you have a tan vinyl or possibly leather interior. Is that an original interior or has been redone? My black original paint Kabriolett came with it's original sort of tomato red vinyl upholstery in rather nice condition. And it's fun to see a different color of upholstery on a black car, I'm assuming both were available to choose from back then.

That's a ride to be proud of!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Agree with Bill, very fine example of a gorgeous Kab, black on black is a fine combination.
I’m still in search for the correct Sun visors. Which my car is lacking..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

Merry Christmas!

If you already have the interior mirror assembly and the chromed posts on both sides for the transparent "rectangular" shaped sun visors, but are missing those Kabrio specific "rectangular" visors (one long, one short) you are probably gonna need to pull the trigger and buy Ricardo's (in Argentina) L & R reproduction visors to complete your assembly. They appear to look correct and nice in his Samba.com ad photos. Not cheap, but what is on an early Kabriolett. Maybe someone who has bought 'em can chime in here with a quality report/review?
Anything used will probably be weathered, beaten, cracked, etc, that is "IF" you can even find any.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Yes Bill, happy holidays to you and the wife.
I have contacted him on serval occasions,though his responses are vague?
I will attempt again after the holidays.
Bill, my 55 is coming to a completion by end of Dec. 2yrs from date of purchase.
Full photo documentation on I’m done.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi "Skim",

Gorgeous Kabriolett! I noticed in your initial photo that you had Foxcraft skirts on the rear wheels in your later photo that you have them removed. Also, you have a tan vinyl or possibly leather interior. Is that an original interior or has been redone? My black original paint Kabriolett came with it's original sort of tomato red vinyl upholstery in rather nice condition. And it's fun to see a different color of upholstery on a black car, I'm assuming both were available to choose from back then.

That's a ride to be proud of!

Bill

Hey Bill. The Foxcraft skirts are on it now. That pic above was from before.
As for the interior, it’s one of those things I’ll never truly know. Lenny at West Coast did it back in 2020. There were no clues to the original so it’s kind of like “what color was T Rex?” lol.
The tan color seems to lend itself nicely though.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Wing window frame rubber..

How does this look?

The front bit just hangs free? Or should it be stuck to the door?

Read through Lar's pages but could not see how he addressed this.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I can't help but guess that that "flap" of rubber is probably attached to the door leading edge somehow. I have three pairs of Oval Beetle Kab doors here and will take a look and post later...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

following to factory repair guideline it was fixed by glueing with 'Original-VW-Kleber D12'. i have attached the respective side of the manual.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Yep, I took a look at one of one of my doors and I can indeed add that the original seal is still there and glued down over the upper screw on the angled/sloped surface on the forward edge of the door.

So a glue will be what you need. But I could be wrong, but looking at your photo, it also looks like your seal is a little too far forward on that door, as it looks to be hanging over the downward sloping surface by about 1/4 inch too much? I suspect that your seal somehow needs to slide backward toward the rear of the car a little more so that the downward-sloped rubber sits right on the sloped metal door with no gap!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
cdavis87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I’m going to start thinning out my herd, and was wondering what the current value would be.

VERY ROUGH bamboo yellow 57 vert. Clear sc title. All body panels present but roof frame is not

I have a few 36’s and split cases
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yep, I took a look at one of one of my doors and I can indeed add that the original seal is still there and glued down over the upper screw on the angled/sloped surface on the forward edge of the door.

So a glue will be what you need. But I could be wrong, but looking at your photo, it also looks like your seal is a little too far forward on that door, as it looks to be hanging over the downward sloping surface by about 1/4 inch too much? I suspect that your seal somehow needs to slide backward toward the rear of the car a little more so that the downward-sloped rubber sits right on the sloped metal door with no gap!

Bill

Thanks Bill!
After getting the wing window frame installed the seal will fit just fine. I am now on to working the door window mess along with the door rubber which also seems to be in the way with this bit of rubber.
Slow but unsure is the way for me.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Thanks Bill!
After getting the wing window frame installed the seal will fit just fine. I am now on to working the door window mess along with the door rubber which also seems to be in the way with this bit of rubber.
Slow but unsure is the way for me.

Those countersunk external tooth lock washers kinda cool. I wonder if Belmetric or McMaster-Carr or Grainger has 'em, as other than using my surface rusty originals and having them plated, I'd just buy new ones if available...
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 200 of 206

Jump to: