Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 SO23 Westy - Cabinet and Metal Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
grailoc wrote:
let`s say 5 meter required by bus,
5000/5 = 1000 bus Smile

Sounds like a lot of footage.. But at .15 foot.. Is still worth it... I'm down for a set to do all three tables

we have two conversations goin on here. I like both of them Wink Let's continue the gold trim one here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7373375&highlight=#7373375
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
Here are the dimensions of the rear roof section:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I have a couple questions concerning these measurments for the rear ceiling panel that were posted.

I have an original rear ceiling panel, but it was removed by someone who kindly ripped one side out of the driprail and damaged that side; I can not get a side to side measument.

I see in the diagram above that the front edge near the subhatch hole is 140cm and the rear is 136cm wide. Should the measument be 140 wide until you get to the 92cm mark and then be 136 all the way to the back?

Also, my front to back measument for this panel was 126mm instead of the 122 posted.

Here are a couple pics Jake posted of his rear panel; you can see the gradual curved cut on the side. It does not appear to be 140, come to a point and become 136 like the diagram shows. Not saying the measurments in the diagram will not work, but looking to find out what would be close as possible to the og panel.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/itskingsnake/61%20so23/interior%20refinish/P1030661.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/itskingsnake/61%20so23/interior%20refinish/P1030659.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/itskingsnake/61%20so23/interior%20refinish/P1030654.jpg

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
grailoc wrote:
Here are the dimensions of the rear roof section:

I have a couple questions concerning these measurments for the rear ceiling panel that were posted.

I have ann original rear ceiling panel, but it was removed by someone who kindly ripped one side out of the driprail and damaged that side; I can not get a side to side measument.

I see in the diagram above that the front edge near the subhatch hole is 140cm and the rear is 136cm wide. Should the measument be 140 wide until you get to the 92cm mark and then be 136 all the way to the back?

Also, my front to back measument for this panel was 126mm instead of the 122 posted.

No, The way I did it was I measured 136cms up to the 30cms mark then taper it out to the 140cms. When I went to install it, it snapped right into place. Good luck.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rear roof panel had no curve/angle change whatsoever to the sides, it was a straight cut from the leading edge to the trailing edge.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
my rear roof panel had no curve/angle change whatsoever to the sides, it was a straight cut from the leading edge to the trailing edge.

The originals I have seen were also this way. I can't say whether they were 140 at one end and the same at the other or not. It wasn't much of a difference if there was a taper at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
sled wrote:

The originals I have seen were also this way. I can't say whether they were 140 at one end and the same at the other or not. It wasn't much of a difference if there was a taper at all.
Thanks for the info.

I think i will use my SO-42 rear ceiling panel as a template and lenghten it to 126mm. Thanks for the imput.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I measured the SO-42 rear ceiling panel width and it is very close to the demensions posted in the diagram.

140cm at the front, 136cm at the back.

I measured the inside driprail of my bus and it is the same width in the area the rear ceiling panel will be.

My plans are to cut the new panel 140cm wide and see how the fit is.

Thomas Jefferson
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / pa Reply with quote

I know ... years later. But I thought someone who works on a SO23 might find it helpful since there was some confusion before on this thread and I don't want to start a new thread just for this.

I removed an og limba wood roof panel that isn't too bad (good enough to replace my cargo door panel Idea ).

- Only the measurement indicated by the green arrow (length) is constant. All other dimension vary.
- The white measures (width) are somewhat constant - my suspicion is that you could get by with 55" over the whole length.
- The red arrows are showing the placement of the hole for the subhatch. They seem all over the place. I will install the full new panel first and then cut this hole.
- The blue shows the missing wood strip - I am estimating about 1" wide.

... hope this helps.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide are the wood bows top/bottom sides? Also, the 3 main bows the the same width? Thanks!
grailoc wrote:
I finally finished the subhatch bow assembling today.
The process to redo those bows was very long but I am happy of the end result:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: westy Subhatch bow dimension Reply with quote

J=X=? Width? Thanks!
grailoc wrote:
grailoc wrote:

From the picture above, I did some measurement yesterday and I fall on:

B=K=Y= 25 mm.

Could someone confirm my result ?

Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank grailoc to encourage me on reproducing the westy side panel. Never did wood working before, and I enjoyed very much doing this.

Last edited by perello on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

Nice long panel
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

perello wrote:
Just wanted to thank grailoc to encourage me on reproducing the westy side panel. Never did wood working before, and I enjoyed very much doing this.

Happy that my hold thread helped/motivated others to resurrect those SO23 interiors.

this the side panel I did back in the time. I did it horizontal for mine.

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed this thread, but now I will refer to it as an instruction manual. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

A long time I did not posted pictures of my bus and the inside.
I still have to attach the wardrobe refinish the icebox, redo the rear atch panel and install the long side panel to get all cabinet 100% completed.
However it is still a pleasure to get the bus in the sunlight and take some pictures of it.
Normaly this winter the bus should get some love.... so more to come.

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

Stunning bus all around.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Stunning bus all around.

X2!!
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:

yup, nothing like a cozy s023 interior Smile

Last edited by perello on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Stunning bus all around.

X2!!

X3!!!
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: SO23 Westy - Interior Limba wood restoration - roof / panels Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite bus restorations, and now I am going to check the forums for status updates every day! Go Jerome!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: