Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Really dumb issue trying install slider trim
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Got tired of the raw looking slider door track inside without the stock trim so I ordered the piece that Vancafe sells. It seems nice but not long enough to span the whole track area.??

https://www.vancafe.com/253843196A-p/253843196a.htm

I don't know what it's suppose to look like as the track turns to the wall near the psng seat. Maybe Im missing another piece.

My main issue seems really stupid but I'll be darned if I can't figure out how to get it to snap into that lip. Anyone done this before? I've done window seals with the rope trick that was far easier than this thing! Maybe a similar technique to that is what the factory used?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Nope, it's one piece. It tucks into the lip, and that's it. I would recommend starting at the front, over the passenger seat and working your way back. It really does just tuck in from the top. If it's too difficult, a little WD-40 and a few taps from the top with the handle of your hammer should work as well.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

There's no room to tap it on the top. It's also way too short to make it all the way. How did it end in stock form? I can see where it tucks into an elbow piece of trim at the back but it looks like the end toward the front will just be sitting there raw somewhere on the curve of the track.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of it? My van is ex military, so interior is non-existent in some places, and I forget what 'normal' looks like.... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Thanks, so its suppose to wrap the curve? They must have cut this one short. There's no way it's going to cover the whole way.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I recommended starting at the front. Mine doesn't reach all the way back too.
Also, mine is black, so it should be longer, right?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Yeah, that's why I recommended starting at the front. Mine doesn't reach all the way back too.
Also, mine is black, so it should be longer, right?

When you have spools and spools of the stuff length probably doesn't matter.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

If it doesn't reach to the trim at the back, which it's clearly made to fit under, it isn't worth installing for me. That will look like absolute crap. I'm going to give them a call tomr. to see what's up, and get money back or demand one that fits. Ridiculous.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

I had the same problem with mine. It's properly flush in the back but only makes about half of that curve. Because it didn't make the curve, it split (rendering that section useless) and sticks out. I'm not happy with the curved section obviously. I plan on cutting it short and leaving that part bare.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Finally got this piece of crap part installed. You have to start near the curve and slide it down. That's the only way I could figure out how to get it on there.

In any case, its like a joke. I can't believe they sell this thing. I guess buyers are to believe this is how it's suppose to look when done.

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

I think I said this before. You start at the FRONT of the slider track, and work your way BACK.
Yes, there will then be a gap in the BACK. You use item #3 (255 843 188 A) to cover the gap.

I hope that helps....
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:

...ok, so no comment about the end cap. My bad.... Embarassed
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Thanks but I have the end cap still installed and it allows maybe an inch of extra play there. This trim is a good 3-4" too short. There's no way to make that gap up without a much bigger piece of trim installed on either side.

It wouldn't rob them of anything to cut these a few inches longer.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Really dumb issue trying install slider trim Reply with quote

Maybe pop it in a bucket of hot water for a few minutes, then stretch that sucker out as you go???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: