Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

I was told that this muffler was NOS for a 36hp bug. When I compared it to my existing 1956 36hp muffler, it has a couple of differences;
**It has (2) manifold heat tubes. MY existing and also the ones sold on Wolfsburg and JBugs show only (1)
**The tubes coming out of the bottom which connect back toward the engine are curved down or bent and the ones coming out of my stock muffler are perfectly straight back.
Also, the heat tubes have a small "kink" in them; is that okay?

Thanks for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717497
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Still not seeing images of the heat riser seals areas.......
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

I just ordered some 36 horse intake manifold to head gaskets for my 1960 Beetle they measure:
31.80mm OD.
Others that come in the universal engine gasket kits measure an OD of:

Heat Riser Gasket: 111251263A
As far as mufflers go I think they changed in 1955-1956.

ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Although I am relatively new at this, I feel you are misunderstanding my question. It has nothing to do with seals or gaskets. I will paste my post and question again below but I am asking that after you view the photos, why is the actual muffler in my photos, not the seals or flange area, so much different than the original muffler on my 36 hp 1956 bug? The replacement muffler in my photos does not match the original one that is on my car or the ones that Wolfsburg & JBugs sell. Have you ever seen a muffler like the one in my posted photos? Please take the time to reread my original post and look at my photos.

Following is my original post:

I was told that this muffler was NOS for a 36hp bug. When I compared it to my existing 1956 36hp muffler, it has a couple of differences;
**It has (2) manifold heat tubes. My existing and also the ones sold on Wolfsburg and JBugs show only (1)
**The larger diameter tubes coming out of the bottom which connect back toward the engine are curved down or bent and the ones coming out of my stock muffler are perfectly straight back.
Also, the heat tubes have a small "kink" in them; is that okay?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

If it fits the same, then it should work the same.

Personally easiest way I have to tell 25/36 HP from 40 HP and later is the heat riser gasket areas.

One or two heat riser pipes does not matter as long as the manufacture has one pipe positive pressure fed from the exhaust flow and the other negative pressure.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

As for kinked pipes, is it more the pipes were flattened so as to have same or close enough area to pass exhaust gasses thru?

Also can not tell from the images if it has one or two tail pipe connections...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Yeah, I am no expert at this either but reading, it seems possible that your engine may be a late 55 or something that did use a different muffler according to my 1955-1956 link above. Maybe under the Samba Technical above check Type 1 Vin/Chassis for your engine number?
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Shouldn't your '56 have two exhaust tips on the muffler? with the cutouts on the rear apron?
The 40HP exhaust looks almost identical to the untrained eye, but they are different, mainly the heat riser stands are diamond shaped on the 36, and the manifolds to hook up to the J tubes at the shoe boxes are different length and angle..If you ever have the opportunity to offer up a 40HP to a 36er, you will see what I mean..
Without some more detailed pics, you could have a 40HP bus exhaust there, but I'm thinking pre-'56 from what I can see of the shape of the heat risers
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Thank you,
Is this a better angle?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Looks like the 36 HP ones from the other thread right?

Eric&Barb wrote:
36 HP muffler:

40 HP and later muffler:

Then it is 36 HP.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

You will want to put the smaller ID gasket on the LH side.
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

No exactly; mine have two of the small risers, yours has one. The larger diameter tubes which are directed back toward the engine on mine are curved down and yours go straight back with no drop down or curves.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Not my thread..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ifferences
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Got to remember that lots of manufactures when the oval-early square window beetle were made by many manufactures to supply VW with that part. Plus there has been now many decades of manufactures of such parts.

Just a few examples from the gallery:

First one look similar?
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Yes, it looks identical to the first photo. However, the one on my 56 oval now looks like the third photo. The person I purchased mine from told me it was NOS. I would like your opinion; Inasmuch as I am a purest, would you go ahead and use mine which looks like your first photo but the one on the car now looks like your third photo? Or would you hold out for one that looks like your third photo which is on the car now? Or, are all of the ones in your photos period correct? I want to be able to say that I have used all original parts on this car.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

ienjoyvws wrote:
Yes, it looks identical to the first photo. However, the one on my 56 oval now looks like the third photo. The person I purchased mine from told me it was NOS. I would like your opinion; Inasmuch as I am a purest, would you go ahead and use mine which looks like your first photo but the one on the car now looks like your third photo? Or would you hold out for one that looks like your third photo which is on the car now? Or, are all of the ones in your photos period correct? I want to be able to say that I have used all original parts on this car.

Are you are trying to make your beetle a museum/concurs automobile or are you going to more daily drive it and enjoy? If the latter, would just install the dual heat riser pipe muffler and drive it.
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

To answer the original question, the flared ports for the J-pipes identify this muffler as 1960s or later manufacture. In addition, the apparent lack of shelf wear suggests this muffler is much newer; perhaps a Dansk. The external welds on the rear exhaust ports make it unlikely this muffler is Brazilian.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler: Can anyone identify if it is original for 36hp bug? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If it fits the same, then it should work the same.

Personally easiest way I have to tell 25/36 HP from 40 HP and later is the heat riser gasket areas.

One or two heat riser pipes does not matter as long as the manufacture has one pipe positive pressure fed from the exhaust flow and the other negative pressure.

... tried to put a 36 horse muffler on a stale air, 1961 engine and nothing lined up... is great you say, they are different, because of the heat riser .. and now, I know from experience, that they are different.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: