Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1500Club Architects (Not Really) Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orbittron wrote:
Not in the 1500 club; I have a Fastback and '69 Square, but I am a Landscape Architect and Urban Planner.

I also went to an Indiana High School- Bloomington- back in the 80's and took architectural drafting, but never heard of Landscape Architecture until after I went to school for fine arts (IU) and dropped out. I graduated with a degree in Landscape Architecture (LSU) at age 32.

Landscape Architecture for the majority of LA's, including myself has very little to do with planting design but more about Site design/planning, Accessibility, storm water mitigation and project management. The U.S. Gov. description here: http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos039.htm#nature
The job is a lot of hard work (mentally), late nights and deadlines, but is very rewarding; LA's earn higher salaries than equally experienced architects Very Happy and it's great to watch people using and enjoying a space that you have designed.

My office has a laser cutter and I have wanted to create something for my cars with it. I just haven't figured out what yet. Cool Ideas?

Thank you for the link; will read when I am caloried.

Architects have to pull late nighters, they do not end at graduation. I have not done one with no sleep, but there are some that can do it. I try and get it done ahead of time, but it does not always work out. Architecture is a career of love: long hours and very little pay.

Laser cutter! Shocked Lucky man, those things are righteous, man! Expensive too! You can create any metal auto part so long as you can AutoC.A.D. it. Cannot come up with anything right now.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
t3kg wrote:
The Cal Poly architecture program was really heard to get into back then too, which I found out the hard way.

If you're from Rancho Penasquitos you probably went to Mt. Carmel. I was in one of Mt. Carmel's first few graduating classes (1980).

Wholy shit it gets weirder! My x-brother in law graduated then as well from there. Steve Maze a pole vaulter? My sister went to grad 81 Tracy Weigel? They would always brag about the dirt side walks at Mt Carmel.

The name Steve Maze rings a bell. I ran track in high school so we would have gone to the same meets. I don't remember Tracy, but if I looked at an old annual it all might come back to me.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we architect and design types are drawn to Type 3s because they look like those little cars they put in architectural models?
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a member, no real desire to be a member, although an early notch would be a nice addition...

neither my undergrad nor my post-graduate degrees are in anything remotely related to architecture (BA in Communications and MS in HRD)...

furthering your theory, apparently...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
not a member, no real desire to be a member, although an early notch would be a nice addition...

neither my undergrad nor my post-graduate degrees are in anything remotely related to architecture (BA in Communications and MS in HRD)...

Well let me just go on the record that this thread should be for all T3 architecuraly enclined individuals and not just 1500 club people. So please, welcome put your story in.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
blankmange wrote:

Well let me just go on the record that this thread should be for all T3 architecuraly enclined individuals and not just 1500 club people. So please, welcome put your story in.

thank you for the inclusion, but my only brush with architecture was 2 years of drafting in high school...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
orbittron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Original and custom chrome script etc. would be nice?

Thought about that one, but it can't cut metal that thick.

I could do the engine lid and scribe in the Auf & Zu. The cutter works from AutoCAD drawings or jpegs.
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
blankmange wrote:

Most certainly....I just labeled it 1500Club since it came from that thread up above, and where the hijackers came from..... Wink

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Joe, why did you change majors? I am sure it has better start up pay, and a nine to five, but just curious.

much better pay, and I want to end up designing my own spaceships anyway-- so that's where I ended up. My opinion at the time, and it still holds true for the most part, is that architecture is an extremely competitive field, and designs that some might think are stupid or uninteresting NOW end up being seen as visionary and before their time-- I just don't particularly want to end up working hard only to be recognized after I'm dead Laughing

plus I get to play with welders, CNC machines, Laser cutters, and I get extensive CAD and Pro-E experience-- and that is more interesting to me than drawing everything by hand (plus i suck at drawing)
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Joe, why did you change majors? I am sure it has better start up pay, and a nine to five, but just curious.

much better pay, and I want to end up designing my own spaceships anyway-- so that's where I ended up. My opinion at the time, and it still holds true for the most part, is that architecture is an extremely competitive field, and designs that some might think are stupid or uninteresting NOW end up being seen as visionary and before their time-- I just don't particularly want to end up working hard only to be recognized after I'm dead Laughing

plus I get to play with welders, CNC machines, Laser cutters, and I get extensive CAD and Pro-E experience-- and that is more interesting to me than drawing everything by hand (plus i suck at drawing)

I was thinking about changing. But, Architecture is easier than other options. Very flexible, and I love it.

Very few Architects draft by hand. You know Frank Gehry? He uses an aviation computer program to design with. I have a copy of the article if you want to read it.

I used to think the computer is the answer, but no longer. Beleive it more now that I just spent five hours figuring out where the program was on the hard drive, why it was missing a .ddl, removing it, and reinstalling it for the tenth or so time.

Now, I sketch, real loose. Tighten it up, and go draft and calculate it on the computer. Print it, and trace over the print, fixing and adding.

It is hard to not want recognition. I was like that, and now I hardly care. It is God who should get the recognition. I know in my heart that I have improved this world, and can leave. Garret, my cousin has helped, maybe more now that he has gone to be with Him.

If I do property development, it will be recognized. It may be after I am gone. Maybe they will even know my early work. Vincent van Gogh was recognized after death, like most artists. A lot of architects are artists. I have taken it further with my paintings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

I was thinking about changing. But, Architecture is easier than other options. Very flexible, and I love it.

Very few Architects draft by hand. You know Frank Gehry? He uses an aviation computer program to design with. I have a copy of the article if you want to read it.

I used to think the computer is the answer, but no longer. Beleive it more now that I just spent five hours figuring out where the program was on the hard drive, why it was missing a .ddl, removing it, and reinstalling it for the tenth or so time.

Now, I sketch, real loose. Tighten it up, and go draft and calculate it on the computer. Print it, and trace over the print, fixing and adding.

It is hard to not want recognition. I was like that, and now I hardly care. It is God who should get the recognition. I know in my heart that I have improved this world, and can leave. Garret, my cousin has helped, maybe more now that he has gone to be with Him.

If I do property development, it will be recognized. It may be after I am gone. Maybe they will even know my early work. Vincent van Gogh was recognized after death, like most artists. A lot of architects are artists. I have taken it further with my paintings.

in terms of recognition, i meant money. A lot of architects end up slaving over housing developments and other equally boring cookie cutter projects that hardly justify the years they spent in school and pay them a pittance for it.

as for drafting by hand... you must be joking Laughing the architecture students here aren't ALLOWED to use the computer until the final stages of the project, and only for the 3D rendering. they must do ALL their drawings by hand first! Most of the employers and internships also require them to do the "bitch work" that other architects can farm out-- the hand drafting portion. my roomates never tire of complaining about this! hahahah
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
I have a bachelors in Modern Languages and a masters in German. I went to law school for a year.

Never even thought about architecture.

This is probably why I'm not a 1500 club member.

LOL Laughing
The First Invasion
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took drafting in high school, using drafting pencils, and a blue-print machine. I remember spending so much time learning to print in architectual script (or whatever it's called)...at least now I know where my Dad's penmanship comes from Laughing In middle school, as an art project, we had to design our "dream house" (like a middle schooler has any idea Rolling Eyes ). I was the only one who drew, then built, an accurate two-story house. Over-achiever. I thought a lot about architecture. Passed on it for veterinary medicine until I found out that college was weeeeeell over 4 years (I really disliked school).

In high school the PC made its introduction and I took to it like a drunk to whiskey and have been a programmer ever since. If I had to do it over again I would've gone mechanical engineering. No real desire at this time for any under-powered, bone-stock vehicle of any kind Razz
The First Invasion
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

in terms of recognition, i meant money. A lot of architects end up slaving over housing developments and other equally boring cookie cutter projects that hardly justify the years they spent in school and pay them a pittance for it.

as for drafting by hand... you must be joking Laughing the architecture students here aren't ALLOWED to use the computer until the final stages of the project, and only for the 3D rendering. they must do ALL their drawings by hand first! Most of the employers and internships also require them to do the "bitch work" that other architects can farm out-- the hand drafting portion. my roomates never tire of complaining about this! hahahah

Ah, sorry. Yes, nothing grand with money. That is why I want to get into real estate, everyone is going to need shelter. Wink

I am glad to hear that they cannot use a computer. In the field, computers are used. But, since a lot have not hand drafted, they do not know how to use the computer. If the firms are making them hand draft, there must be a reason for it. Students are always the ones that get the dirty work; it is that way in all most all fields.

When they complain, tell them that in the end, they will have a skill that few have. Have you seen the construction drawings from the pre-computer age? They are works of art, and can be better than the computer. I wish I could join a firm that required hand drafting, so I could get that good.

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
I took drafting in high school, using drafting pencils, and a blue-print machine. I remember spending so much time learning to print in architectual script (or whatever it's called)...at least now I know where my Dad's penmanship comes from Laughing In middle school, as an art project, we had to design our "dream house" (like a middle schooler has any idea Rolling Eyes ). I was the only one who drew, then built, an accurate two-story house. Over-achiever. I thought a lot about architecture. Passed on it for veterinary medicine until I found out that college was weeeeeell over 4 years (I really disliked school).

In high school the PC made its introduction and I took to it like a drunk to whiskey and have been a programmer ever since. If I had to do it over again I would've gone mechanical engineering. No real desire at this time for any under-powered, bone-stock vehicle of any kind Razz

Lettering, either freehand or hand lettering. I can do both, but prefer freehand. I hardly use pencils, especially when I can avoid it. I have mechanical mobility issues, and the pens work better, and flow nice. Plus, you can control the weights better.

Computers, huh? Something can be said about it being related to designing... Think

Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand drafting is where it's at. My lettering isn't the best, but I use mechanical pencils in different line weights and different lead to accomplish better lines instead of pens. I can use pens, but much prefer pencil over them. In my current job I use AutoCad, but my last job it was all done by hand. It's an art, and a good drafter produces work that the customer can use to really get a good idea of how their project will look. I've used 8 different drafting programs using 2D and 3D, but I'll always prefer to draw it by hand. Fortunately my work is good enough that a couple times a year I get a side job drawing by hand and I enjoy every bit of it.

I'm not rich, but I make decent money and can't complain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always preferred wood drafting pencils and a sanding board to blunt them perfectly! Luckily, I missed AutoCad entirely. Surveying existing buildings to install fire sprinklers was a trip, but it gets you out of the Office for weeks. Saw lots of excellent drafting work when we were in the microfilming business. My carpenter friends would pay for plans for their barns/additions jobs they'd get.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: