Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank balancing
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Crank balancing Reply with quote

I sent my 84mm crank out to be banced at my local machine shop and they called this AM and said that they could not do it on their machine.
I then called another shop that specializes in crank work and they say they have the same machine and could not do it. Does this take a special macine or what? Who in my area can do it, Western Massachusetts?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick is kind of close?? Confused
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple folks on this forum that do this. I believe NSRacing does. I don't know anything about him, but I am pretty sure he does.

Also, I think most folks do the entire rotating assembly (pulley, crank, rods, flywheel, and pressure plate). Everything is balanced together this way.

There was a thread recently on this (it gets a little out of hand towards the end), but NSR has some posts in it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340458

See page 3 for nsracing posts. you can pm him off these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me that doesnt make sense. i was under the impression that a crank balancer is a crank balancer not for any specific type of crankshaft

we will see what the gods say Wink lol

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tell me that they support the crank on both ends and drive off the center main. With their set up they have no room to get to the center main because their fixtures are too close together.

I found a shop in Greenfield MA about 40 miles away that says they can do it on their machine. I'll find out. They have a good rep around here. Thanks
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:
to me that doesnt make sense. i was under the impression that a crank balancer is a crank balancer not for any specific type of crankshaft

That has been my experience. I just took all my rotating parts to the local shop that does V8s for the hot-rod crowd.

But I wouldn't know one balancing machine from another.

Max
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF they can fit cranks from an 8cylinder, a short little vw crank should be no prob?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
IF they can fit cranks from an 8cylinder, a short little vw crank should be no prob?

Some older larger balancers have the "underarm" drive belt. It is between the trunnions. With the shorter VW crank, the arm is too large to fit under to drive the crank.

They can set it up so it is "overarm" drive but probably too lazy for that. Or they do not want to swap narrower belt. Or too lazy to move the trunnions closer together. Who knows.
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank balancing Reply with quote

128vw wrote:
I sent my 84mm crank out to be banced at my local machine shop and they called this AM and said that they could not do it on their machine.
I then called another shop that specializes in crank work and they say they have the same machine and could not do it. Does this take a special macine or what? Who in my area can do it, Western Massachusetts?

VW Cranks have needs of their own & when it comes to most machine shops that can do balancing & other work, it would be cost prohibitive to re-set the machines / tooling to perform one time jobs. The places that can do it, may not find it worth the time unless you're willing to pay additional fees which usually outweigh the cost of shipping the part to someone who is already set up for it.
With that in mind, I have Demello Machine Shop do all of my crank work / balancing on the air-cooled VW stuff. Knowing it will be done right is worth the shipping.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank is the easiest dynamic component to balance and due to diameter imbalance effects it less than larger diameter components like the flywheel and pressure plate.

I do all my balance work in house, but I won't balance a crankshaft without the rest of the dynamic assembly... Its simply a waste of time.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had the shop in Greenfield do it. He balanced the pistons, rods,crank, flywheel and clutch all for $200. Did it in 2 days and said that it was not a problem. He couldn't understand what the other shop had for a problem. Maybe they didn't want to take the time to set up their machine for a "little" VW. It's a welded stroker, 84mm, and he said it was not out much at all.

Thanks for the help. Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: